Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 159" 2017 that has everything we want for options and one thing I don't want. We are going to build it out with the classic dinette forward, head/shower aft of that on the driver's side and a bike garage in the rear. Any ideas on how much trouble having that driver's side sliding door is going to be? Even if we never use it, I'm sure there will be design impacts, for example window options will be reduced because of the slider space.

Comments? Warnings?

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
That door can take a full sized window and being able to access the back of the galley to change water jugs etc might be handy. Plan to anchor to the floor as the door won’t do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I'm sorry that for your particular situation the double sliding doors is a negative, and I don't have anything constructive to add towards your particular build.

Having said that, the promaster I ended up with just happened to have the double slider, and in no time flat I grew to love it. Maybe, just maybe, you will too.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
We are going to build it out with the classic dinette forward, head/shower aft of that on the driver's side and a bike garage in the rear.
Seems like it might be pretty handy to have a slider alongside the dinette. Cross ventilation, expand the view, etc. One downside: you can't attach the table to the wall. You will have to use a post. But you could offset the post closer to the wall (slider) to gain more leg room.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm looking at a 159" 2017 that has everything we want for options and one thing I don't want. We are going to build it out with the classic dinette forward, head/shower aft of that on the driver's side and a bike garage in the rear. Any ideas on how much trouble having that driver's side sliding door is going to be? Even if we never use it, I'm sure there will be design impacts, for example window options will be reduced because of the slider space.

Comments? Warnings?
I have the same layout as you are planning (on a 3500 Ext.). I have no issues with the sliding driver's door, although initially I had the same concerns as you. It provides great access to my battery and lots of electrical work. I rarely open it but I can.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll check out the van this weekend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Driver side slider door

The driver side slider was the one option I could not live with out, we love our driver slider and use it often.

I have the same layout and the door adds an incredible ventilation and a great view to the great outdoors:)

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The driver side slider was the one option I could not live with out, we love our driver slider and use it often.

I have the same layout and the door adds an incredible ventilation and a great view to the great outdoors:)

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks for the pics Dave. That setup looks very interesting. Do you have a build thread? The 80/20, the seats and the swing away table all caught my eye.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, we went down to buy the van and found that it had an the idiot light on. Service will order the part and then deliver the van later in the week.

I know this is a commercial van, but I was a little jarring to see how spartan the cab is. Mostly state of the art 1985 technology. My phone has a bigger screen than that UConnect think.

Time to man up and order some stuff!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Wait- it has USB charger, USB input to the radio, Lights that automatically come on and fade as they turn off, two- count ‘em two glove compartments, 6 cupholders counting the doors. All turn of the century stuff. Up to date, well no but this particular van cab was designed in Italy just prior to 2006 so you gotta understand.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
That slanted thing on the dash isn't a cup holder, so where's the 6th?

I agree that the cab is clunky. Why so much black (that they call grey)? In Europe, that same cab is a pleasing light grey similar to Sprinter and Transit. Small issue, considering the overall product.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wait- it has USB charger, USB input to the radio, Lights that automatically come on and fade as they turn off, two- count ‘em two glove compartments, 6 cupholders counting the doors. All turn of the century stuff. Up to date, well no but this particular van cab was designed in Italy just prior to 2006 so you gotta understand.
I forgot to count cup holders. I feel better :)

In fairness, it does have Bluetooth and I think Android Auto. Still, my wife just got an Audi Q5 and that thing has some amazing tech.

Somebody mentioned a carbon fiber stick on overlay, so I guess I can get my bling there.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
Remember that hers is a CAR. Yours is a CARGO VAN, otherwise known as a WORK VAN.

At least the PM comes with bucket seats. My Tundra regular cab WORK TRUCK didn't even have them as an option.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts