Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has happened to others. I'm not confident the dealer monkey's will really be able to sort through the problem. Is this an easy fix I can do myself? Has anyone fixed this themselves? My side door will not open from the outside or inside.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,823 Posts
You do know that it must be unlocked separately from the front doors? That is--front doors can be unlocked and cargo doors still locked?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - It's been working fine for the first 500 miles. Then suddenly today I hit the button and you can hear something inside the door locking and unlocking, but when you pull the outside or inside levers it feels like nothing is connected...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had this happen with my passenger door, It is operated with a cable & the screw that tightens on the cable to operate the latch mechanism was loose...easy fix if your dealer is not local.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Powderman. Is removing the main lower panel required or can it be solved by just removing the internal latch cover?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fuzzy

I have had nothing but problems with the side door. I can barely open it now....it takes several pulls. I've had it over a year now and I open that door several times a day. Brought it to the dealer and they supposedly made an adjustment, but its just gotten worse. I don't trust the dealer to fix this so I'll be interested in any kind of fix you or others can recommend.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Side Door Not Opening

Has anyone been able to get their sliding door to open without having to pull on the handle several times?

I had this problem soon after I purchased the van over a year ago and now it is getting worse.

Brought it to the dealer - they did not fix it - I do not want to bring it back for an entire day. I would like to fix it myself.

Anybody??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Oregon Plumer

Yes I have the same problem with my driver side (I have dual doors) slider. The dealer said its the actuator. I'm brining it in tomorrow for the warranty work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Some times the door can get stuck partially closed with only the bottom rear catch not engaged. This can happen if you close the door without opening a door or window to vent air pressure.

There are vents behind each wheel well to vent the air pressure when closing the door. Depending on how good all your doors seal are, closing the sliders can be painful.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Oregon Plumer and fuzzy,

Yes I have the same problem with my driver side (I have dual doors) slider. The dealer said its the actuator. I'm bringing it in tomorrow for the warranty work. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh and of course it was a two week wait for the part.

Some times the door can get stuck partially closed with only the bottom rear catch not engaged. This can happen if you close the door without opening a door or window to vent air pressure.

There are vents behind each wheel well to vent the air pressure when closing the door. Depending on how good all your doors seal are, closing the sliders can be painful and sometime get stuck not closed, not open and you can't open it again.

The dealer assures me that its a defective actuator and seems confident that they will fix it, we shall see.

Cheers

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,823 Posts
I have never had difficulty opening the slider first try. I often have the closing problem Dave describes. If the van is pointed uphill, it can be more difficult.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine totally stopped working. Inside handle, outside handle nothing. You can hear something clicking when you lock/unlock but nothing happens when you use with inside or outside door handle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi All

Thanks for your responses. I found out that my door opens with no problem when using the inside handle. The exterior handle works only after several hard pulls. Talked to Chrysler people and I have to take it to the dealer for the fix. I will keep you posted.

Could be an electrical issue with the magnetic latch.....could be a cable problem....I would love to meet the engineers that designed this thing.....truly a work of art.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pie on my face - it was total user error. Very silly mistake. Door works fine for me now...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Building a partition wall and put a sheet metal screw from the inside of the pillar into the side of the door...locking it shut. I suspect no one will repeat this sillyness. Fortunately it is in a hidden spot so no damage other than my ego. What an idiot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Building a partition wall and put a sheet metal screw from the inside of the pillar into the side of the door...locking it shut. I suspect no one will repeat this sillyness. Fortunately it is in a hidden spot so no damage other than my ego. What an idiot.
Hey doo-doo happens... It's all good if you figure out what you did and correct it.

Can't imagine the look you'd get at the dealership if they had to find the problem for you... :eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is another culprit to look out for when a sliding door like these gets stuck, and that is an object that is stuck in the track. In my case I had a bolt jammed in there. The momentum of the large door sliding still allowed the door to shut but it did so with great pressure on the mechanism and was a real pain the the butt to open.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts