Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, many thanks to the wealth of knowing on this forum. Certainly would not have taken on this project without the vast resources available at ProMaster Forum.

Background / Build Profile:
Mainly an adventure van for backpacking and mountain biking. More like my basecamp.
2019 1500 136wb, used (12,800 miles), bought late May and started the solo build, in the driveway of my condominium complex, June 1 and finished July 30. I do not recommend a summer build in Texas. 🥵 Completed everything with a skill and jig saw. Farmed out the upholstery and had the cooler / battery slide out custom built by a friend. Definitely felt over-my-head and overwhelmed at times, lots of highs and lows as I'm sure everyone can relate. Actually turned out better than I imagined. Helped to have the upholstery cover up all my rough carpentry work. Everything that is attached is over engineered. Planning a shakedown hike next week to Arkansas. Test drives on smooth roads show no rattles, but on a rural bumpy roads lots of rattles.

I'm skipping the in-build pics and going straight to the finished build. I used 3/4" polyiso, 3/4" ply, bedrug, thinsulate, furring strips w/ rivnuts, 1/8" birch ply, then turned it over to upholstery to do his magic. Have 260w of solar, 2 MaxxFans, and 140 amp hours of lithium battery, no sink, no shower.

Introducing Vanpe Diem, maybe Vanpe for short? Here are 10 pics.
IMG_8329 2.jpg 001IMG_1737.jpg 003IMG_1749.jpg 007IMG_1715.jpg 008IMG_1761.jpg 010IMG_1729.jpg 012IMG_1733.jpg 013IMG_1750.jpg 018IMG_1722.jpg 016IMG_1744.jpg

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,657 Posts
Fantastic! Love that table.

Tell/show us more about the unit that contains the fridge. Looks ingenious. I assume there are latches to keep the fridge from flying forward.

EDIT: The more I look at that fridge cabinet, the more concerned I get. That's a lot of weight up high for such a spartan framework.

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A carpentry friend built that for me. Constructed with dovetails, nailed staples, corner pieces, and of course glue. Drawers held in place with beefy lynch pins. Secured to 3/4" ply floor and 2x6" to wall with zero budge. Here are more pics.
IMG_8381.JPG IMG_8382 2.JPG IMG_8383.JPG IMG_8384.JPG IMG_8385.JPG IMG_8390.JPG

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looks really good. I'd be concerned about that fridge too as there doesn't seem to be enough to keep it from moving forward during an abrupt stop, such as an accident. A water bottle and/or some dishes (didn't say meat cleaver) is one thing but a flying fridge at that height is scary.

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What holds the fridge in the drawer?
Hmm, might need to address that, only the drawer is holding the fridge in the drawer, it's a snug fit. I'll take a look to see how to secure the fridge in transit aside from the drawer lynch pin. Likely strap it to the rear of the cabinet, which is secured to both floor and wall. Thanks for the scrutiny. I know it's coming from experience.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,657 Posts
What wall is it attached to? Side or rear (bed)? Preferably both.

Consider strapping that goes through the handles and underneath the drawer.

I don’t understand all the cutouts which severely weaken the 1/2” ply. It’s not like you have a weight issue.

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice mount for the ladder. Where'd you find that?
Quick Fist (tight fit) on the upper resting on 2x2" on lower w/ outdoor velcro. Has no budge, can even close the door by the ladder.

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What wall is it attached to? Side or rear (bed)? Preferably both.

Consider strapping that goes through the handles and underneath the drawer.

I don’t understand all the cutouts which severely weaken the 1/2” ply. It’s not like you have a weight issue.
Attached on side through 2x6", birch ply, and into 3/4" furring strip, along with 6 screws into 3/4" flooring. There is no wall behind the cabinet, it's open to the garage. If you shake the cabinet, it shakes the van w/ no budge. Built open for cooler vents and yes its likely too open.
Cooler fridge is now secured with wire cabling through handle and around rear of cabinet while in transit. Appreciate your comments and input.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Details of the upper shelf please.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The black plastic item attached to upper wall. Not seen something like this. Seems very simple.

Reactions: Vanpediem

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The black plastic item attached to upper wall. Not seen something like this. Seems very simple.
That's a $13 Husky storage bin from Home Depot slightly modified as open shelf storage (one for dry food in plastic containers, one for clothes / packaging cubes). Specs say they're rated for 100#. I like the idea of not having heavy cabinets and bulky cabinet doors. And it's easy to see what you have or what you need. The food one has 2 stretches of shock cord for each row plus drawer liner on bottom. Also custom cut some black foam board to smooth out the bottom (there are ridges) and raised the back row an inch with another layer of foam board. The clothes one has three stretches of shock cord to hold the packing cubes in place. Trimmed the top back lip so they would sit more flush and added small 3/4" wooden blocks near the lower back to square them up plus drilled through them into the wall / furring strips for added stability. Heading out for a shakedown trip to Arkansas so will know how everything rides soon enough.

Husky Storage Bin, Home Depot

·
Registered
375 Posts
Recon that's the lightest, cheapest, easiest overhead shelving i've seen.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,657 Posts
Well, he is a simple man with a simple van…. with an ingenious streak.

One of my favorite parts of this forum is seeing the neat things people think up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts