Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We've rented RVs over there many times. Germany usually has the cheapest rates, so we rent there and drive to other countries. We've also looked into shipping our PM conversion over there. I think we figured the break even (vs. renting) was around 6+ months. Besides shipping costs you have to get your van to the shipping port, and then coordinate your flights with shipping times, etc. Insurance is also tricky, and some RV things are not compatible. For example, their propane fill connections are different and they don't have black tank dumps since all their RVs have cassette/chem toilets. We also read a few horror stories about shipping damage and theft of contents. In the end, we decided it wasn't for us. We'll just keep renting over there.

We have also run into a few Europeans here in NAmerica that shipped their RVs over here. They have all been on extended NAmerican tours around a year long.

A third option is "buying" an RV over there. EU countries don't let non-resident foreigners license vehicles there. But there are companies that essentially lease them to you with buy-back. The break-even (vs. renting) is about 3+ months. You might also be able to negotiate a lower long-term rental rate.

EDIT: and as KOV reminded me, their shore power is 240V.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would think that the best option would be to arrange some type of a swap with a European rv owner, or whatever you target destination is. That could be a major win-win for both parties if the match is good.

·
Super Moderator
8,338 Posts
That’s true but probably will go against insurance company rules on both continents. It’s not quite the same or simple as house swapping, unfortunately

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
We've rented RVs over there many times. Germany usually has the cheapest rates, so we rent there and drive to other countries. We've also looked into shipping our PM conversion over there. I think we figured the break even (vs. renting) was around 6+ months. Besides shipping costs you have to get your van to the shipping port, and then coordinate your flights with shipping times, etc. Insurance is also tricky, and some RV things are not compatible. For example, their propane fill connections are different and they don't have black tank dumps since all their RVs have cassette/chem toilets. We also read a few horror stories about shipping damage and theft of contents. In the end, we decided it wasn't for us. We'll just keep renting over there.

We have also run into a few Europeans here in NAmerica that shipped their RVs over here. They have all been on extended NAmerican tours around a year long.

A third option is "buying" an RV over there. EU countries don't let non-resident foreigners license vehicles there. But there are companies that essentially lease them to you with buy-back. The break-even (vs. renting) is about 3+ months. You might also be able to negotiate a lower long-term rental rate.

EDIT: and as KOV reminded me, their shore power is 240V.
Thanks SteveSS, very informative.

In your “break even” analysis, did you allow for the additional use (mileage / wear & tear / maintenance) of your own campervan being used in Europe or is that also on top of the “break even” costs?

I think if we ever go & do that we would also rent or (buy/sell).

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are lots of insurance options that allow for others to use your van. Vetting would probably be the toughest part.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
In your “break even” analysis, did you allow for the additional use (mileage / wear & tear / maintenance) of your own campervan being used in Europe or is that also on top of the “break even” costs?
No, it was just a quick ballpark estimate that didn't seem worth refining. Just the logistics of living on the westcoast and shipping out of Halifax killed it for me.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
If you are going to travel in Europe long term renting makes sense up to a point, then entering into a buyback agreement makes sense, it becomes a personal decision.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
How crazy is this idea: buy a used Ducato when you get there and convert it on the spot. A primitive build of course. Some of us could bang that out in less than a week.

Travel everywhere. Then sell it. Maybe even make a profit at the end of the day. :D

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
How crazy is this idea: buy a used Ducato when you get there and convert it on the spot. A primitive build of course. Some of us could bang that out in less than a week.

Travel everywhere. Then sell it. Maybe even make a profit at the end of the day. :D
I don't know about Canadian's but for a US citizen just visiting I'll go so far as to say not going to happen :)
Plus we IIRC we can only get 90 days visas for the Schengen area. So 90 days in and 90 days out rinse and repeat.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I don't know about Canadian's but for a US citizen just visiting I'll go so far as to say not going to happen :)
Plus we IIRC we can only get 90 days visas for the Schengen area. So 90 days in and 90 days out rinse and repeat.
Thanks. Looks like I've been doing more dreaming than any real research at this point. It turns out that Canadians are no different:

"Canadians do not need a visa to travel to countries within the Schengen area for stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. If you leave the Schengen area and return within the same 180-day period, the previous stay will count against the permitted 90 days."

Though it appears there are avenues for staying longer:

"If you plan to stay for longer than 90 days in any 180-day period, you must contact the high commission or embassy of the country or countries to which you are travelling and obtain the appropriate visa before you travel. If you do not obtain the appropriate visa and you stay longer than the permitted 90 days in the Schengen area, you may be fined or deported."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look for Trent and Allie on YouTube. They have a video about it. It was a tight fit but they did get it in.

Worth watching their video for the details. Air out of tires is an option. And I think their van is a 159 extended body.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts