Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've found a 2015 PM I like, but thought I'd search around for a similarly-equipped 2014 - some good deals on 2014s right now. Been looking online at what's on dealer lots in my general travel area and am confused about seats. I want the seats that have the two rectangular handles that adjust seat front height and seat rear height ... height adjusters. I know these are on the "adj. lumber seats". But are they also on the standard seat? I don't care about the adjustable lumbar support really. But I do want to be able to adjust the seat height. I've seen dealer photos of PMs with the height adj. handles on seats where "adj. lumbar seat" is not listed on the options list or window sticker. I've also seen photos of seats without the handles. (The suspension seat does have the handles; the factory swivel seats are too elusive for this question to even matter.) Is there a difference in the 2014/2015 standard seat? I'm confused. But if the standard issue seat has height adj. then I don't need to worry about finding/buying the lumbar seat. Help.

Also, can an aftermarket backup camera be used with a Uconnect that did not come stock with camera? Seems I remember reading all PMs come wired "camera ready". And is it basically plug'n'play with a quick visit to the settings menu?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Another confusing factor in picking seats, is what gets you the armrest for the passenger seat. I think we determined it comes with lumbar option on the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
It has been reported her that the PM is prewired for an aftermarket back up camera. However it is less clear if it needs wires connected at the radio and it seems it will need the dealer (isn't there a menu setup that can do this?) to activated it. They should be able to be shamed into doing this for free as FCA has put out information on the prewiring for the backup camera as tho all you needed to do is buy one and plug it in.
Sorry I'm seat ignorant. I ordered two fabric, lumbar seats so I hope we both get the armrest and the height adjust but our build sheet at the dealer says vinyl. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I can only tell you what I know: the base seat has the two rectangular latches/adjusters. One controls the front cushion height, the other the rear. So you do this kind of teeter totter motion to get the seat to the height you want. You can also use these to pitch the seat forward, or tip it back for sleeping/napping. A wheel controls the backrest angle, and it will go totally flat if you plan to sleep in it. There is a normal bar that controls the seat slide forward and back.

Mine has the lumbar, which is a smaller knob that rams a bar into your back. It's not bad, but it's nothing that a throw pillow wouldn't accomplish. Mine also has the armrests, which are height set-able with a knurled knob on their undersides.

A few weeks ago I scrapped my 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon, but I kept those lovely red leather seats. Glancing at it, it isn't going to be too tough to put the full barcalounger Buick seats in the PM someday when I get really bored. My point is that try not to get too hung up on the seats, or spend too much money on them. I can send you some measurements if you like, and pretty much any seat should be adaptable to the PM without performing any real surgery. Air seats, captains chairs, Eames chairs, racing buckets....anything you might want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
RD -- Ditto. Seems I remember someone on this forum posting pix of their aftermarket camera install, but I can't remember if it was hooked to the Uconnect or another device. I guess its best to just buy a van that has the camera. Most PMs out there with the Uconnect have the backup camera option, but a few do not. Mmmm ... vinyl, good luck.

Kip -- That's just what I wanted to know. Not going to worry about getting the lumbar seat now. (Apparently I won't be worrying about my passenger's left arm comfort either.) All I care about is the height/tilt adjustment. And, if I do buy that van with the double pass. seat, its good to know I can flatten the driver's seatback and shinny into the back without going outside ... in a pinch. At least until I swap seats. ;) (Still interested? Terre Haute's about halfway.) Also good to know installing totally different/better seats might be a possibility. Am seriously considering aftermarket swivels too. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Does actually have a suspension seat? I've been driving for the last three days stopping to do a bit of work here and there and I'm hurting. I'm wondering if the suspension seat is really any better?

As far as the camera goes, the van is most likely wired to the top rear of the van if there's a uconnect head unit present. Dealer may have to turn on the feature.

If you do get one and need wire info do message me or email at [email protected] and I'll send you something..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking online at a whole lot of dealer inventory. I've only run across one that has the suspension seat. (Dallas area) But then I'm looking at 1500s. Maybe its somewhat more prevalent on the 3500s or 2500s. Would be nice, I'd imagine ... never sat in one though. Thanks for the info offer. Still haven't found a van equipped exactly like I want. Maybe 80% at the very best. But I don't want to wait on a custom order. Sifting through the possibilities ...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I can kick in some more to think about:

The sudpension seat is silly, and thats why there arent many if them. You need something like that in a class 6 truck with a leaf sprung solid front axle, but the pm rides as good or better than a soccer mom's minivan. She doesnt need an air seat.

Before you buy, sit in the pm seat (any) and get a feel for the driving position. Some despise it, others like me love it. I'm at 84k after 9 months, so my butt tells me its ok. If you are tall or long legged, you will like it less. Just be prepared to embrace the Ralph Kramden driving position.

I believe the uconnect 5.0 retails gor $350. Thats a true bargain. Backup camera, two trip odometers, phone, voice command (which is useless), ipod integration, cd player (useless), compass (useless). Its worth it just for the ipod. Skip the navigation - cheaper and better to do stand alone.

Overhead tray - meh
Wood floor - better than nothing but it isnt really wood
Interior panels- nope
Tow package - yup even if you tow inly once
Block heater - nope on the gas, maybe on the diesel
Hipo alternator - probably not
Cargo partition - no way

What im driving at is that you are probably better off with a stripper and then upgrade yourself.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
The back up camera is controlled from the uconnect 5 menu for sure. I don't know about the other Promaster radios and perhaps you can only get the BU camera with the uconnect 5. As someone who has both, I would advise an aftermarket radio with a touch screen and connect an aftermarket BU camera to it. In the end it will be a better, more useful setup.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks. I'm pretty much in agreement with everything stated here re: options and have been following the options thread. I'm planning on doing a minimalist camper build and will put in a 4-inch "basement" - I'm 5'10" so that'll still give me a couple of inches overhead when standing. So the fancy "wood" cargo floor is not something I'd really want - it would basically take away an inch of height. On test drives I've used the seat's height/tilt adj. to get (oddly) comfortable and am AOK with that driving position. "... to the moon, Alice!" And I agree with every point you've made, Kip, but I am curious why you regard the voice command, cd player and compass as "useless". Are they flakey somehow or just not something you'd use in everyday activity? On my portable GPS I do use the compass feature frequently, I'm old-school and still maintain a cd collection, and I previously had a Subaru with the voice command which was nice and worked well, though I didn't really need to use it that often.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The first PM that I test drove had a suspension seat. It was... weird. Didn't do anything on small bumps like expansion joints. Kinda thought it a waste. Then I found some bigger bumps. It delayed the hit, but seemed to increase the amplitude. Quickly got scratched off our order list.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
An air seat is a must on a class 6-8 truck. The last box truck I was driving would literally bounce my head off the roof, and slam my tailbone into the floor on the way down. The air seat is the only reason I can still walk, but in a PM it's not needed.

My needs may be a bit different than yours since you are building out. I'm driving 120k year so all the little stuff becomes really important. U Connect 5.0 comes with a CD player, but that just not something I'd use. The PM has two USB ports, the one right of the shifter is power only, which I use to charge my phone. The other is behind the steering wheel in a little cubby, and I use an old iPhone as an mp3 player/podcasts. Even the most ancient iPod is going to hold hundreds if not thousands of CDs worth of audio that will never scratch, skip, or get lost. The software on that port does a pretty good job of giving you everything on the iPod on the uconnect screen, searchable. So the thought of messing with physical discs seems like more trouble than it's worth. Right next to that usb port is a regular 1/8" input, so you use any audio source there as well.

In addition, my iPhone is blue toothed to the u connect, which means I can select audio from it right from the screen. U connect also gives me full access to the contacts on my phone, and does a good job of pausing the audio to accept a phone call, using the keypad to input things during a phone call from the u connect screen and so forth. Compared to other interfaces in cars, u connect is very robust. It's only failed me once, and fixing the problem was a matter of restarting the vehicle and all was well.

The voice command on ALL cars is inferior to what you already have on your phone, which is mostly so inaccurate it's useless. "Siri, find chinese buffets near me" "I found 5 articles on Warren Buffet in China would you like me to list them?" "Siri, what's the weather in Allentown?" "There are no clowns named Allen in your contact list". That kind of thing. I have yet to get the voice command to do anything useful in the PM, though it's no worse than any car.

The compass is quantized to 8 points, making it useless as well. NE vs N isn't a very fine distinction. Besides, are we sailing or flying, or are we driving here?

My point was that at $350 u connect is totally worth it just for the backup camera. The rest of it is gravy. I don't have satellite radio so I can't comment on how well it's integrated. Oddly, I have the antenna for it and I think ALL PMs have the antenna. Look for the little black box on the roof.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Your basement idea is intriguing. I think it's great. Something to keep in mind is that unlike a RWD van, the Pm has nothing underneath it but brake lines and parking brake cable, so you could do some interesting things with unbelly storage or smuggling compartments underneath. I would assume that you could cut out huge sections of the floor without compromising the vehicle much.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I sure don't want to do any major cutting. (I'll have to find some other way to smuggle my illegal aliens!) I'm planning on putting in aftermarket windows for ventilation, but that's all the serious cutting I want to do. And I have questions about those windows, but will take that to the build forum. But yeah, lots of options. That's one thing I really like about the ProMaster.

Siri gave me a good laugh, thx!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I cross the AZ-MX border often and all roads leading from our town have border patrol checkpoints even the desert road called the devils highway! I built a false floor in the back my 4 Runner with two long drawers as part of a sleeping platform, covered it with carpet like the floor. All my friends said the same thing when I showed it to them.... "You'll get a thorough screening every time you go through the check points because if that." Well 4 years later and perhaps 40-50 checkpoints including 10 or so coming back from MX I have yet to be asked about it or gotten referred for secondary screening! Not once! Makes me feel safer being among the 600++ border patrol near our town. I say go to it and make all the storage below the floor, you'll be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts