Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few things stacking up, so with the check engine oil light that came on last week I made a visit to the dealer for this AM at 7:00 AM. This is a local dealer I've never used for service.

1) Check engine oil light - last week it came on for a whole day at startup. After a few seconds it went away. After a day it disappeared.

2) Back up sensors - about 10-20% of the time they dont work and just 'squeal' full time when put in R. Like there is something 12" behind the van. Other times they work fine.

3) Shifter - about 1 in 20 times on startup when the shifter is moved into M the dash says something about a mis-shift and says shift into D or M or something like that. Basically it doesn't recognize it is in M. I move it to N and then back to M and all is fine.

4) Brake squeal - anyone heard of this issue before :)

5) Radio update - I figured I'd have them do it instead of doing the USB myself.

It took 25 minutes for them to "check me in". The process wasn't even really clear. They said they'd call me in the afternoon to let me know it was done. I called at 5:05 and they said said "ah, it will be ready in 30 minutes." I got there at 5:30 and the service area was empty but the glassed offices all around were full of "busy" looking types. I literally waited for 15 minutes before anyone asked what I was doing. It was 6:10 before I got my van.

Results:

- A bunch of "software updates"
- They ordered a latch for the "latch fix"

1) engine oil - no codes, no insight, nothing. They said it was because I had plugged in an ODBII reader that evidently created/threw "23 error codes".
2) back up sensors - same as above - no insight
3) shifter - same as above
4) brakes - "no fix at the moment"
5) radio update - paperwork didn't say anything had been done but the service mgr said "when they run the VIN it say what needs to be updated, and they do it" I suspect they did nothing since they would need to document it to get $$ from RAM I imagine.

So as I was leaving I put the van in R and it started squealing. I ran in and got the service Mgr to show him the issue and he said "it didn't happen when we were testing it. what do you want me to do?" I said, "I told you it was intermittent. I don't know what you need to do, but it needs to be fixed." We agreed that when the parts came in for the latch their tech would take a look at it. I genuinely suspect he will do nothing more than plug/unplug the harness, if that.

Other notes:
- The srvc mgr said they only have one tech for the PMs, no surprise really.
- He also said they had a van in for "electrical issues" for 2 months. I asked him if it was a Diesel and he said "yeah" but then he went on to say it was something having to do with water and oil mixing. I didn't dig into it since the story seemed to be dying, but just sharing what I heard.

Overall:
This was a serious D- or F experience. Terrible customer service and they seemed to mostly blow off the things I needed addressed. I'll give them another shot when they fix the latch since it seems like the srvc mgr may be a good guy, but who knows. I don't have high hopes.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
The lesson is to stick with large BusinessLink dealerships if possible. Check to see that they service a lot of Promasters before taking yours in. When I went to my one and only visit for service to take care of the recalls and to get my free oil change there were maybe 10 Promasters that I could see in the service area. I grilled the service manager about every issue I knew and he had an answer and history for every one. Dealership is Carl Burger in La Mesa (San Diego).

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
238 Posts
I had a few things stacking up, so with the check engine oil light that came on last week I made a visit to the dealer for this AM at 7:00 AM. This is a local dealer I've never used for service.

1) Check engine oil light - last week it came on for a whole day at startup. After a few seconds it went away. After a day it disappeared.

2) Back up sensors - about 10-20% of the time they dont work and just 'squeal' full time when put in R. Like there is something 12" behind the van. Other times they work fine.

3) Shifter - about 1 in 20 times on startup when the shifter is moved into M the dash says something about a mis-shift and says shift into D or M or something like that. Basically it doesn't recognize it is in M. I move it to N and then back to M and all is fine.

4) Brake squeal - anyone heard of this issue before :)

5) Radio update - I figured I'd have them do it instead of doing the USB myself.

It took 25 minutes for them to "check me in". The process wasn't even really clear. They said they'd call me in the afternoon to let me know it was done. I called at 5:05 and they said said "ah, it will be ready in 30 minutes." I got there at 5:30 and the service area was empty but the glassed offices all around were full of "busy" looking types. I literally waited for 15 minutes before anyone asked what I was doing. It was 6:10 before I got my van.

Results:

• A bunch of "software updates"
  • They ordered a latch for the "latch fix"

1) engine oil - no codes, no insight, nothing. They said it was because I had plugged in an ODBII reader that evidently created/threw "23 error codes".
2) back up sensors - same as above - no insight
3) shifter - same as above
4) brakes - "no fix at the moment"
5) radio update - paperwork didn't say anything had been done but the service mgr said "when they run the VIN it say what needs to be updated, and they do it" I suspect they did nothing since they would need to document it to get $$ from RAM I imagine.

So as I was leaving I put the van in R and it started squealing. I ran in and got the service Mgr to show him the issue and he said "it didn't happen when we were testing it. what do you want me to do?" I said, "I told you it was intermittent. I don't know what you need to do, but it needs to be fixed." We agreed that when the parts came in for the latch their tech would take a look at it. I genuinely suspect he will do nothing more than plug/unplug the harness, if that.

Other notes:
  • The srvc mgr said they only have one tech for the PMs, no surprise really.
  • He also said they had a van in for "electrical issues" for 2 months. I asked him if it was a Diesel and he said "yeah" but then he went on to say it was something having to do with water and oil mixing. I didn't dig into it since the story seemed to be dying, but just sharing what I heard.

Overall:
This was a serious D- or F experience. Terrible customer service and they seemed to mostly blow off the things I needed addressed. I'll give them another shot when they fix the latch since it seems like the srvc mgr may be a good guy, but who knows. I don't have high hopes.

I hope this helps someone.
Same for me with my 17 Ford Transit . Dealership was a Time Burglar... couldn't wait to get rid of the P.O.S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts