Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want amazing front shocks and internet is slow here in Costa Rica. Somebody tell us what works best. Rancho RS9000 XL seem to be popular with a lot of trucks. What should I use for my 159 3500? We are 8200lbs loaded with all gear, passengers and full water tank. I'm having zero issues but we are off road maybe 50% of the time so if there is an upgrade to the front suspension I am all over it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The other night I saw Bilstein offers two, one direct OEM replacement and one premium (priced) strut with ride & control ability heavied up....

The Bilsteins in general are amazing, made my F150 into a new truck while they were new, very cold weather made them so-so until the N2 gas warmed up & then after 40,000 miles it took a while driving in warmish weather before they got that 'pillow' ride back... Their warranty requires items returned with no cross-shipping and has given a few owners headaches finding dealers and paying twice etc...

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured Bilstein had options. Anybody have part numbers?

I feel front shocks will be a nice upgrade. We have 245 75R16 All terrain tires, which have been great off road. We air down to 50 psi when it gets bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are also other solution like Al-Ko ACS Comfort suspension, all the strut is changed, there are several variants for vehicles with standard chassis (or with Al-Ko AMC chassis).
The front is lifted in range 25 mm to 40 mm based on different versions of ACS (light, heavy, ...).
http://www.al-ko.com/en/vehicle-technology/suspension-systems-0

In this link can be found a test made by an australian RV vehicles magazine.
https://trakka.com.au/motorhome-suspension-review/

There several other solution from Goldschmitt, OM, ...

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are also other solution like Al-Ko ACS Comfort suspension, all the strut is changed, there are several variants for vehicles with standard chassis (or with Al-Ko AMC chassis).
The front is lifted in range 25 mm to 40 mm based on different versions of ACS (light, heavy, ...).
http://www.al-ko.com/en/vehicle-technology/suspension-systems-0

In this link can be found a test made by an australian RV vehicles magazine.
https://trakka.com.au/motorhome-suspension-review/

There several other solution from Goldschmitt, OM, ...
I love your posts. They make me wish I didn't live in the US. Alas, I do. So, these options are not available to me.

Anybody have some good info for me? Am I the only one going off road?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is an Al-Ko division in the U.S.A..
If they sell, would like to sell or import from their Germany home company components for Ram Promaster I don't know.

Maybe it would be easier to deal with one of distributors of Al-Ko shock absorbers in U.S.A..
For example OSC distribute Al-Ko Extreme shocks absorbers, but also has its product line of complete strut assemblies.
http://oscautomotive.com/2014/12/osc-add-al-ko-xtreme-shocks/
http://oscautomotive.com/2014/08/osc-releases-145-qwik-fit-complete-strut-assemblies/

But there are for sure tens of other specialized custom shock absorbers/struts manufactures in U.S.A..

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there are indeed plenty of options for shocks and struts in the USA. I was just hoping someone here had experience with a front suspension upgrade on a Promaster.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
499 Posts
Did some searching for Bilsteins for my 2500 and not really getting a specific shock. Has anyone replaced the stockers with Bilsteins? Where did you get them?
I have used them on cars before and loved them.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Did some searching for Bilsteins for my 2500 and not really getting a specific shock. Has anyone replaced the stockers with Bilsteins? Where did you get them?
I have used them on cars before and loved them.

Curious what end result you're hoping to achieve?

IMO the stock shocks work fine, but they have a hard time doing their job because the van is so oversprung. Lightening the spring rate would be achieve more, and once done then you can fine tune the damping.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm currently working with Koni to import some of their FSD shocks from the Fiat Ducato over in Europe. If that doesn't work, I'll be going with the premium Bilsteins.

I think the front has an actual ok spring rate and it's a rebound issue where you hit a bump and the shock oscillates as there isn't enough rebound damping.

For the back, I got rid of the 2nd leaf spring, so I just have the single and the sway bar. Planning on putting back in a spacer to raise the van about 1" in the back to get it a little bit more bump travel back there. I think the one leaf springs works ok, but the dampening is turrble. Hopefully the Konis or Bilsteins fix that

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
I think better rear shocks are the solution for many of us with camper conversions that don't carry a lot of weight around.

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
True but there don't seem to be softer springs available. My complaint is only a harsh ride unloaded. I have no problem with sway or axel hop etc I only want a softer ride and there really doesn't seem to be a way to do it without finding softer springs.

·
Banned
413 Posts
True but there don't seem to be softer springs available. My complaint is only a harsh ride unloaded. I have no problem with sway or axel hop etc I only want a softer ride and there really doesn't seem to be a way to do it without finding softer springs.
Agreed completely. My point is why bother with damping when it's the springs that are the problem. Once you solve the springs, if damping tweaks are needed, *then* do those.

A local spring shop quoted me $900 or so for new springs out back. Said I'd need to drill out the existing bushings, meaning my old springs would no longer work if the new ones were a bust. Offered me zero evidence that he knew what he was doing, and less confidence in the whole process. When I asked him to show me a printout of some sort that'd give me a little more confidence in the software he was using to tell him how to make the springs, he put his ears back, eyes got big, and he pissed-offedly stated that I should "buy the company and then I can see all that".

Needless to say, I haven't been back.

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
Good thing you ran from them! I have several OEM spring numbers a friend in the industry gave me. They are going to make aftermarket springs but stiffer, not softer. I told him there was probably a bigger market for softer but he only works there.

Perhaps the springs in a 118 low top are much softer and would work out better for us with 159 high tops? If anyone knows of a pair sitting in a wrecking yard it might be worth buying them! People with 136's don't seem to complain about the ride so I'm assuming they have softer springs than the 159 but who knows?

·
Banned
413 Posts
Good thing you ran from them! I have several OEM spring numbers a friend in the industry gave me. They are going to make aftermarket springs but stiffer, not softer. I told him there was probably a bigger market for softer but he only works there.

Perhaps the springs in a 118 low top are much softer and would work out better for us with 159 high tops? If anyone knows of a pair sitting in a wrecking yard it might be worth buying them! People with 136's don't seem to complain about the ride so I'm assuming they have softer springs than the 159 but who knows?

This guy has already made stiffer springs for an upfitter, but that doesn't help us.

I have a 136". 6800# total vehicle weight with average amount of "trip stuff" in it. 3800 front axle, 3000 rear. Still sprung WAY too heavy -- even after removing the secondary leaf out back.

I've asked my parts gal at the dealer to dig in and find out if there is actually a difference between the cargo van springs and window van springs. Need to circle back and see what she's learned.

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
Ok here are the OEM spring numbers he gave me -

69188872AB 590 pounds per inch (his writing is kind of illegible for this number so it may be incorrect)

68241285AB 450 pounds per inch (the lightest available) this number should be good

1 - 20 of 52 Posts