Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted one of these since I got my van a year ago. Want to be able to open the slider and leave it there for fresh air, yet not allow bugs in as we sleep or cook or relax when camping.

I've been in contact with Doug @ Plisse screens in Austin, Texas.

If I could bring my van to him he'd do all measuring and fabricating and install one for me. Here's what he says:

"Our kit for the Mercedes Sprinter van which is very similar sells for $599.00 and the installation is normally $100.00. I would do yours for $400.00 if you can bring it to us and I would pay for a rental car for the couple of days you were here. That way you could go off and do something while we worked on it. I have a carpenter handyman guy who does work for me and he normally does this type of installation at his shop that he runs out of his house. We would need it there for at least a couple of full days while we developed the parts needed for the install."

All things considered this is a very attractive offer. Except for one thing -- Austin is nowhere close, and my summer is already too full to fit in a trip down.

Thus, if anyone else wants to take him up on this, send me an email and I'll make an introduction to get you started.

Contact me here: mike dot curiak at gmail.

·
Super Moderator
10,870 Posts
MsNomer can probably help you out on this project for a lot less than $500 +
I'm sure she will chime in as soon as she is within wifi distance!

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
I got the original used in the Ducatto made for Winebago, you can buy directly from the manufacturer, here is the contact: Dan Rodabaugh <[email protected]>
Nice guy, He shipped to me by UPS and I sent the money later!.
Last year the price for a new door was $289 and a factory-refurbished door was $189. Shipping wasn't included.
It's tricky to install, important is to have the right height from floor to top, I had to trim my floor as I used 1" insulation + 3/4" plywood.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's tricky to install, important is to have the right height from floor to top, I had to trim my floor as I used 1" insulation + 3/4" plywood.
I have one that I got from Dan and it works very well. The installation wasn't too bad, and the instructions were detailed. My floor was only 3/4" thick.

You do have to adjust the tension as the instructions show. At first I thought it was pre adjusted from the Mfg, but once I adjusted the tension it worked much better.

I spray the threshold with dry lubricant from Home Depot (can't remember the name right now) periodically and that makes it slide very nicely.

Great addition.

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
I have one that I got from Dan and it works very well. The installation wasn't too bad, and the instructions were detailed. My floor was only 3/4" thick.

You do have to adjust the tension as the instructions show. At first I thought it was pre adjusted from the Mfg, but once I adjusted the tension it worked much better.

I spray the threshold with dry lubricant from Home Depot (can't remember the name right now) periodically and that makes it slide very nicely.

Great addition.
That's right, thank you for adding this explanation. My floor was higher because of the insulation. I also adjusted the tension and added a panel to the left side to cover the gap. The instructions are very good, but it doesn't mention to add the clips to secure the siding panels. Dan can send pictures with examples.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,970 Posts
I considered that screen before I made mine. At that point, Dan was still considering whether to market to DIYers and offered me the opportunity to test. He also had one for the rear that opened from the bottom. I backed out because I wanted the flexibility of easy complete removal when the screen is not needed. This is the same screen as used on Travatos, etc., and probably good quality as long as it is treated correctly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So 3/4" is the optimal height to mount the bottom door rail on? The travatos floor looks to only come up about 1/2" so I wasn't sure about the floor when installing one of these doors. I have the vanrug carpet and was planning on putting 3/4" wood over that and then flooring. Trying to figure out the best route for being able to have the correct height for that door rail.

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
So 3/4" is the optimal height to mount the bottom door rail on? The travatos floor looks to only come up about 1/2" so I wasn't sure about the floor when installing one of these doors. I have the vanrug carpet and was planning on putting 3/4" wood over that and then flooring. Trying to figure out the best route for being able to have the correct height for that door rail.
Take a look at he manual in pdf format that I posted before. I just took a look at mine and basically what it is the door comes with a threshold which is 3/4" height. My plywood floor is 3/4"and I have a vinyl floor on top, I was able to slide both under the edge. Look at these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Take a look at he manual in pdf format that I posted before. I just took a look at mine and basically what it is the door comes with a threshold which is 3/4" height. My plywood floor is 3/4"and I have a vinyl floor on top, I was able to slide both under the edge. Look at these pics.
Ok, it looks like I should trim back my vanrug carpet and install some 3/4" wood there and then I can still install 3/4" over the entire floor of the van, but just stopping short of the door area so it only has the one board 3/4" thickness. It will be an extra little 3/4" up after the sliding door threshold, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
Correct, I did that too, I forgot to mention I also have a 1" styrofoam insulation, so I also stopped short of the door and left just the 3/4" thickness. Good luck!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi Goldenraf,

I just received my door from Dan yesterday. I must say he's pretty laid back. He shipped me the product to Canada via UPS, I don't even know how much he's charging me yet. Good guy to deal with.

My question relates to you guessed it, floor thickness. I have downloaded the manual (very well written btw) but I'm not sure how much flooring I need to remove. I have 3/4" of polyiso with 5/8" factory wood floor on top. I will be adding vinyl on top of the factory wood floor, but should be 1/8" max. I assume the screen door assembly is designed to go into a predetermined vertical opening, which means I may need to remove 3/4" to 1+" to allow the height of the assembly to fit?

Edit: after rereading the above posts, it looks like the threshold must be 3/4" thick and mounted to the van's metal floor. So in my case I will remove a section of polyiso and wood floor, replace it with a 3/4" piece of wood that the aluminum threshold can be affixed to. I will then have a difference in height of 5/8", up to my factory floor. Does this makes sense?

Thanks
Shaun

·
Registered
499 Posts
One more question...

How did you affix the top rail to the clips? The package of clips came with what look like rivets, is this what you used? I'm hoping to be able to use self tapping screws as I don't have a rivet gun, at least not yet?
Thanks
Shaun

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I love self tapping screws! Just do what seems right. The tragedy of any error will come later when you are not so stressed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
One more question...

How did you affix the top rail to the clips? The package of clips came with what look like rivets, is this what you used? I'm hoping to be able to use self tapping screws as I don't have a rivet gun, at least not yet?
Thanks
Shaun
You can use a flare type tool. Most any hobby shop should have one. My girlfriend had one because she used to live in Utah and scrapbook : I

I found the below at Lowe's that I think would have worked, but returned it after I found her tool. Hers was used for buttons I believe.

Set the one side of the rail on something so the clip isn't contacting the surface and then go to town with your flare tool.

I also trimmed back my van rug and replaced that area with 3/4" wood where the lower rail will mount. I have 3/4" wood laid over everything after that leaving enough of just the 3/4" sticking out for that lower screen door rail to mount.

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
ShaunB,
I will take pics and post them tomorrow AM.
I used the supplied clips to attach to the upper side. Removing the door gasket first.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Getting ready to install the floor in my van with one of these screen doors. If I've read along correctly, I'll need to sacrifice a bit of insulation along the door in order to affix a strip of 3/4" plywood to the van floor for the 'bottom profile' of the screen door to rest on. I trust this sets the correct height for the door. I see at least a few of you have completed the install already. Any tips or updates on the installation or performance of the screen? I'd like to see how you've finished sealing off the gaps created by the curve in the van wall along the vertical/rearward side of the door.

I received the screen from D. Rodabaugh about a month ago, how long before he sends out the invoice?!? Starting to feel like I stole it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Getting ready to install the floor in my van with one of these screen doors. If I've read along correctly, I'll need to sacrifice a bit of insulation along the door in order to affix a strip of 3/4" plywood to the van floor for the 'bottom profile' of the screen door to rest on. I trust this sets the correct height for the door. I see at least a few of you have completed the install already. Any tips or updates on the installation or performance of the screen? I'd like to see how you've finished sealing off the gaps created by the curve in the van wall along the vertical/rearward side of the door.
I finished the gap between the rear frame of the screen and sliding door opening with some leftover FRP panel. This stuff is about 1/8" thick and pretty flexible. I cut a piece about 8" wide (and the height of the opening) and screwed it directly to the screen frame. I had to shim the vertical support just aft of the door opening so that the FRP could attach smoothly to the van interior wall. I'm very happy with how this worked. This screen is tremendous value and really adds a custom finish to the van. I believe 3/4" is the correct amount of subfloor to attach the lower track. You will also need to trim the black foam head saver to clear the sliding screen. I've tried to attached pics to help illustrate my install.

Shaun

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Shaun! Those photos are going to be a great help to me when I get to installing mine.

Eric

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I got the original used in the Ducatto made for Winebago, you can buy directly from the manufacturer, here is the contact: Dan Rodabaugh <[email protected]>
Nice guy, He shipped to me by UPS and I sent the money later!.
Last year the price for a new door was $289 and a factory-refurbished door was $189. Shipping wasn't included.
FYI I reached out to Dan and it looks like he also supplies Hymer with their top to bottom rear screen. You can see the screen here:

https://youtu.be/03kSJISrD-Q?t=40s

He quoted me ~$250 for the screen and sent me the instructions. I've attached them here.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts