Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ProMaster front tires spin on wet pavement and terrible in snow. I just purchased new Mastercraft Courser, made by Cooper tire. They have awesome grip on wet, dry or snowy roads.

Has anyone else had this problem? We are a plumbing and mechanical contractor. Our PM is a 3500 159" high roof. It's extremely heavy. Front loaded weight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My ProMaster front tires spin on wet pavement and terrible in snow. I just purchased new Mastercraft Courser, made by Cooper tire. They have awesome grip on wet, dry or snowy roads.

Has anyone else had this problem? We are a plumbing and mechanical contractor. Our PM is a 3500 159" high roof. It's extremely heavy. Front loaded weight.
I had the same problem . I now disable the ESC when it is slippery and traction is much better. 2500 159, also front heavy service vehicle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The stock tires are truck tires; they're designed to last a long time and carry heavy loads but they are certainly not high-performance tires. Very hard tread compound, very high recommended inflation pressure. High sidewall profile, too. And they're probably built to a price.

My beef with them is that they don't offer much lateral grip. Now, a full-size van is not expected to be a sports car, but at least *some* grip would be nice. My other vehicle is a small car with high-performance tires and Bilstein coilovers (I pretty much don't have to slow down for corners - just turn), and the steering ratio is probably twice as quick. The van's understeer has caught me out a couple of times.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The stock tires are truck tires; they're designed to last a long time and carry heavy loads but they are certainly not high-performance tires. Very hard tread compound, very high recommended inflation pressure. High sidewall profile, too. And they're probably built to a price.
+1

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Blizzak W965's for winter use. A tire designed for winter driving. My first set of this model Blizzak's but third set of the line. Have always been very pleased with their performance on snow and ice. E rated so still capable of handling a load.

There's no way I'd try to drive on the stock Vancos all winter in New England...

By the way, anybody want a set of Vanco's with 3700 miles on them? They are great three season load haulers but for my use they are a bit of overkill. I plan on getting another set of steel wheels and putting a good summer tire on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts