Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
For my galley's drawers, I am now considering ball-bearing drawer slides. There are 2 options: soft-close or non-soft-close.

For those who have installed soft-close slides, would you use them again if you had a choice?

Did you find them able to keep a drawer closed with the motion of a van on the road, possibly rough roads? e.g. Washboard roads and/or potholed roads that harshly rock the PM side to side?

Or did you need a more positive catch?

If a more positive catch is needed, are the magnetic ones good enough? I have a few cheap ones and they were pretty weak. If I go soft-close, I might have to get stronger ones.

My drawers will be moderately heavy, due to their size (fairly wide, about 30 inches) and crude construction using common lumber and plywood (1x6 common lumber for the sides and back because I don't trust my woodworking skills to join thinner materials).

The other option is the non-soft-close kind and for those, I have some roller catches lying around (but not yet tested).

Registered
This was the first big issue with my van build. I built three fairly large drawers with soft close slides as part of my main cooking/prep area. They required a fair amount of resistance to open, so I figured there was no need for latches. Some test drives were done and as I expected they worked perfectly! A few weeks later I was ready to hit the road so I loaded up the van (Including the drawers). Not even 1 mile down the road as I turned onto the pavement all three of my drawers flew open violently! 馃ぃ

Empty the drawers worked great, but once there's some weight in them the soft close mechanism isn't nearly enough to hold them closed. What I ended up doing was adding 2 of these hidden latches to the back of each drawer (One was not even enough as my bottom drawer that I use for canned goods still flew open occasionally).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
This was the first big issue with my van build. I built three fairly large drawers with soft close slides as part of my main cooking/prep area. They required a fair amount of resistance to open, so I figured there was no need for latches. Some test drives were done and as I expected they worked perfectly! A few weeks later I was ready to hit the road so I loaded up the van (Including the drawers). Not even 1 mile down the road as I turned onto the pavement all three of my drawers flew open violently! 馃ぃ

Empty the drawers worked great, but once there's some weight in them the soft close mechanism isn't nearly enough to hold them closed. What I ended up doing was adding 2 of these hidden latches to the back of each drawer (One was not even enough as my bottom drawer that I use for canned goods still flew open occasionally).

Thanks! With those hidden catches, don't they need a 2nd "push" to lock them? And thus closing the drawers needs 1 push to get them "close" and then a 2nd push to fully close them? That was why I was thinking of using magnets with the soft-close ones. But the cheap magnets I had last time weren't that strong and now I'm doubting if even stronger ones could help against a drawer full of cans.

Those roller catches are even cheaper(!) but with them (and the non-soft-close slides), I can slam the drawer shut and they should engage whereas I'm not sure the roller catches can be used with soft-close slides because a benefit of soft-close is they absorb the force of a "slam".

My head is steering me towards non-soft-close. But I am attracted (distracted) by the smidgen of elegance that a soft-close slide will bring to my sea of crude woodwork. :p

Super Moderator

Registered
I went with full-extension slides without soft-close. RV drawers and cabinets need a positive latch of some sort. I chose push-buttons, but there are many other options. IMHO, soft-close and/or magnets are not reliable primary latches for an RV.

Registered
My soft close drawers wouldn't be good enough, but I have them behind a door so it works!

My overhead and kitchen cabinet doors use these:

Never had one open yet, (but we tend to stay on paved roads except for an occasional campground street)

They would probably work for drawers too.... under $2 per door/drawer. But, MsNomer's design is foolproof, easy and reliable.

Registered
Thanks! With those hidden catches, don't they need a 2nd "push" to lock them? And thus closing the drawers needs 1 push to get them "close" and then a 2nd push to fully close them?

My head is steering me towards non-soft-close. But I am attracted (distracted) by the smidgen of elegance that a soft-close slide will bring to my sea of crude woodwork. :p
At least on mine there's no 2nd push required, but you can't just slam them closed. You have to slowly push them the last few inches and honestly I'd probably go with the standard ones if I did it again. The downside to this latch style is that they do make a rather noticeable clicking/popping sound when opening and closing, but the cabinet contains most of it. I've also had to replace a couple over the last two years that kind of exploded for no reason, but they're not bad for around $5.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I've gone ahead with the non-soft-close slides.

And I will give the roller catches a try. They seem to operate on the same principle as Eddie's. I remember seeing them on kitchen cabinetry back in the day. If one doesn't do the trick, I'll try to double them up (2 at a time).

The pushbutton catches look cool. But I'm going to try making those hand holes that MsNomer has used. I find them simple and sleek.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts