Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd seen some photos and info of a slick-looking install of a shore power receptacle via the rubber circle just below the fuel tank fill receptacle in a non-diesel Promaster. Has anyone done this? Anyone have a link to the installation that was done?

It went through here(the X):

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought I'd seen some photos and info of a slick-looking install of a shore power receptacle via the rubber circle just below the fuel tank fill receptacle in a non-diesel Promaster. Has anyone done this? Anyone have a link to the installation that was done?

It went through here(the X):

Thanks!
I was just thinking of doing the same thing. I was a little worried about sparks near the gas cap, but it probably isn't an issue?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmmmm, gas and sparks... what could go wrong???

Reactions: jessep

·
Registered
79 Posts
This seems like a terrible idea. If there's any load the plug can and will spark (arc technically).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there room on the inside for 3-5 foot of excess feed wire to coil inside/under the van body? Then just pull through the slit rubber plug to get the connecting receptacle a decent distance from the gasoline cap. Close the fuel door over the feed wire and plug into shore power. Find a rubber cap, empty female receptacle, or something to put over the male plug when not in use. Pull out a foot of electrical feed cord when refueling.

·
Registered
842 Posts
There's another mention of this install elsewhere on the forum . And many positive replies regarding sparks, vapor and confined space. My reasoning on my install went like this :
PROS : I won't be driving away plugged in as I would have to step over the cord. No punching holes in the van. In my case this is a good entry area to the interior for AC (panel location). With a few adjustments I should be able to close the door all plugged in.
CONS: Fuel vapors present with cap off , and a spark when unplugged and a load . Would make a good FAIL video ( if no injuries ). A place for water intrusion into the inner sheetmetal if seals are not maintained.
Owner would have to have a FOOLPROOF unplugging routine in place , turn off all loads, gas cap tight, good ventilation, etc.
As for the fumes, the dash will lite up if the cap is loose. Part of the emission system. All vapors are routed to the charcoal cannister and recycled back to the engine when running.
I used a firewall grommet all siliconed up to enter the interior to keep water out. The only hole cut (so far).
Proceed at your own risk.
And I also like other member's rear entry (of AC) so if you do drive away , the cord just gets left behind for the next camper.

·
Registered
842 Posts
PS ... on the pass side under the bodyside moulding between the pass door and the slider I found a stamped rectangle hole in the sheetmetal covered by a tarpaper gasket. Maybe the rest of the world gets a running light or something there. Might make a better location for shore power on the side of the van if that's where you need it. I'm also thinking entry into the interior is the same as I did mine.
So , no fumes but exposed plug thingy.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Just for reference I desert camp with a old ex-rancher from BC Canada named Ian. In the morning he douses the nearly died out campfire with a good shot of gasoline mixed with used motor oil that he brings for the purpose. Its a hold over from leading horseback camping trips into the mountains years ago. If it doesn’t go off in a few seconds he lights a wooden match and tosses it into the rising gasoline vapors. The result is a roaring ball of fire 40 feet in diameter and about that high. Waking to that at 6 am in the formerly dark Sonoran Desert gets everybody scrambling out of their sleeping bags pronto! Now, do you want to see that play out on the side of your van? Move on, it is not a good place for electric and gasoline to both be!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just for reference I desert camp with a old ex-rancher from BC Canada named Ian. In the morning he douses the nearly died out campfire with a good shot of gasoline mixed with used motor oil that he brings for the purpose. Its a hold over from leading horseback camping trips into the mountains years ago. If it doesn’t go off in a few seconds he lights a wooden match and tosses it into the rising gasoline vapors. The result is a roaring ball of fire 40 feet in diameter and about that high. Waking to that at 6 am in the formerly dark Sonoran Desert gets everybody scrambling out of their sleeping bags pronto! Now, do you want to see that play out on the side of your van? Move on, it is not a good place for electric and gasoline to both be!

I Have to agree 100% not worth the chance for such a little advantage. I used the connector I linked and its right in front of the back tire on the driver side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts