Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a stupid question but when walking between the front seats, the floor is really soft to walk on. It feels like padding or insulation, is there a solid surface in this area to support the weight of a person?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It's fine, just awkward and poorly designed.
It's the metal van floor underneath.
The floor covering is a thick, soft polyurethane foam with a vinyl skin on top. They made it thick so they could carve out channels to run wire.
They should have used a harder foam so it doesn't squish when you step on it.
But you won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2016 136 low, w/u-haul package
171 Posts
I believe the foam is more for sound insulation in the cab area. But same effect.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not a big fan of that area either, how that got through the design process is beyond me. I have an aftermarket carpet up front, so I just added a sheet of 1/8" polycarbonate between the carpet and the squishy floor.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
260 Posts
Got tired of my stuff sliding into the back. I built this. No more squish either.
View attachment 65779
That’s my plan as well, together with a 12” deep foot rest for when the seats face backwards. How high did you make this step? Is it level with the floor underneath the middle cup holders?

Isn’t there the fuel pump underneath that squishy access door in between the seats?

·
Registered
2016 136 low, w/u-haul package
171 Posts
That’s my plan as well, together with a 12” deep foot rest for when the seats face backwards. How high did you make this step? Is it level with the floor underneath the middle cup holders?

Isn’t there the fuel pump underneath that squishy access door in between the seats?
I didn't want the wood forward of a line connecting the front of the seats. Level from there back. I used a 2x4 as a spacer ("4 inch" part). Vertical piece stands slightly proud of the horizontal just to catch things still sliding under acceleration.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We use the fuel pump access plate for stealth ventilation. We took off the screws and added magnets so we could pull the cover easily.

With the roof vent drawing air out the fresh air comes from under the van. Great in the rain and in the winter.

Embrace the soft spot :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On ours, the softest spot was between the seats. I chose a mezzanine step height that enabled me to extend its surface forward between the seats. So now we walk on solid wood. Much nicer.
Very nice, I like the one level floor but my van is a daily driver, I chose the low roof model so that I could go into any drive through. I need that extra few inches of drop behind the seat so that I can stand, well with some head tilt that is.

·
Registered
3500 159wb extended
13 Posts
On ours, the softest spot was between the seats. I chose a mezzanine step height that enabled me to extend its surface forward between the seats. So now we walk on solid wood. Much nicer.
I would like to do something like that in my build. Would you be willing to post a photo showing the step platform view from outside the slider door looking in?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,241 Posts
We use the fuel pump access plate for stealth ventilation. We took off the screws and added magnets so we could pull the cover easily.

With the roof vent drawing air out the fresh air comes from under the van. Great in the rain and in the winter.

Just adding since someone else is using the hole,
I cover the opening with 1/4" hardware cloth, magnets hold it in place, also have insect screen available if needed, to save wear & tear on the roof fan I used a 120mm 12v computer fan(stronger than normal) that sits on the hardware cloth and it blows air into the van, for me I find it more effective than using roof fan.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts

Just adding since someone else is using the hole,
I cover the opening with 1/4" hardware cloth, magnets hold it in place, also have insect screen available if needed, to save wear & tear on the roof fan I used a 120mm 12v computer fan(stronger than normal) that sits on the hardware cloth and it blows air into the van, for me I find it more effective than using roof fan.
Wow! Thanks for point this out you guys! I had been thinking of cutting vent holes in the bottom of the van.

A big part of it is that without venting, my roof van struggles more. I can tell just by the noise it makes vs. cracking open a window 2 inches. Your trick will allow me to test the theory without actually cutting holes. And further, I may be completely happy with the results.

Is there any road noise when driving? And problems with dust coming in?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,241 Posts
Before driving I remove the hardware cloth and lay the steel cover over the hole(unscrewed) and put the floor mat back on.
Technically the cover should be screwed on but I like to live dangerously.

As you said it allows one to try the hole in the floor method before actually doing it.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Before driving I remove the hardware cloth and lay the steel cover over the hole(unscrewed) and put the floor mat back on.
Technically the cover should be screwed on but I like to live dangerously.

As you said it allows one to try the hole in the floor method before actually doing it.
Have you or @Wankel7 tried driving without the cover on? Is there a reason you put it back on when driving? I'd test it myself but I've taken the PM off the road for now.

Edit: clarity

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,241 Posts
Have you @Wankel7 tried driving without the cover on? Is there a reason you put it back on when driving? I'd test it myself but I've taken the PM off the road for now.
IIRC while driving, road noise, air from the engine compartment will flow out the hole, after you stop warm air enters until the lower half of the engine compartment cools off.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I would like to do something like that in my build. Would you be willing to post a photo showing the step platform view from outside the slider door looking in?
No problem. The step sits on cleats on three sides with a movable support holding up the free corner on the passenger side. More info and photos in Shiny's build thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts