Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having problems opening side door? Took side door panel off; cable operated; are they adjustable? I have to give it 3-4 hard yanks to get it open.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 4 hrs from a promaster dealer... Hoping to just fix this myself. I was a dodge mechanic for 11 years...think I'll just take it apart and see...thanks for replies. Maybe I can shim cable.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I put a little tension on my cable by tying it back with a plastic tie strap and it works.... better.... a shorter cable would probably do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
At the bottom front ,take a close look at the little white plastic piece that the cable
goes through.
It has grooves in it. Put it to the next groove. (how do you spell groove?) Spaces in it.
Should be an easy fix hopefully:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you do end up taking apart your side door to try to fix it, please let us know how it goes. Seems like there are a few DIY fixes recommended, I'm just wondering which strategy is the best to go with.

Hopefully you can get it fixed and everything. best of luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the cable with the grooves in it at at bottom front of the door is just for the catch that keeps the door open when it is fully open. The cable that goes to the rear catch doesn't have those grooves. Haven't had time to take latch off- just the inside panel. Maybe later tonite...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cable has a bunch of slack in it at the latch. Only thing I can think to do is temporarily tie a knot in it.
Probably would make a weak point in it.
I'm gonna order a new cable.
Thinking latch has too much tension on it when door is closed causing too hard of a pull to open.
Adjusting latch might help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If all it took for you was some lube it sounds like you might have a different problem than what some other people are experiencing. Worth a try though.

Other people were talking about the wire, but that sounds more difficult to tinker with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brother and I both had same same problem. It felt like you were going to break the handle. Had to yank on it like 3 or 4 times to open. All I did was spray lube on both spots and works. It is worth a try, easier then taking it apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lube helped. WD40 made it worse (probably too much tension) but spray never seize helped.
What really helped a lot was moving the catch on the door pillar out. The center one. # 20 torx. Mark location on pillar with a pen before you start. It has small graduations on it so you can see how far you are moving it. Keep it the same up and down just move it out. Probably will help the peso ole who have to slam door to close as well.
Have a great wknd.
BTW I wiegh 7300 lbs every day and am getting 20 miles/imp gallon.
That part I love. Frt wheel drive with that much wieght sucks. That part I could do with out.
JMO

·
Registered
62 Posts
The lube did not work on my brothers door. He took to dealer and ordered a part. Told him to get two because mine only lasted a week or so and same thing hard to open. I went to keene dodge today and they replaced the sliding door latch. Works like new again hope it holds up. It only took them an hour to repair they work good with contractors, they know time is money.

·
Registered
62 Posts
photo-62.jpg

After months of aggravation I was able to finally get the slider to open on the first pull.

It was so simple I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. All it took was to adjust the strike latch out a couple of millimeters. #40 Torx.

Opens on first pull now.

And as far as closing the slider........Since I have the factory cargo separator I routinely leave the back door open to release the air pressure when I close it. Kind of a pain, but it works.

·
Registered
259 Posts
View attachment 1849

After months of aggravation I was able to finally get the slider to open on the first pull.

It was so simple I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. All it took was to adjust the strike latch out a couple of millimeters. #40 Torx.

Opens on first pull now.

And as far as closing the slider........Since I have the factory cargo separator I routinely leave the back door open to release the air pressure when I close it. Kind of a pain, but it works.

The other day my slider wouldn't open at all and I couldn't access it from inside because of all the stuff I had packed in the van (without unloading it.) I kept locking and unlocking it and finally I did get it open but that scared me. So I just went out to try OregonPlumber's suggestion: first I moved the latch all the way out, the farthest it would go. No good, now the door doesn't shut flush. So I moved it halfway in between, now it shuts flush and the door does open every time so far (tried it about 10 times) - we'll see if this is a permanent solution. Thanks for the suggestion OregonPlumber!

I have been shutting my slider by first opening the front door then shutting it - no problem. But if I am camping and shut it from the inside I need to open the back door (can't get at the front door due to partition) - a pain, especially if stuff is in the way - but it works.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sometimes I wonder why there is no option for a side barn-door instead of the sliding one. Last week I was talking about it with a friend, about the lower maintenance required and other advantages from non-sliding doors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 4 hrs from a promaster dealer... Hoping to just fix this myself. I was a dodge mechanic for 11 years...think I'll just take it apart and see...thanks for replies. Maybe I can shim cable.
That is exactly how i fixed mine i got a little aduster bolts form a bike shop.
Now it works like a charm at the very begining of the handle travel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts