Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow/ice due in Portland tomorrow so I planned ahead and got some Z8 cable chains off Amazon ($78/pair) beforehand. Got two sets for all four and mounted them tonight, but took off the backs.

There is very little clearance at the bottom of the shock to the steel banding that holds the 'chains' on. Looks like it is going to snag on the bottom and bad things will happen. Struts up front, so no such issue.

Has anyone used cable chains on a PM here? Tried a search and came up empty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With it being front wheel drive...... Not sure why you would want to put chains on the rear. Stopping maybe up in the West Hills. FWIW, I have some type of cable chain that seem to fit great on the front. I am hoping the snow and crappy weather stays north of Salem. I am in Medford right now, and headed home to the mid valley late tomorrow afternoon. Hearing rumors of freezing rain there right now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't as bad as they claimed it would be, just light ice.

Took the PM for a spin with just the fronts and it carries on like and old wooden cart.

The PM electronics kick in telling you that you have low tire pressure, etc. I wouldn't use them unless I was stuck or simply had no choice, and under 30 MPH.

May need to get real dedicated winter tires/studs instead and use these to supplement.

As for the back tires, yes, just to help stop, but I'll bag that idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only takes a very minor accident to pay for really nice tires. I told my manager that it was either studded ice tires or I could stay home when the roads were icy or could get that way.... He pretty promptly approved the tires, :(.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts