Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't satisfied with what is currently offered for shades so I decided to make my own. Eurocampers sells custom fit insulating shades but they are thick and difficult to roll up and store. They are fine for night shades but what about during the day when you want to see out? The most common RV shades are MCD, who make day and night shades. The problem with the day shades is they absorb the sun's heat.

Phifer, one of the largest producers of solar shade fabric now makes a solar day shade that is coated on one side with aluminum to reflect the sun. You may be able to purchase Phifer fabrics locally but the SheerWeave Performance + seemed to be special order only from everywhere I checked. The cheapest place I found was from www.floridaautomatedshade.com. There are several places that build roller shades for you but with our windows rollers just don't work that well. So, your options are velcro, magnets or suction cups. I chose suction cups as magnets are too difficult to install. Also, I purchased the shades in the Charcoal color so I can flip them around in the winter to absorb the sun's heat. The suction cups I purchased are easy to pull apart and reattach.

Materials needed:
Phifer SheerWeave Performance + 2390: http://www.phifer.com/suncontrol/interior/product/19/performance-2390-2410-2500/5/performance-2390-5
Make sure it is the Performance + as there is a regular 2390 that does not have the aluminum coating. The 2390 is a 5%. There is also a 3% and a 1% but I wanted to be able to really see out of the windows from the inside. 5% is perfect.

Suction Cups: If you research suction cups you will end up at the Adam's website as they are the best: http://suctioncups.com/pages/we-hold-a-phd-in-suction-cup-ology-1.
I ordered the small cup with 3/32" pilot hole: http://suctioncups.com/collections/small/products/small-cup-with-3-32-top-pilot-hole
as well as the plastic tack flat head in clear (you could also get them cheaper in white): http://suctioncups.com/collections/suction-cup-accessories/products/plastic-tack-flat-head-clear

I measured each window and did rough cuts on the fabric. What worked best is to hold the cut fabric up against the window and decide where your suction cups will go. Take a screw or something to poke a hole and insert the plastic tack and assemble the suction cup. Press the suction cup against the glass and move on to the next one. After you secure all the suction cups you can then see exactly where to cut the fabric at the borders. Once the fabric is cut you are done.

I sat in the van for a few hours and the fabric performed better than expected. Normally I can't handle the inside without turning the A/C on. You can easily see out but you can't see in. I'm pleased with them.

Here are the photos:
The aluminum coating is slightly shiny

·
Registered
82 Posts
jostalli-

A couple more questions--- How much of the product did you need, and did you use it for the windshield and front windows only??

You said the 5% allows you to see out the best, but you can't see in.. What are they measuring with the percentage? Does the lower % affect blocking the view from the outside in?

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jostalli-

A couple more questions--- How much of the product did you need, and did you use it for the windshield and front windows only??

You said the 5% allows you to see out the best, but you can't see in.. What are they measuring with the percentage? Does the lower % affect blocking the view from the outside in?
I covered the windshield, driver, passenger as well as my CRL side driver and slider windows. The rolls come in 94" and 63". I got two yards in the 94" and one in the 63". I had some left over so I cut some to cover my fantastic vent.

5% is the openness factor, which is how much light can transfer through it. I did not mean to say that you can't see in. I was just commenting that I could not see in when I tried. There are directional fabrics but this is not designed to be directional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts