Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hitch installed. I need to wire it for flat 4 pin plug. I am just pulling a 17 foot boat and occasionally a tiny teardrop trailer that both have just normal tail lights, no trailer brakes and other gizmos. Do I really have to have that converter module? Never used one before on any of my other vehicles to pull light weight trailers. From what I read the module is to protect the van wiring harness from overload. Two trailer tail lights an overload??? Really? I never connect the trailer lights to my boat trailer as my boat shed is only about 100 yards from the ramp and I don't fish any other lakes. But I do connect when pulling my little teardrop trailer and again it only has two tail lights just like the boat trailer. Those harnesses with the modules are expensive and I don't see the need!

So what would it hurt to not use a converter module and just hook up the 4 wires of the plug to left and right turn, power and ground as the 4 plug directions say? Am I missing something?

Well yes, when I pulled out the rear tail light plugs from the van I found the wire colors a bit confusing. On the right turn signal side I did find a solid green wire to match solid green wire from the 4 pin plug that was labelled "right turn signal".

The solid yellow wire from the 4 pin plug is labeled "left turn signal". On the drivers side I didn't find a solid yellow wire to match it. I only found a yellow/green striped wire? Is that it?

The brown wire from the 4 pin plug is labeled "tail lights". I found no brown wire solid or striped to match with this wire on either the drivers or passenger side. I did see a solid black wire on both the right and left side van light plugs. Is this the "tail lights" wire. And do I need only to connect to one side?

And I assume that the white 4 pin plug wire labeled "ground" actually does bolt to the ground lug.....dudden it?

Lordy when you read instructions online you think, wow that'll be easy....NOT! I spent a lot of time looking for some wiring diagram that was readable to an electrically challenged amateur that would clear up the colors for me but found nothing that was helpful. So is yellow/green actually yellow....or is it green...and is black really brown? :| Argghhh! I have wired up three vehicles , a 67 Chevy, 98 Mazda pickup, 2000 Honda CRV and a 1998 C Class Motorhome in the past to pull small trailers and I don't recall it being even a bit confusing, pretty straight forward. Has technology gotten so advanced that you can't wire up a simple 4 wire trailer plug in your driveway without advanced wiring and tech knowledge.

Any help would be most appreciated. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The problem with that is the brake lights are a completely different circuit from the turn signals which are the yellow lights... so if you wire them up to the turn signals your trailer will have no brake lights

·
Registered
142 Posts
The problem with that is the brake lights are a completely different circuit from the turn signals which are the yellow lights... so if you wire them up to the turn signals your trailer will have no brake lights
Agree, the only time I needed the converter is when the circuits are separated. They need to be combined back for standard trail lights on the trailer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I guess there's no gettin' around getting a harness with the converter.

When I removed the rear interior cover to expose the tail light wiring on the drivers side I discovered what looked like an unused/empty connector attache to a brace with a red and a black wire running from it and looked like it was routed to front of the van. I suspect it is an OEM hot wire there for the upfit stuff. I checked it and was dead with key on and off. Was wondering if I could use this run of wire to power the converter module. I suppose there's somewhere up front close to the battery where that run of wire is left unconnected if not in use.

Is there anything that needs to be done to the van computer after installing the module, I mean does it need to recognize it or something?

Anyway thanks, I understand why I need to do this differently than I have in the past was just hoping to avoid installing a converter module harness thing and running a hot wire to power it.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
I believe that no matter what, a converter/adapter harness is required. The van's computer will get really upset if it senses too much current (like from extra light bulbs attached to the taillights).

The hitch module senses when to turn on the trailer lights without putting an extra load on the taillight circuit. Also, there was a recall on the tow electronics if you got the towing package with the van.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm slightly confused. I installed the Curt wiring harness two days ago. Was definitely more of a job than my subaru. I plugged into each taillight, ran the ground to the driver's taillight ground screw, and stuck the little black box to the wall inside the taillight area. Then ran the power wire from the black box to the battery at the front of the van. Is that black box the converter you're referring to?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. Is that black box the converter you're referring to?
Yes. I just ordered the same harness and will be installing it just as you did.

I didn't get the tow package with my van.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
It works fine too. I expect the power for your trailer lights is being drawn from that long wire and the “converter” is just sensing and switching circuits. Thus we comply with the CAN bus.

Reactions: Uncle George

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes. I just ordered the same harness and will be installing it just as you did.
Got my wiring harness kit in from ETrailer. Was easy install with those custom fit connectors instead of splicing into wires. Took maybe 45 minutes or so. I changed the wire splice connectors to shrink fit connectors and at the battery. Always use them on my boat and had them already. Easy to run the long black wire up to the van battery along and behind the upper braces as I haven't install a ceiling in yet. Hooked up a tester and all is well.

The harness I got from ETrailer was item #C56209 . The black wire is long enough to do a longer van, had about 4 feet too much for my short 118 wheel base.
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...ter+1500/2018/C56209.html?vehicleid=201825219

So now I have all my wiring in and can finish installing the thinsulate everywhere except where my MaxxAir fan goes. Have yet to cut that hole.:|

·
Registered
142 Posts
For all concerned, the ProMaster is using the European lighting system and will not work with the American lighting system. The American lighting system has the stop/turning signal using one wire. The European system has separate wires for stop and turning lights.

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I installed the Curt 56209 to my 2016 2500 and I am getting issues with "stop light" indicator and improper trailer light function. I'm sure I installed it correctly. Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts