Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a roof vent (solar or otherwise) on their PM? I was thinking about getting one as pictured below (designed for boats), but stopped upon thinking ahead...will there be wind-noise rushing through my van @ highway speeds? Wind-noise is expected/accepted in a boat.

I thought buying a silver PM would help with reflecting the sun somewhat...it doesn't. :|

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have one of the above vents (Made by Nicro) and would not recommended the solar only model. Wind noise is not an issue, but they are not 100% water tight. I get a couple drops though mine if its raining.

The problem with these small solar models is that the fan moves VERY slow. It's a small fan, so it simply does not move much air when powered by the solar panel or by the small built in AA batteries that are charged by the panel. The model I have is a hardwired combo 12v/solar and has a switch between the two. Operating on 12v it moves enough air to keep the inside of the van well ventilated, but on solar mode it just can't keep up.

If I had to do it all over I'd go with one of the large Maxx Air or Fantastic Fan vents. The price for those is not much higher and they are much more capable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed response.

Can the Maxx Air and others run while the vehicle is off without significantly draining the battery? I want to keep the interior (somewhat) cool while on the jobsite, so when I go in to grab tools/supplies, I'm not walking into an oven.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response.

Can the Maxx Air and others run while the vehicle is off without significantly draining the battery? I want to keep the interior (somewhat) cool while on the jobsite, so when I go in to grab tools/supplies, I'm not walking into an oven.
The draw on the largest Maxx Air unit is 4 amps on high and .2 amps on low. So even on high it could be run all day and then some without fear of draining your battery. They also have units with temp settings that automatically open and close and turn one and off depending on the interior temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts