Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #61
Rain Guards

So I have a odd little whistle on the drivers side, somewhere around the mirror.. maybe? Its very subtle but a bit annoying. With the fan in the roof, I figured it would be nice to be able to vent the front windows a bit without letting rain/snow in.. So I order the MOPAR window guards or whatever they are called.

Went on ok.. I couldnt seem to position them such that they didnt hit the mirror mount.. but it doesnt seem to be a problem. Install was easy, just follow the instructions provided.

After a road test today.. the annoying whistle is still there.. however, they do not add wind noise to the van from what I can tell.

Personally, I like the way these look on the van, and its nice to leave the windows cracked in the driveway and the fan running. With the freshly painted and stained panels in there.. the smell is a bit overwhelming. These sunny days with the air flow is certainly helping that.

NEXT STEP! THE BED!

Went to Home Depot this afternoon and picked up a miter saw and a good bit of 2x2's.
Hopefully we start that bit tomorrow?

Registered
You have done lots & it looks good 馃憤

I read your post on the Banff ski trip & experienced those highways in the snow as well. Easier in the summertime, but that #1 Highway gets closed down a lot due to,accidents. The other choice into Alberta is the #5 which goes to Jasper. We have done two trips to Alberta last year - picked the #1 & it was shut down so back tracked for #5. Then the last time took the #5 & it was shut down, so we took the #1. Both times lost 2 or 3 hrs. Still better than the 5 or 6 hrs wait for them to clear the highway.

If you stop near Hope again, just west of Hope is a good rest area Hunter Creek Rest Area.

Glad to see you have been out on some trips & experienced your van. Makes a huge difference for design & intended use decisions.

Registered
2019 1500 136" LR - "Van o' White"
-Return van to dealer about fueling issues. Can not get the fuel tank to fill up! I have to barely engage the pump to get any gas in the van. So frustrating. Seems this is a common issue.
Did you find out what the gas problem was all about? We're thinking about buying 2018 136" LR and curious if it's a problem across all the 2018s.

Super Moderator
Did you find out what the gas problem was all about? We're thinking about buying 2018 136" LR and curious if it's a problem across all the 2018s.
This was a common problem with the very early Promasters. They redesigned the fuel fill pipe back around 鈥15 or 鈥16 I think and it is not a problem anymore,

Premium Member
This was a common problem with the very early Promasters. They redesigned the fuel fill pipe back around 鈥15 or 鈥16 I think and it is not a problem anymore,
Sadly, I've encountered the gas fillup problem on my 2018. Not always, but enough to be annoying. I now make it a habit to open the driver's door and peer at the gas gauge (with the ignition key set to ON or ACC, I can remember) to see if the tank is indeed full when the nozzle clicks off. I'm considering getting it repaired under warranty but it's tricky to do and worse now with my van off the road.

Super Moderator
It should be a warranty problem. I discovered it was the station pumps as often as not however. with my 鈥14. Some just pump too fast. Never happens with my 鈥20 tho!

Registered
Sadly, I've encountered the gas fillup problem on my 2018. Not always, but enough to be annoying. I now make it a habit to open the driver's door and peer at the gas gauge (with the ignition key set to ON or ACC, I can remember) to see if the tank is indeed full when the nozzle clicks off. I'm considering getting it repaired under warranty but it's tricky to do and worse now with my van off the road.
We'll be on the alert, then, since the 2018 we're considering will be under full warranty for about two more years. Thanks!

Premium Member
We'll be on the alert, then, since the 2018 we're considering will be under full warranty for about two more years. Thanks!
It's a minor irritant that shouldn't dissuade you from buying the PM. It has great qualities that outshine this issue.

I just wanted to mention that even 2018s run into it occasionally (at least mine). The annoyance is that the nozzle clicks off. With most cars, this is a reliable indicator that the gas tank is full. In the PM, it may only be 3/4 full. So then you have to fill it at a slower speed to get it to full. But the thing is, when it clicks off again, is it then full??? That is the annoyance.

I suspect if the PM is your regular vehicle and you frequent the same gas station, you'll know what to do.

My usage is for travel and so I'm going to be all over N. America using different stations and I can't pin it down to anything specific that's going wrong.

Just anecdotally, I notice this problem a bit more with US gas stations. They have the big snout over the nozzle to recover gas fumes. We don't have those in Canada.

Maybe the rate at which the gas goes in is a factor. Maybe some stations gush it in faster than a PM can receive it.

I've parked the PM since last fall with no plans for travel in the near future and so I can't troubleshoot further.

Super Moderator
Yes, you鈥檙e correct. My 鈥14 does this all the time. It rarely does it on older slow pumps with small nozzles and the speed of the pump is very important, the slower the better. I must say my 鈥20 has never done it, when it shuts off on its own it鈥檚 full.
I do remember a fix for it tho. A larger fill pipe or maybe a batch of them were defective and Ram replaced them.

Registered
Thanks for the info. We did put a deposit down on the '18, but need to wait until September 2 for them to fulfill the recall - the transmission shifter cable needs to be replaced. Supposedly, there supply is low so Chrysler is doling out the cables one a week to each dealership! We're getting antsy, and are looking at 2019s (new) to see whether we could get a deal there and get the van sooner rather than later. If we end up getting a 2019, we'll be on the lookout for the gas shutoff problem.

Registered
Thanks for the info. We did put a deposit down on the '18, but need to wait until September 2 for them to fulfill the recall - the transmission shifter cable needs to be replaced. Supposedly, there supply is low so Chrysler is doling out the cables one a week to each dealership! We're getting antsy, and are looking at 2019s (new) to see whether we could get a deal there and get the van sooner rather than later. If we end up getting a 2019, we'll be on the lookout for the gas shutoff problem.
The part restriction is loosened and more parts are available in the network. If you'd like some help with your dealer feel free to PM us.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Registered
The part restriction is loosened and more parts are available in the network. If you'd like some help with your dealer feel free to PM us.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thanks, Kaitlin, but I think we'll look at new 2019s. We're not in any rush unless the right van materializes. ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter #75

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Sweet! Thanks for posting in this thread. It is for sure a gas pump pressure/venting issue. I have found some pumps I simply can not use. (ones with alot of pressure and full covers on the nozzle) If I use an old school pump with no coverings... I can run it to the max, unattended.
I need to get mine in under warranty, along with the shifter cable.. but we are using the van quite alot these days.. a slow down may be coming though. Shall see.

Registered
Discussion Starter #76
So the 1/4" ceiling panels are attached to the van ribs via self tappers and no added furring strips aside from the ones you added towards the front and rear?
That is correct. I had a bit of noise from doing that. So I went back and put some thin foam along all the wood surfaces that contacted the metal. I also trimmed back the panels a bit to give more clearance on the sides. This fixed my noise issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Bed Frame

Well, it's been a minute since I posted.. but that doesn't mean the work hasn't been progressing. We have been one a few local trips with over nights in the woods, some regional hikes, bike rides, and now back to my nagging herniated disk/sciatic nerve injury is flaring up. So progress has been slow to say the least. But slow progress is still progress.

A while back we started the bed frame.. and what a project this has turned into. (I am still working on it) The plan for our bed is to have it work as two benches and a table when not in sleep mode. Then drop the table down to complete the bed. The "benches" must have access from the top, and after some more thinking I decided to add some doors to the sides so we can access the inside with out lifting the bed or making the passengers get up. (In the event I wanted to get to things like tire chains, first aid kit, folding chairs, etc)

To start, we made a basic frame that we anchored to the chassis and the walls. The thought was to set the position of those frames first, then attach the box frames to that. I figured it would be easier to adjust the position of these smaller parts, than the full size boxes. Using a lazer level and some masking tape, I was able to find the CL of the van and make some marks for the forward and rear position. This helped me "center" the frames.

Overall, it worked pretty well. However, as well all know there nothing square about a van so the typical issues came about here, and still come about. Some of this is due to the van shape and alot has to do with my average woodworking abilities. I blame the van more than my abilities.. LOL

Armed with a pocket hole jig and a stock pile of 2x2's, I manged to make two bases that are "mostly square" and could hold more weight that I should likely put in the van. #overengineered. Yes, I modeled the benches in Solidworks before I made them. I couldn't keep track of all the pieces need for these things.

Both boxes in place. Again. Mostly square. The driverside box will have access from the top and from the back. (The front wall of this box will be shared with the battery box) The passenger side box will have access from the top as well as the front and back. AKA a pass through. This is where will store things like the folding chairs, tables, etc.. that we might want access to from either end of the van? At least that's our thinking.

Once the boxes were in, we started "skinning" them.. which is when I finally got to put some new speakers in the back! Woot woot! (I ran the wires for these a few months back when I did the wiring for the GoalZero, etc.) I purchased a pair of 6.5" Rockford Fosgates. They do the trick. Nothing fancy, but it takes some of the load off the door speakers so I can get a bit better sound quality out of them with more volume overall inside the van. Ill replace the factory speakers at some point.

To help the speakers out a bit and protect them from objects inside the benches, I went ahead and made some small boxes to cover the back of the speakers. The sound quality got a bit better after doing this and putting some carpet on the back side of these "boxes" helped even more so.

Back doors installed. At first I went with some nice interior hinges that had bushing in them all were super sleek, but then I realized just how much of a pain in the rear it is to put that type of hinge in, especially in a tight space with "square" doors and openings. Yea those got returned and piano hinges went in. Behind the doors I did install some magnetic latches.Those seem to be holding well.

(Plywood and air mattress sitting on top. On memorial day weekend, we finally got to sleep in the van, with out being on the floor. That was nice.)

Registered
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Window Tint

So I am going to preface this post with, I am aware of the local and regional laws in my area. I am also aware of the challenges window tint causes when driving at night. I will also state that I am running rather dark tint on my daily driver and that the cons do not outweigh the pros. Now that my disclaimer is over with.. here is what I did. LOL

When we purchased the van last fall, our first trip with it was down to Bend, Oregon. During our drive down I was shocked at how hot I got behind the wheel while driving through the desert in the fall. I felt like a ant behind a magnifying class. With winter on the horizon, I wasn't too concerned to fix this issue.. but I knew it would need to be addressed come summer.

Summer is here! Time to tint. Turns out, there is a window tint and LineX shop right behind my office. Perfect! I took the van to work one morning and drove it home with fresh tint the same afternoon.

I ended up going with 25% on the sides, and 55% on the front. Ideally, something a bit lighter or clear would have been better for the front.. but they didn't offer that and I was getting a very nice deal on the whole thing.. so why not give it a go? So far, I have no complaints with the window tint. The couple of trips we have done so far have been far more enjoyable with the sun beating down on us. We shall see how winter goes... I may change my mind later.

(Had to go back to the summer/stock tires. Van looks like it skipped leg day again... Hopefully remedy that issue next summer)

Registered
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
LIGHTS

A little back story. Before we moved out west, my father and I use to ride motorcycles all over the east coast and midwest. To aid in this, we mounted/wired multiple GPS devises, heated gear plug-ins/controllers, CB radios, and auxiliary headlights. Present day; my wife and I live out in the PNW and my Dad is in NC. He hasn't been out this way yet and now that he is between jobs, he took the time to road trip across the country and spend a week out here. This sounded like a perfect time to do what we used to do on the bikes... to the van. Time for lights!

I have been hunting a good set of LED lights/light bar for a bit now and ended up decided to get something from BlackOak LED. The information they provided on their website was super helpful, and when I had questions, I received a phone call from someone at the company and we chatted about the lights and my potential install location. In addition, I forgot to order the connecting wire for the two lights I purchased. (This was just a few days until my father showed up) So I called them, told them what I was doing and that I made a mistake in my order. They rush shipped the cable to me for at no additional charge.

The lights arrived and WOA! These things are stout! Really well built. The wiring and the hardware included is of the same quality. Yes these lights cost a bit more than your typical rough country or amazon specials..but the quality is several steps above those.

My initial plan was to try and mount these in the rectangular slots across from the license plate. It would require a bit of hacking, but it was doable. In the end, we decided to just mount them up high on the racks. This posed its own set of challenges. AKA how to get the wire through the roof.

Solution: Go through the rear camera mount! It requires a bit of extra wire, which leads to some power loss.. but it doesnt seem to effect them.

For power, I hooked the power lead into AUX 1 port via the upfitters connection. This allows the lights to turn on without turning on the engine. Which is helpful when you need quick light with out the disturbance of turning on the engine. The switch is pretty protected so I am not too worried about accidentally bumping it and not knowing it.

These lights are legit.

The mounts are aluminum and un-coated. They also had the lights sitting up a bit higher than I wanted. So I drilled a second set of holes a bit lower to get the lights to sit flush to the cross bar as you see here. A touch of paint and good to go.

To secure/seal the wire through the camera mount.. I drilled a small hole and then filled it to a slot that allowed the wire plus a grommet to fit. Personally, I am not thrilled about the wire covering. Ill clean that up later.. but for now it works.
I ran the wire up to the rear cross bar the of the rack, and then along the inside channel to the front of the van. Then loomed up the wires at the lights and called it a day.

After getting the lights installed we realized the irony of our install date. We successfully mounted aux lights, on the longest day of the year, in the PNW. So.. it may come as no surprise that I honestly havent been able to see just how bright these lights are. However, in broad day light, you can look at the front of the van.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts