Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a local dealership trying to get rid of the 14' diesels on the lot. Looking at a high roof 136'' pretty much loaded with a sticker of $38,900 for 29,999.

I think its a pretty good price for diesel, but the reviews of the diesel are SO mixed right now. I am wondering if most the problems have been of course on the 14' models. So is it worth getting the diesel and perhaps more problems?

I need this van for work, and I need it to start and drive. Do you think gas is more reliable at this point that gas? I have heard of multiple people getting new PM diesels because they cant figure out what is wrong with theirs... Kinda scary...

I have a gas that is doing great that I am getting ready to sell to build out another. Just wondering if diesel should be a good option.

Thanks

Stephen

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I believe there was one replaced but several others that put their owners through enough to warrant it. Many more (most) have been trouble free but there is that chance. FCA seems to have found a way to "fix" most of the troublesome ones too. The fixes seem to be software upgrades, ground wire service, and in a few cases sensor wire reversals and maybe others I cannot recall. Since replacement of components rarely fixed the problems and FCA is now having dealers reprogram, and check other things I conclude there is nothing wrong with the components in those vans and the newer vans are not misbehaving due to adjustments in the manufacturing process. What this means for you? Hard to tell. The savings on one of those vans is substantial. You would save $5K over the best price you might get on a 2015. Is $5K enough to miss a few days while they get the "fix" from FCA and get you back on the road? No one should wait weeks like earlier and the dealers should go right to FCA not try to diagnoise it themselves. IF yours bothers which it may not. Only you can know. Best luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 3.6L Pentastar® VVT V6 Engine have only 260LB-FT Torque.
The Transmission to this engine is the Chrysler 62TE six-speed automatic transmission (www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/62TE.html) with a Torque-Converter.

The 3.0L EcoDiesel I4 engine is the strongest engine for the Ram Promaster and have 295 LB-FT Torque.
The Transmission to this engine is a six-speed automated manual transmission:

• The driver can shift manually without use of a clutch or the transmission can shift without driver input
  • Offers the efficiency of a manual with the functionality and convenience of an automatic transmission
  • Sequential and non-sequential shifting
  • Towing and hauling capability package comes standard
In Europe there is for the Ram Promaster only diesel-engines.
Diesel-engines are stronger than gasoline-engines,
need less fuel and the diesel-fuel is also cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I may not be able to help with choice, but I also bought a 2014 diesel that the dealer was trying to move. I have had 3 Fords, the last one a 2003 E250 that I put 225,00 miles on. I have had mine for a little over 2 weeks and love it more every time I drive it. The automatic shifting feels different, but I am getting used to it. I work out of my van and this one is the best feel I have ever had, lots of room and I can stand up in the back at 6' 3". I have been averaging 24 MPG and I can not complain with that. Good luck, but I am very happy with my diesel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would take the chance, but I am known to take more chances than others. I took my chances back in 2005 on the Sprinter when the majority bought E series and Chevys. 702k later and I don't regret it a bit. Go for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a gas that is doing great that I am getting ready to sell to build out another. Just wondering if diesel should be a good option.

IMO unless you are regularly hauling 1000's of pounds of cargo, towing a large trailer or driving 30,000+ miles per year the diesel option is just not worth it. Just on this site alone there are a dozen or more diesel owners that have posted about significant issues with the diesel. Many of which left their vans unusable. If they're having problems with only a few thousand miles imagine the costs and issues that might arise a few years down the road when they warranty might not cover the costs. The fuel savings for most drivers are just about a wash when you add the higher price of diesel fuel, DEF and higher initial purchase price.

On the gas side I've only read about one serious problem and that was a blown motor at 109k miles. The 3.6 has sufficient power for the vast majority of users and for the most part the power train appears to be problem free. I have seen some complaints about the shifting between 5th and 6th gear, but that's about it for issues.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The 3.6L Pentastar® VVT V6 Engine have only 260LB-FT Torque.
The Transmission to this engine is the Chrysler 62TE six-speed automatic transmission (www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/62TE.html) with a Torque-Converter.

The 3.0L EcoDiesel I4 engine is the strongest engine for the Ram Promaster and have 295 LB-FT Torque.
The Transmission to this engine is a six-speed automated manual transmission:

• The driver can shift manually without use of a clutch or the transmission can shift without driver input
  • Offers the efficiency of a manual with the functionality and convenience of an automatic transmission
  • Sequential and non-sequential shifting
  • Towing and hauling capability package comes standard
In Europe there is for the Ram Promaster only diesel-engines.
Diesel-engines are stronger than gasoline-engines,
need less fuel and the diesel-fuel is also cheaper.
Just wanted to point out that diesel is not cheaper in the U.S.. It's actually more expensive than premium gasoline.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just wanted to point out that diesel is not cheaper in the U.S.. It's actually more expensive than premium gasoline.
Depending where you look. I almost never buy diesel at a truck stop. Regular gas stations have diesel about 20 cents cheaper than truckstops.

Also, there are some places that diesel is cheaper than gas. As a side note, this winter with the high diesel/low gas prices I haven't bough diesel that was more than 30 cents higher than gasoline, and all the way down to 3 cents cheaper than gas. How could I do that while traveling through 3/4 of the states (about 30k miles this year)? I have a range of 600+ miles to a tank of fuel so I can skip states with high fuel prices like PA and NY. I can fuel in OH or VA, fly over PA and fuel again in NJ. Try that with a gasser. Gas Buddy app is very helpful to find cheap fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The fuel savings for most drivers are just about a wash when you add the higher price of diesel fuel, DEF and higher initial purchase price.
You are definitely missing the point. . .. .they are selling the 2014 diesels for the same price as a gasser, so there is no higher initial purchase price. Then the diesel gets about 40-50% better mpg in town and about 40% better mpg on the highway which easily overcomes the 30 to 50 cents a gallon that diesel costs versus gas so you are making money every mile you drive versus a gasser.

Good luck trying to get anything when selling a gasser that has 100,000 miles on it, but a diesel with that many miles still has value.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I, personally, have not seen diesel cheaper than gas since the 80's. Here in Colorado it is usually 30-50 cents higher than regular gas. I did several trips to Florida last year and not once did I see diesel less than gas although I did see them much closer in price, it was still at least the same price as premium.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Diesel bargain

I have noticed that here in the Seattle area diesel has been a few cents cheaper than regular at many stations.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here in Southern California Diesel is .80 cents less then Regular and about $1.00 less then Premium! I know our gas prices are high here but Diesel is cheaper at least right now it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey all,

I have a local dealership trying to get rid of the 14' diesels on the lot. Looking at a high roof 136'' pretty much loaded with a sticker of $38,900 for 29,999.

I think its a pretty good price for diesel, but the reviews of the diesel are SO mixed right now. I am wondering if most the problems have been of course on the 14' models. So is it worth getting the diesel and perhaps more problems?

I need this van for work, and I need it to start and drive. Do you think gas is more reliable at this point that gas? I have heard of multiple people getting new PM diesels because they cant figure out what is wrong with theirs... Kinda scary...

Thanks

Stephen
Not sure what state you are in but there is a dealership here in Southern California that has three 2014 white 2500 High Top 136wb Diesels on the lot with MSRP $38,600 for $27,000 plus tax/lic. I may pick one of these up just to hold me over until the facelift comes out as then I will be getting Silver 3500 Ext!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would take the chance, but I am known to take more chances than others. I took my chances back in 2005 on the Sprinter when the majority bought E series and Chevys. 702k later and I don't regret it a bit. Go for it.
I too bought a 2005 Sprinter new. It was the best service truck I've ever had, never had one last 10 years before. Usually they're toast in 5 to 7. Unfortunately my Sprinter was rear ended at 491,000 km and it wasn't feasible to save her. I'm now ooking for a replacement van but have lots of time to figure it out as I've got a back. Probably will go with a Promaster instead of a new Sprinter as the local Dodge Dealers give me more work and support over those snobs at Benz. Lol

Just doing some research before I pull the trigger. Hope these are good dependable vans.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 promaster 3500 eco diesel. I traded in a 2014 journey on it was ended up at 44364 out the door with hitch wiring and brake control. Out the door price was 44365. It is the tall roof with 159 wheel base.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a 2004 Spring 118 Passenger Van, it worked well, no real complaints, terrible traction in the ice but that's to be expected in RWD unweighted. The early Sprinters were no frills, very basic, no particularly well built, easy to damage in a crash, rust issues, and the engine had some potential issues (balancer). I averaged 20/25 mpg.

Fast forward ten years, now we have choice! Ford, Nissan, Mercedes, and Fiat.

I drove them all, many times, in all sorts of configurations.

The Ford is the most refined from a passenger outfitting standpoint, but for cargo use or DIY RVers, it's not that important. The Ford is expensive, the gas motor is powerful, the diesel motor is milk toast.

The Nissan gets terrible gas mileage and is very hard on the eyes.

The Mercedes is also expensive and honestly it's become a bit bloated and the sizing options have become limited. I'm not a fan of he Mercedes V6 diesel, it gets poor gas milage, and the power is just okay.

The Ram Promaster, now that's a van! FWD for traction, compact powerful diesel, designed for the DIY upfitter, body panels designed for ease of replacement in accidents (we all crash), priced lower than competition, lots of little featires that make you wonder why more automakers don't do the same (interior lights time out). The gas engine, though less efficient than the TDI, it has good power, runs smooth, and it's a whole lot less pricey than TDI.

I have over 1k on my 2015 Ram Promaster 118. I have driven it back and forth across the Cascades, speeds up to 75mp, mostly unloaded other than mtb's on the rack, it has averaged 20+mpg in town, better mpg on the highway, it shifts great in manual, it has power to spare, and it handles marvelously.

Promaster is the van to get.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Stephen I have given my pros/cons for diesels in the past some of you may recall them in detail but to the point: Is it comparable as far as options go when compared to your present PM? If so, I would purchase sounds like a great deal resale better down the road as well. I am in the same boat you are in thinking of purchasing diesel PM 136/high that they are deeply discounted right now. The transmission is quirky, but like anything the more you use the more you get accustom to the quirkiness. Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
BavarianBoy has it right! Also talk to someone that did all the research and test drove all of them and still ended up with a Diesel that after 100 miles the turbo went out! Read (My Story My Build).

Even after not having a vehicle for 30 days plus, I still recommend the PM, and would buy another one!!! I look forward to driving this Van every day.

Just for information, my van is a 118" diesel with a build date November 2014.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Another thought keep in mind it's early on with the PM's gas or diesel time will tell if either/or will stand the test of time. I remember when Sprinters were considered the bad ass/ never break down/ best van out there. How did that work out? Just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts