Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who is going to order one? What are your thoughts on the ProMaster? Im guessing some of us have gotten to drive one or seen one. Or read enough about it to make a decision ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine is about 2 weeks in in the order phase! It's somewhere in assembly right now. I did order the low roof, dark grey, bench heated seats, power mirrors with defrost, 136" wheel base, the appearance package with the fog lights, backup camera with the uconnect radio!

Can't wait to get it...I'm coming from a pick up truck with a cap. I've envied the vans for many years but didn't really like the low heights of the market at the time.

This is going to be a giant leap forward for me!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mine is about 2 weeks in in the order phase! It's somewhere in assembly right now. I did order the low roof, dark grey, bench heated seats, power mirrors with defrost, 136" wheel base, the appearance package with the fog lights, backup camera with the uconnect radio!

Can't wait to get it...I'm coming from a pick up truck with a cap. I've envied the vans for many years but didn't really like the low heights of the market at the time.

This is going to be a giant leap forward for me!
Wow what a step up, what truck are you coming from?
keep us posted on your new ProMaster. Did you get the chance to see one in person before ordering? I heard there's a seating issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow what a step up, what truck are you coming from?
keep us posted on your new ProMaster. Did you get the chance to see one in person before ordering? I heard there's a seating issue.
Ram, I kept in contact with one of my local dealers as they knew how anxious I was to drive one of these. I went to the dealer with a greater focus on the high roof and didn't realize the low roof is as spacious as it is. I'm 5'8" & I can basically stand up in the cargo area. The salesman grabbed the keys for the low and let me check it out while he put the temp plate on for the test drive. At that moment, I was sold on the low!

I am coming out of an '08 Tundra with an ARE cap on the back. I packed all of my carpentry tools in that little bit of space for 5 years and I'm very excited for a van in my life!

No local dealers had a package that was even close to what I ordered, so I have to wait, but it will all be worth it!

As far as cab space, I'm shorter than a lot of people who experienced some legroom issues. I didn't even notice the angle of the steering wheel as being bothersome.

I'll be sure to post pics and my thoughts once it's received!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats builderbob. I work out of a low roof sprinter and it is way better than a truck or regular cargo van. Your gonna love it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You have no idea. I made it work for quite some time. I was basically playing twister just to get to some of my stuff.
That's crazy, sometimes you just have to learn to work with what you have with where you are and never be satisfied, and clearly that worked for you and NOW you can get something suitable for the job.

I'd be interested to see what your carpentry setup is like in the Promaster, can't wait to see pictures!

Have you started shopping around for cabinets and everything else you'd need to have in the PM?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have no idea. I made it work for quite some time. I was basically playing twister just to get to some of my stuff.
I'd imagine.

You already think about what sort of setup you are going to run in the back of the Promaster for shelving?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since the Sortimo is outrageously priced, I found on masterack.com that they're releasing spring 2014 something called smart space. It's reinforced composite material that's supposed to be light in weight but the biggest thing to me is that it's a modular system. Check the video, it's pretty neat but may prove to be costly as well. Until then, I'll be happy to just have more space. I'm pretty heavily invested in a tool company called Festool. I pack a lot of my tools in their storage boxes and they stack on top of each other and lock together. It's a great modular system as well and for now I can stack em up, strap em to the walls and go!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Since the Sortimo is outrageously priced, I found on masterack.com that they're releasing spring 2014 something called smart space. It's reinforced composite material that's supposed to be light in weight but the biggest thing to me is that it's a modular system. Check the video, it's pretty neat but may prove to be costly as well. Until then, I'll be happy to just have more space. I'm pretty heavily invested in a tool company called Festool. I pack a lot of my tools in their storage boxes and they stack on top of each other and lock together. It's a great modular system as well and for now I can stack em up, strap em to the walls and go!
Do you have a magnetic tray for your tools to keep them all still while your driving? I know some people dont and sometimes their tools get unorganized or just hit eachother a lot while in their holders.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
So who is going to order one? What are your thoughts on the ProMaster? Im guessing some of us have gotten to drive one or seen one. Or read enough about it to make a decision ?
I put money down on a diesel one and will have to wait (159 high roof).
Today I took a test drive in one and was a little nervous about putting
money down and not having tested one.

But I am very happy now and am impressed with just about everything.
Brakes are awesome, Tight turning radius,incredible for a 159 wheel base.
Everything was nice and tight and handles well.

I am 5'10 and it was very comfortable. Could use tilt but what the hey,can't have it all.
From looking at the outside then getting in the back is unbelievable
cargo space. Stepping out of the side slide door and the ground is right
there very low to the ground. Other vans have the tall floor then a step
to get out.
So now I can't wait for mine and have a good feeling about this van!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I think and hope my sprinter is sold tomorrow. Think imma just bite the bullet and get the 136" high roof gasser.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I think and hope my sprinter is sold tomorrow. Think imma just bite the bullet and get the 136" high roof gasser.
Congrats on your hopeful sale! And purchase!!! I look forward to your feedback! This waiting game is killing me! It's like the carrot dangling in front of the rabbit!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was planning on the Sortimo but when you say outrageous in price what do you mean? I have yet to get pricing on the sortimo so I am curious. Smart Space looks pretty comparable other than the boxes and small parts storage that Sortimo offers BUT S.S. may not have all of their line out yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was planning on the Sortimo but when you say outrageous in price what do you mean? I have yet to get pricing on the sortimo so I am curious. Smart Space looks pretty comparable other than the boxes and small parts storage that Sortimo offers BUT S.S. may not have all of their line out yet.
I was quoted about $6000 for the General Contractor package by a local Knapheide dealer! That's insane IMO. Maybe this is all just new to me and I'm the crazy one but I certainly didn't anticipate 6K for some shelving!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was quoted about $6000 for the General Contractor package by a local Knapheide dealer! That's insane IMO. Maybe this is all just new to me and I'm the crazy one but I certainly didn't anticipate 6K for some shelving!

That is crazy. I wouldn't spend that. I would buy any used Adrian steel shelving and install em myself. That's what I did to my sprinter. Or just build it outta wood. 6 rand I could buy a nice used van with shelving included lol

·
Registered
164 Posts

Yea, that is pretty high but I have adrian steel and it is heavy so I would have to look at total weight and flexibility to see if there is a trade off. I really like the removable and lockable boxes that Sortimo offers. I planed on selling my express and using that money for an interior. Thanks for the pricing intel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I put money down on a diesel one and will have to wait (159 high roof).
Today I took a test drive in one and was a little nervous about putting
money down and not having tested one.

But I am very happy now and am impressed with just about everything.
Brakes are awesome, Tight turning radius,incredible for a 159 wheel base.
Everything was nice and tight and handles well.

I am 5'10 and it was very comfortable. Could use tilt but what the hey,can't have it all.
From looking at the outside then getting in the back is unbelievable
cargo space. Stepping out of the side slide door and the ground is right
there very low to the ground. Other vans have the tall floor then a step
to get out.
So now I can't wait for mine and have a good feeling about this van!
I suppose that your Dealer will take anyones money and I say that because the Ram Commercial dealer I have been talking with said he will let me know when I can pre-order and then and only then can he accept my money for a down payment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
8 Participants
carryon
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing