Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are people bringing shore power into the PM vans? Is there a place to do this without buying a RV inlet and cutting a hole in the van?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,095 Posts
Dangle a plug out the "thread - Wire access hole" or out the bottom of the D-pillar.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
385 Posts
Part of the question is "How much are you wanting to bring in?" If you are just wanting to bring 15A in, it's pretty easy. If you want to bring 30A in, like a real RV conversion, it gets harder as you need more of a connection. On my conversion I have a hole in the side and a Furrion 30A Marine/RV connection, which is weather tight when closed and when the RV shore cable is connected.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I went thru the "DEF" hole and and cut hole right at the B pillar . Against recommendations . Seems to have no water intrusion but If there's a gas spill I'll smell a little inside .
Might move it to under at the trim panel , add hinge and gasket .
There's a lot of posts about shore power connections . Do a search .

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,095 Posts
I went thru the "DEF" hole and and cut hole right at the B pillar...cut...
Does the lid close all the way with the cord hanging down?

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Do you really want to have an AC power receptical in your fuel tank filler compartment? Doesn’t seem very safe to me.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Buy the rv outlet....make a hole..i choose a non metal spot to cut the holes...no rusting....since you have to cut hole for tv cable just put shore power beside it!!!!!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,095 Posts
Do you really want to have an AC power receptical in your fuel tank filler compartment? Doesn’t seem very safe to me.
I throw around lots of ideas in my head, after thinking and staring at it for awhile I probably just dangle a cord through a rocker panel plug near the B-pillar since that's the shortest route to the electrical stuff.

·
Registered
773 Posts
No , can't fully close fuel door ( so no good in rain ) . Even a 90 deg 110v plug wouldn't help ( socket to deep ) . First time I didn't listen to KOV et al . It's a sweet spot but just wrong , don't fit , don't work well and hazardous . My edgy thinking was I won't be gassing up while plugging/unplugging with a load .
But I will look into the trim panel under the fuel door . Hinge at the top and some sort of gasket/bellows so I can be plugged in while rain camping . There's a taped off rectangular hole in the body there for a light that Ducatos get .
I like the idea of stepping over the cord when getting in the van to vacate the camp , a reminder like Msnomer's bungied steering wheel .

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,362 Posts
...I like the idea of stepping over the cord when getting in the van to vacate the camp , a reminder like Msnomer's bungied steering wheel .

My inlet is in the back so when you drive away, the extension cord just unplugs. No damage. I haven't done it on this van (yet!), but with my old campervan back in '72, I left extension cords all over Florida! :D

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
McNeill,

Perfect! Thank you so much, looks pretty easy if I can find someone to help get back up on my feet after laying on the ground to do this. Maybe I can find a young helper. :)

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster, Tx
90 Posts
Thanks to the forum for providing the intel on this location! I wanted to add some details for those interested. Noco 15amp 6' cord (basically an extension cord as my power consumption will be minimal). Behind this panel is simply a void and access to a snap-on cabin filter. There are 3 - T30 screws to remove to pull back the panel, 2 on the right side of the panel and 1 underneath. Imho, this has to be one of the best shore power locations for the ProMaster. Install time < 1 hr. I should've taped off around the hole location to prevent scuffing. That plastic comes out shredded around the edges of the hole piece. A pilot hole was drilled for the 2" hole drill. Silicone still needs to be added. Btw, the red "light" is just a reflector so no wiring behind there.

IMG_8120.jpg IMG_8121.JPG IMG_8118.JPG IMG_8117.jpg IMG_8112.jpg IMG_8123.JPG IMG_8124.JPG

·
Registered
2014 136" HR PM
11 Posts
used the area just forward of driver side rear wheel well. 30 amp wire fished up the pillar right into 110v distribution panel. 15 amp has the dual pig tail and out of finished wall under bunk.. works for me.. very clean set up...

·
Registered
2020 promasrer 136 HR
19 Posts
Thanks to the forum for providing the intel on this location! I wanted to add some details for those interested. Noco 15amp 6' cord (basically an extension cord as my power consumption will be minimal). Behind this panel is simply a void and access to a snap-on cabin filter. There are 3 - T30 screws to remove to pull back the panel, 2 on the right side of the panel and 1 underneath. Imho, this has to be one of the best shore power locations for the ProMaster. Install time < 1 hr. I should've taped off around the hole location to prevent scuffing. That plastic comes out shredded around the edges of the hole piece. A pilot hole was drilled for the 2" hole drill. Silicone still needs to be added. Btw, the red "light" is just a reflector so no wiring behind there.

View attachment 63792 View attachment 63793 View attachment 63791 View attachment 63790 View attachment 63789 View attachment 63794 View attachment 63795
I like your access point for shore power. I tried it - removed the tail light assembly, the 4 torx screws (1 on top on my 2020 as well), but the panel is still held in place on the left side by something. Any trick to this that I missed? Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
230 Posts
I also went thru the driver side bumper cap and routed thru the cable grommet for trailer wiring.

·
Registered
2014 136" HR PM
11 Posts
I like your access point for shore power. I tried it - removed the tail light assembly, the 4 torx screws (1 on top on my 2020 as well), but the panel is still held in place on the left side by something. Any trick to this that I missed? Thanks!
I made access for the shore power, forward of the Wheel Well directly into van and did not remove rear taillight assembly. I did however remove light assembly to put in the OEM trailer light harness..

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
431 Posts
30 amp on each side, 15 amp in the back. Anderson plug in the back for solar from the cargo.
Where are people bringing shore power into the PM vans? Is there a place to do this without buying a RV inlet and cutting a hole in the van?
One on drivers and passenger side 30amp. 15amp for generator and Anderson for solar when hauling cargo trailer. We have solar and twin honda gens in cargo.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts