Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

Since new, I have always had a hard time opening the sliding door on my PM with the outside handle. I have to pull the handle all the way out in order to open it, and sometimes, it take 2 or even 3 tries to open the door. I checked to see if i could alter the tension on the cables, but I did not see any adjustments that could be made. Does anybody else have this issue? Any pointers on how to fix it?

NOTE: To it back to the dealer and they could not fix it. They claimed it operated normal.

Thank for your help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For what it's worth, mine does the same thing. I'm used to it by now, but everyone else has a hard time. Dealer replaced the handle once, and it was better for several weeks. Unfortunately, that did not last.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My dealer replaced some part at no charge, I do not know what. The problem is much improved although the back edge of the door now does not close flush with the body sheet metal -- it stands proud by about 1/8 inch. No rain leaks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've had... no problems with the door. Or if I have, I just haven't noticed.

What I have noticed is that you need to pull OUT on the handle much more than BACK. I've seen this when other folks go to open the door, they pull out just a little bit then try to pull the door open before its been released. Maybe its just the habit I've developed, but I do pull the handle out quite a bit, then back. Kinda what ya get using the same handle on a slider as you have on a regular opening pull door.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine got to the point where I couldn't open the passenger slider at all from the outside after the van sat for awhile with full sun on that side. (Inside lever always worked) Told dealer about it when I had the van in for an oil change. They made some kind of adjustment which improved it, but still takes a couple pulls on the handle to get it open. It acts like the first pull releases something which allows the second pull to open the door.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've caught my wife jerking on handle trying to break it.

I've tried to warn her......no, that flexible cheap handle might break someday

It works just fine for me when I do it two steps, pull straight out to pop latch, only then do I apply any side load on handle.

Love jimmbomb photo showing cable tension notches. Never knew they were there.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a TSB or any service notice on the slider door latches? I'm thinking there has to be since there are so many issues with the door. In my opinion the latch is the problem. It takes too much force to "pop" the latch. You notice that once it is popped the door operates just fine. Has anyone checked to see what the dealer has actually done? Is there a new part/parts?

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's a big heavy door. Bigger and heavier than anything I've owned before so the extra effort to open was expected. There is no power assist and even a slight uphill slope makes it harder. Definitely agree with two step motion. I've caught myself pulling back too soon and putting stress on handle so I'm more aware now.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was having the same problem with mine and it got to the point it wouldn't open. I took the inside cover off and removed the main latch housing and sprayed lube inside every opening I could find and put it back in and now it works better than it ever did! I'm guessing this is what the dealer does when people bring it back with this issue. I did it back and august and its still working great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
out of 12 posts, so far only 4 with info on high top, no mention of low top with this problem, curious if this is just a high top problem due to taller heavier door?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pay attention guys, this is very good advise. I have been following this procedure and it works! by pulling straight out, you not only release it, but you also pull it into the opening angle required to open. Once in a while I have to pull out the back end to get it going, but rarely.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the problem with my low top. Needs excessive force/multiple tries to coax the latch to release from the outside. Inside latch works fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had... no problems with the door. Or if I have, I just haven't noticed.

What I have noticed is that you need to pull OUT on the handle much more than BACK. I've seen this when other folks go to open the door, they pull out just a little bit then try to pull the door open before its been released. Maybe its just the habit I've developed, but I do pull the handle out quite a bit, then back. Kinda what ya get using the same handle on a slider as you have on a regular opening pull door.
After a week or two of intermittent "issues" we realized that you do need to pull straight out for it to work properly.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I was having the same problem with mine and it got to the point it wouldn't open. I took the inside cover off and removed the main latch housing and sprayed lube inside every opening I could find and put it back in and now it works better than it ever did! I'm guessing this is what the dealer does when people bring it back with this issue. I did it back and august and its still working great.
Charger.. is there a way in which you could make a DIY with photos?
That would help alot for folks to try what youve done to get things working much better.
Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Charger.. is there a way in which you could make a DIY with photos?
That would help alot for folks to try what youve done to get things working much better.
Thanks
Sure ill try to do it today its supposed to warm up and I would like to clean the inside after our ice fishing trip this weekend. ill try to do it today.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts