Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 245/75/16 all terrain tires on order and was wondering if anyone here has used snow chains on larger rubber? I bought a set of Thule chains for the stock tires and they fit well, but i know it will be a tighter fit with the new set.

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Haven’t the poster’s who have installed the bigger tires found they can touch the wheel wells and trim? If so where would the chains go?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear looks like it will be tight, but I will only be installing chains on the front. The front looks like it will have room but I'm curious if anyone has any experience trying this out.

·
Registered
754 Posts
As long as you only drive in straight lines w/o turning wheels....

I don't know but remember looking at 'the lowest profile chains available' claim from last season when I was browsing...

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is a subject I was glad to see. I just replaced my eom tires with 245 michelin defenders (old ltx's) my rear tires couldnt possibly hold chains, only about a half inch clearance in the rear opening. concerned me when I left the shop. OEM was euro weight rated, to achieve same load they had to go up to 245, and they wouldnt install lower rated tires because of the gvwr placard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I maybe mistaken, but in Oregon, I dont think you can run front only. I know we used to run two on rear, but that was rear. Concern on front is the back end swinging around since it doesnt have the same grip. Sounds dangerous to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have BFGoodrich KO2 245/75/16. I use cables on the front only. If I drive 30 or 40 mph and go slow over big bumps and avoid full lock turns i don't get any tire rub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I maybe mistaken, but in Oregon, I dont think you can run front only. I know we used to run two on rear, but that was rear. Concern on front is the back end swinging around since it doesnt have the same grip. Sounds dangerous to me.
I'm in Portland. The postal service Promasters have all been tooling around with cables on the front tires only.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A little more information. I have after market rims. 16 inch warrior rims from Euro Camper. My van weighs 8100 pounds , full of cargo. My tires will rub the top of the fenders a little if I hit a dip hard or if im on the freeway and hit a large raised seam at a bridge or overpass. If I had cables on i would get enough fender rub to do some damage, however if I had cables on i would probably be driving much slower. When I get time I am going to flare the front fenders 3/4 inch. That should give me enough clearance with or without cables.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts