Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the more research I do the more unsure I become. Here's the deal we are currently at Phase 1 under 12v power but are about to make the move to Phase 1.5 and expand the system. Prior to slapping a couple panels on the lid I am wanting to add an inverter and shore power. With winter on the way I want to take greater advantage of our favorite mountain resort with plug ins and an indoor pool. In general we don't have a lot of AC need and other than our winter weekend getaway we rarely camp near 110. But after 1 season with just light and heat we are look forward to making the mornings brew, keeping the coldies cold (Norcold 751) and maybe making some warm slop for the childrens. Here's my dilemma? Do I divide and conquer with separate units, inverter and charger, or spend a few extra bucks and buy an inverter/charger? It seems everyone has a different way to skin the same cat. What am I missing? Your thoughts and witty barbs appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Something fails you either replace it or a unit that does double duty. It’s all about the money! Get one "do-all" device or two stand alones. Are you a gambler? Do you have money to burn? This is a choice that only you and your wallet can make, otherwise it really makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Does the combo really do what you want? Components were the Audio way to go once as you got what you wanted not what the maker decided you wanted! I’m a separate components guy. KOV sums it up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks KOV and RD. I have been hedging the independent component direction but I guess I was just needed a kick in the right direction.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We don't understand why anyone would go separate when combos are available. Combos offer smaller overall size, hugely simplified wiring (which means a neater installation), and the automatic switching functionality that combos always include. You can go 21st century or stick with the dinosaurs . . . :~)

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,001 Posts
Hi
Certainly can go either way and get the same functionality.

We did the combined inverter/charger and are happy with it. Simplifies the wiring some and more compact.

The inverter/charger units do an automatic switch over of the ground to neutral bonding point from inside the van when you are on inverter to back at the charger pedestal when you are on shore power. If you do separate components its up to you to get the ground to neutral bond point transfer right, and its important from a safety point of view to get it right.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Just remember some Dinosaurs did survive. Those with integrated and specially adapted DNA are gone. Just say’n.
The integrated will be fine of course and if none of the components in them fail so good. I have used inverters a long time and they seem to have < “lifetime” life. Other’s results may differ.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
How did you guess my real name!

·
Registered
538 Posts
My son has told me for twenty years that I leave fossilized foot prints everywhere I walk. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
It’s those stone wheels you have on the van - they give you away every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts