Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this trim is called, could make something but was wondering if there is a after market or factory trim piece i could just buy and put in there.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
There is a foam block that covers the air bag, I don't know the part number for that, some have used plywood to trim across the top, from air bag to the other air bag.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I didn't realize that those foam blocks covered the airbag, nor that it was that close to the edge. Does removing the foam blocks have any impact on the deployment of the airbags, e.g. helping to direct the bag outwards instead of through the hole to the back?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
no, air bags are designed to deploy where they want them, not ricochet off things and hopefully end up in the right spot.

I believe this type of air bag unrolls in a collision and blows out the trim panel beneath it, in this case the trim above the door and the trim on the A-pillar.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My understanding is that that's not entirely true, for example, the windshield is the "back plane" for the front airbags that helps prevent them from moving when your face hits them.

Airbag Deployment
When an airbag deploys, particularly a passenger side airbag, it strikes the windshield in many models. If a windshield is cracked, it may not be strong enough to withstand the sudden impact of the airbag from inside the vehicle. If the windshield fails, the airbag may not deploy properly, and the passenger could sustain unnecessary injuries.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
IMO this is one of those topics where an individual will have to look at the information available and draw their own conclusion.

If the door window is up or down will that affect the side curtain air bag? If it did you wouldn't be allowed to open the windows.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Which is why I was asking the question -- I've seen people remove that foam and use the cubby for storage, so it would be nice to KNOW to make a more informed decision.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
I hope people aren't storing stuff in the air bag cubby holes that's not good. I think I saw one an image of someone doing that.

Some people believe that the foam does direct the air bag and they won't mess with them and that's ok.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I agree that you have to be a moron to use an airbag compartment for storage.
Also, those foam blocks aren't secured very well. The force of an airbag would blow that off like nothing if it deployed against it.
The engineers wouldn't chance it to styrofoam and plastic pins. Those bags deploy/unroll straight down and have a specific shape. They have to deploy in milliseconds. They wouldn't design it to fill the cavity and bounce off sides/backs or anything before finding their way down to where they need to be.
I'm not sure what their actual purpose is. Perhaps a cheap way to cover an odd shaped hole while also providing protection from bumping your head? They're certainly not structural or part of the airbag operation, whatever they are.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I had one half rip off with a light tug and others have reported them simply falling off on their own while driving.
So, if it's essential for airbag deployment,....good luck in a crash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also trying to finish this part of my van (your photo looks exactly like my van, it had a partition and i removed it and threw out those foam pieces like an idiot)

Anyways- I am still having trouble formulating a plan to solve this issue. Can someone get specific on what they did? I also couldnt quite figure out what parts i need on the linked part supplier.

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
I am also trying to finish this part of my van (your photo looks exactly like my van, it had a partition and i removed it and threw out those foam pieces like an idiot)

Anyways- I am still having trouble formulating a plan to solve this issue. Can someone get specific on what they did? I also couldnt quite figure out what parts i need on the linked part supplier.

thanks in advance :)
You won't get far if you don't do an intro post :)
Promasterforum.com Introduction Section

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’m in the same boat: partition removed & need trim. There are a bunch of parts on that supplier’s website that could be the trim pieces we need. How to pick the right one? Anyone order these with success and have the specific parts numbers?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts