Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I have to really shove the rear of the door in to get it to completely close, I feel like I'm going to dent it - is it just my PM or others having this problem? Anybody have a solution (some sort of an adjustment maybe)?

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Mine is hard to close too, specially in my driveway that has an inclination, but I think there is nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The guy I work with has a chevy Astro and his panel is dented in from trying to
slam and push in. So be careful :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got the same issue here. I have found that I need to really slam that thing to get it to close all the way. I'm getting better at it.

When I first got the van probably half the times I closed the slider I would have to open it and do it again. Now I just slam it way harder than seems like it's good to do and it closes on the first try.

Another thing I do not like about the slider is the way the handle releases when you open the door. The passenger doors work fine. The release on the slider is too stiff. I plan on hitting it with some silicone spray and seeing if that helps at all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking it must be the sheer size of it, the force doesn't transfer well from one end to the other. The only way I can get it to shut is to push with considerable force on the other end at the same time I shut it and every time I do I look to see if I've dented it. Last thing I want to see is a dent in my brand new van, I'm not likin' this...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm thinking it must be the sheer size of it, the force doesn't transfer well from one end to the other. ......cut........
I think it's a design issue with all manually-operated sliding doors because there is little leverage to pull the door inward at the rear of the door. The mechanism at the rear has to convert forward motion into inward force, so speed (momentum) is critical. That's probably why "slamming" the door works effectively.

A heavier door does take more force to close, but it also has more mass to create momentum. The down side is that it takes more manual effort from the operator. For what it's worth, the amount of force required to close the side door was one of the first things I noticed on a ProMaster. I think my wife would have a problem with it. I wish Fiat and RAM offered side swing-out doors. That would work much better for me for an RV conversion.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish Fiat and RAM offered side swing-out doors.

>Swung out and folded against the side (like the back doors) woulda been great... this sliding door is going to be a PIA for many people.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I wish Fiat and RAM offered side swing-out doors.

>Swung out and folded against the side (like the back doors) woulda been great... this sliding door is going to be a PIA for many people.
No you don't. I had swing out doors on my last van for 15 years! Absolutely the most inconvenient side doors available. I could not get tools out of the side when parked in a normal parking space...pull a tool out, set it on the ground, close the doors, move tool and repeat until you've got everything needed. Never again will I get swinging doors. Stupid idea for a work van.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had difficulty at first, but if I leave the front passenger door open a little when closing
the slider or back door it works. :)

Foggy

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I had difficulty at first, but if I leave the front passenger door open a little when closing
the slider or back door it works. :)

Foggy
Must be cabin pressure ,I can see that. Great Idea!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My wife has a honda odyssey, push a button the side door closes. Wish the pm had that
Mine too. At first I was concerned with reliability but so far not an issue. On the other hand we don't open them very often, certainly not as often as would be required of a work van.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I drove an 1981 E 150 1983-1997 with a slider and slamming it was usual. If the back did not pop closed, lifting on the door handle pulled the back of the door closed. Lubing moving hardware and keep rollers and sliders and tracks clean helps.

Greg Hayden

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just noticed that now there's a spot where the door hits the frame when i slam it closed. Paint is chipping off the door edge and also off of the frame where it strikes.

Not happy with this.

The door definitely closes with less force if the back door is open.....but I don't always have it open when I go to close the slider.

I have the factory cargo partition which creates more cabin air pressure when I go to close the door.

And now the release for the door is intermittently failing when I pull the handle to open the door. Crummy design.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I think slamming the door is not good, but what can a person do?
Slamming the door will wear or change adjustments in the door.
For me I have a window that I leave open on the partition and open
the passenger door.

Wonder if the door cables can be shimmed to have a longer pull for the door
handle if you are having a problem opening the door?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the ideas.

I would never have started slamming the door if I knew it would go so far as to chip the paint.

Pretty certain the mechanism needs some lubrication or an adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
I thought about the window open idea also but then I realized the rear doors shut fine with nothing opened. I tried leaving a window open but it only made a slight difference in closing the side door. I agree, the best solution is right hand on the latch and left hand on the left side of the door, pushing in, when closing it. This is a weak spot in my opinion but so far the only one I've discovered.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts