Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a productivtive weekend of starting my build which consisted of inserting roof fan, sound dampening, and glueing polyiso to the walls and ceiling (thanks to everyone that reccomended the great stuff pro gun, $ well spent) I have produced multiple questions. I have seen mixed opinions in other threads so sorry if these seem redundant. 1. My floor plan was 1/4" strips plywood between floor ribs, 1" poly iso, 1/2" plywood, laminate. After reading many build posts it looks like multiple people avoid the the plywood strips between floor ribs. I guess I am looking for feedback from anyone who has avoided them if they notice at all. 2.I was planning on using tech screws to mount all wood to the ribs of the walls and floor but recently read a thread where there were difficulties in attaching plywood sub floor to the actual metal floor. Is using nut and bolt the common practice?3. I have seen a couple people run wiring from solar panel through area for rear view camera. So far I do not have a camera but will probably install something after market. Any reccomendations on an after market camera and ease of running solar wires through camera mountaing area vs hole in the roof? 4. There is so much info out there on insulation and I have most of it down but insulating the ribs... Is it necassary to run thinsualte inside the ribs vs surrounding them with thinsulate. I am a rookie but the air space in the ribs seems minor compared with the actual thermal bridging effect of the metal. If the ribs are covered in thinsualte is it still reccomended to run it inside of them? I am planning on living in this thing throughout the winter in the rockies and BC so I want to make sure it is insulated properly but could devote the time and money to other areas if it is not needed.5. Does 12 gauge wire seem to thick for my fan, LED lights, water pump etc. Thats all for now and I appreciate any helpThanks

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
1. You don.t need them, I have taken my floor up and the polyiso is not harmed, they contribute very little to the insulation, probably nothing.
2. Self drilling screws will be fine.
3.It is not important. Go with a waterproof box where it is convenient.
4. Thinsulate or another insulation covering the ribs would be better for the reason you give- conduction!
5. Egad yes. LED lights would run fine on 22 gauge! The fan on 18. Water pump on 18 or 16. Use stranded wire protected as much as you can with wire ties and flex conduit.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
We do recommend pulling Thinsulate(TM) through the ribs. It's not as hard as you think it might be. We just ordered 72" wide Low-E from our supplier so that will be great for covering the ribs and spanning the entire roof before your ceiling panel. Most people don't need it but it would help reduce thermal conduction from the ribs to the panels. More important for dark colored vans or folks full-timing in colder climates.

I would go with minimum 16guage for the vent fan since it's probably a longer run from the batteries.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts