Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took ownership of my Promaster a few days ago and my UConnect 5.0 Radio System doesn't seem to have the SiriusXM option. Does anyone know if this can be added.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know it can be ordered with the Sirius setup. It requires the uConnect so I assume it could be added. Give your dealer a shout.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You'd likely have to pay for it though. If the dealer can't install it on the uConnect, you can always buy a separate one instead.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Promaster with 5.0 Uconnect radio comes with free 1 year subscription to sirius / xm radio.

on mine, after I turn on the radio, if I press the radio button, it cycles from AM to FM to SXM (sirius / xm radio).

Can't remember if I had to do anything special when I first got the vehicle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I took ownership of my Promaster a few days ago and my UConnect 5.0 Radio System doesn't seem to have the SiriusXM option. Does anyone know if this can be added.
SiriusXM is direct line option for $195 list price. You will have to get the dealer to install the module, probably more than the $195, I guess.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Many vehicles can use aftermarket plug in modules. On my Toyota, the dealer only offered the XM module, so I bought a Sirius module from Crutchfield. There still is a difference between XM and Sirius. It mounted behind the glovebox and activated the built in satellite feature in the Toyota radio. Simple and much cheaper.

That said, factory modules can be easier. On my old Nissan, I bought the factory module. It mounted near my left foot. The mount and pre wiring was already in the truck. 5 minute installation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I traded in my Ram truck with an add on xm radio I called the xm folks and they agreed (after much effort) to send me a new radio for free since I had just renewed my contract. Now I need to figure out how to remove my PM radio so I can add a antenna adapter to it so I don't need that xm antenna cable hanging on the outside of the van.
Does anyone know how to remove the radio or is it possible to reach the oem antenna from under the dash? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since I traded in my Ram truck with an add on xm radio I called the xm folks and they agreed (after much effort) to send me a new radio for free since I had just renewed my contract. Now I need to figure out how to remove my PM radio so I can add a antenna adapter to it so I don't need that xm antenna cable hanging on the outside of the van.
Does anyone know how to remove the radio or is it possible to reach the oem antenna from under the dash? Thanks.
I have the same issue with mind. If anyone knows how to get at radio antenna let us know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you have ucconnect without XM the dealer told me that to add it they need to change the radio head and add the unit. price $2600.

its not a simple upgrade. almost any aftermarket radio priced over $200 is XM ready and you just add a box under the dash and antenna but not this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
XM Troubles

When I purchased my PM Van two weeks ago, I was told the radio could be upgraded to XM with a module for $195.00. Since the parts department was closed, this could not be confirmed and the upgrade promise with the price was handwritten in the purchase documents.

The next day I was told there was no upgrade available for my radio and that if you want XM radio in a ProMaster Van you have to buy it that way from the factory. I felt like I was lied to.

I called XM to cancel my subscription because there is no tuner in my new van. The word "cancel" was magic. The XM associate on the phone offered to send me a refurbished XM tuner with car kit for free. (This is a $70.00 purchase from Best Buy) The kit arrived today. I could install it myself, but I am taking it to a stereo dealer tomorrow because I want all the connections to be hidden inside the dash. They will do the work for $85.00.

The new XM tuner will mount to the center of the dash where the silly clipboard is and all the wires will disappear. The XM tuner unit communicates with the radio by way of the "accessory" jack to the right of the steering column near the USB port. The 1/8" mini jack cord that comes with the XM car kit will always be plugged into that accessory jack. I should work slick. If I want to plug in my iPhone, I still have the USB port for that.

That is my XM solution. This may be old news to some. But maybe others could follow a similar path to solve their XM problem.

This is my first post as a forum member. Love the van, but am absolutely NOT impressed with the lack of accessory options.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It would be great if you could post a picture of the finished install. :D
Let's face it, first year run and there are many bugs to work out. To bad but it is to be expected, it is what it is. I bought mine with my eyes wide open knowing that there would be issues with the first year run.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed my xm/siruis radio mount just below the cold/hot control knob on the dash. plugged it into cig. lighter and aux outlet then placed antenna as far as it would reach on the inside of the dash. Everything works great with no problem receiving a strong signal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Install went fine today. I didn't think to get a picture of how it looks. I will do that tomorrow when the sun is out. I had the tuner mounted on top of the clipboard in the center of the dash as I described earlier. The installer put the antenna at the back of the van, just above the backup camera and then ran the wire along the inside of the roof to the front, and down the driver's front window pillar. He said there was just enough wire to run the distance on my van. If I had the long wheel base, the wire would not have been long enough.

The tuner I mentioned earlier is kind of cheap looking. That is okay I suppose since I did not have to pay for it. The nicer tuners show album artwork in full color. The one I have is just blue text on a light blue background. I would have preferred a red screen to match the red of the dashboard lights. But what are you gonna do?

This XM radio tuner is considered "portable". What this means is, I can lift it out of its cradle and take it to another vehicle if I want. Or (if I buy a boom box to plug it into) I can take the tuner into my garage or house and listen to XM radio there. The boom box probably has a battery. I guess I could annoy people on the beach if I want to. That is one thing you cannot do with a dedicated XM/AM/FM radio installed into the dash from the factory. I would still have preferred a dedicated unit. But I am pleased with the portability. That is a nice trade-off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow that installer took his time at it.. would have been much easier to mount it top of the front of the vehicle. Wire can be run down the seal of the front window or you can always remove a cab light and run the wire through there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The reason why the installer chose to put my XM antenna at the rear center of the van was because he could put his tall ladder right up to the vehicle and work easily. He placed the magnetic antenna to the roof right above the backup camera housing and ran the wires into the van following the same path as the camera wire. To put the antenna on the front (center) required leaning way over the hood. It would have been a much shorter run, but harder to reach.

I haven't yet posted pictures of my install because all of my pictures are being upload upside down. Anybody have an idea why this is happening to me?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
18 Participants
Andrew Crane
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing