Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to bring a string over here to the General Discussion about skid plates to protect the low hanging oil pans and exhaust manifold on, at least, the Gas Model. I don't know if the situation is similar on the Diesel model.

I'm also attaching the link to the string in the detailing section as well as some photos of what trail roads I'm trying to deal with in many areas here where we need to get to a customer's location off the pavement, sometimes a few miles, sometimes a few hundred yards. Still, the high centers concern me.

I believe that a skid plate can protect the lower hanging components above without losing much of what existing ground clearance is there, and without altering any air flow for cooling. Right now, the rear mounting points are my major question.

Using some other photos posted here, and some mounting instructions for some manufactured grill/brush guard products, I believe the front mounting points to be at the main bumper reinforcement, then down under the pans and manifold to a rear mounting point. I don't believe creating a full tub is necessary, like the plastic skid plates that were discussed in other strings which the factory decided not to install, but more limited ones to specific areas of the pans to deflect snow, ice, debris, and in my case, weeds, grass, possibly some sand mounds on these access trail roads.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51433

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dwight,

Thank you very much for the link. I have contacted them for information on a Promaster application with the gas engine.

I can't help but be curious how you found that, in that I've googled countless searches on every variant I could think of for Promaster and Ducato skid plates, and had no luck to date. Perhaps I went mind-numb at some point and missed it.

Again, thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update and another thanks to Dwight.

The folks in Europe you sent me to above, were reluctant at first to deal with a "non supported" van, in that they don't make the plate FOR a promaster specifically, let alone a gas powered one, but did agree to ship one overseas. I agreed to assume the risk and liability and they did get me an installation manual and more information.

I have not ordered yet, and still believe the shipping costs from overseas will still not offset the benefit of having a sound starting point, even though we're expecting to modify due to the gas engine in at least drain plug access points when it gets here.

Right now, I'm waiting to get the van in the air for service so I can compare mounting point notes but so far, everything does indeed LOOK or APPEAR to be the same on the promaster as the ducato, jumper, and what ever the other one is. In other words, engines change, but frame and mounting points "look" the same.

Will try to pass along info as/when we go forward.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wanted to bring a string over here to the General Discussion about skid plates to protect the low hanging oil pans and exhaust manifold on, at least, the Gas Model. I don't know if the situation is similar on the Diesel model.

I'm also attaching the link to the string in the detailing section as well as some photos of what trail roads I'm trying to deal with in many areas here where we need to get to a customer's location off the pavement, sometimes a few miles, sometimes a few hundred yards. Still, the high centers concern me.

I believe that a skid plate can protect the lower hanging components above without losing much of what existing ground clearance is there, and without altering any air flow for cooling. Right now, the rear mounting points are my major question.

Using some other photos posted here, and some mounting instructions for some manufactured grill/brush guard products, I believe the front mounting points to be at the main bumper reinforcement, then down under the pans and manifold to a rear mounting point. I don't believe creating a full tub is necessary, like the plastic skid plates that were discussed in other strings which the factory decided not to install, but more limited ones to specific areas of the pans to deflect snow, ice, debris, and in my case, weeds, grass, possibly some sand mounds on these access trail roads.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51433
You need a Jeep Wrangler. :eek:

or a Sprinter 4x4? >:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL.

Not so much on the 4x4 or Jeep, we did it with an Astro van for many years and 308K miles. The crossmember protected the oil pan. It was usually polished clean by the weeds in the high centers.

I'm just of the opinion that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And we do have a different option if those roads are too bad, but then, the cargo and tools are no longer "indoors", they're in the back of a more conventional truck. But we did consider other options, and apparently the folks in Europe saw the need for the skid plate that the Americans haven't yet.

I'll say this, though, I don't miss crawling in that Astro on my hands and knees, and full size Econolines and Express vans were no better on that note, and I'm sooooo glad we didn't buy a Nissan NV, so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL.

Not so much on the 4x4 or Jeep, we did it with an Astro van for many years and 308K miles. The crossmember protected the oil pan. It was usually polished clean by the weeds in the high centers.

I'm just of the opinion that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And we do have a different option if those roads are too bad, but then, the cargo and tools are no longer "indoors", they're in the back of a more conventional truck. But we did consider other options, and apparently the folks in Europe saw the need for the skid plate that the Americans haven't yet.

I'll say this, though, I don't miss crawling in that Astro on my hands and knees, and full size Econolines and Express vans were no better on that note, and I'm sooooo glad we didn't buy a Nissan NV, so far.
So... did you get the skid plate? Was it difficult to install? And... how much as it after you go it?

·
Registered
'17 136 HT Black
319 Posts
I saw this one browsing the web.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,026 Posts
I saw this one browsing the web.
I have that one. I installed it thinking maybe I would add a second alternator if I needed one. I never used enough power to really justify the cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts