Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I'm just wondering if this is normal in a diesel vehicle. I start up the van and let it warm up for a bit, then I'm on my way. A couple minutes later, I start to smell a faint odor similar to chlorine (usually by the time I'm on the freeway and on the throttle a bit more - windows are closed the whole time). The intensity of the smell comes and goes, but it's frequent enough to where I'm starting to worry about the hazards of breathing this. It's a 2016 model with approximately 7k miles, about six-months-old. I started noticing this a couple months ago, but just chalked it up to part of the territory of diesel ownership. Coincidentally, I swim a couple of times a week; I wasn't sure if the smell came from leaving a towel on a seat, etc. I haven't been to the pool in about a month, and the faint chlorine smell is still evident from somewhere other than a recent pool visit.

Thanks for any light you all could shed on this issue.

Al

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It is the smell of Ammonia not chlorine. It is the odor from the exhaust which is produced by the catalytic combination of Urea from the DEF and Nitrogen oxides in the exhaust gasses. Your metering of DEF may be a bit high although I can smell it from my exhaust at times if I am outside the running van. The real issue is you have exhaust gasses getting into your van, which shouldn’t happen! Perhaps the rear doors are not sealed tight. You don’t want to breathe the exhaust. GET IT FIXED.
Be safe and well.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
There is a service bulletin for replacing the rear door latches do they stay closed tighter. Have your dealer run your VIN to see if it qualifies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts