Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Look for Trent and Allie on YouTube. They have a video about it. It was a tight fit but they did get it in.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wonder if those solar panels had to be removed. Have watched a few of their adventures and unfortunately they had to leave that van in Argentina due to the pandemic. They've recently been renovating a travel trailer in the states to live in, on his mom's property out in the country if I understood correctly.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Standard containers are 8-foot wide by 8 ft 6 in high inside. My garage doors are 9 feet wide and 8 feet 5 inches tall and my van can go in (the antenna hits) but I have removed my secondary leaf spring so it might be a bit lower thatn theirs. My Solar panels raise the height needed by about 2.75 inches. If one of us wanted to ship the van in such a container removing the solar and caping the vent top with a flat plywood piece wioud get it in. RoRo is a more popular shipping option where the van is rolled on and rolled off. Perhsps less secure but much cheaper and height is not an issue. I have talked to several European van travelers who did that. One was a Hight top European Ducato much higher than 8 feet 6 inches. This was in AZ just North of the border as they were headed into Mexico.
TravelersinAjo.png

·
Registered
331 Posts
Darn. It's only 8ft 5 and 49/64 inches on the 45 high. Now the wheels might need to come alll the way off...
That's a crazy-specific measurement. I'd be pretty upset if there was even a slight variance

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
here's a spec from a Canada company
20 ft hi-cube
Exterior: 20’L x 8’W x 9’6”H
Interior: 19’5″L x 7’8”W x 8’10”H
Door Opening: 7’8”W x 8’5”H

Notice the interior height vs door height.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I only skimmed the video and so maybe they described it but I didn't see it. Does anyone know the cost of shipping a van from N. America to Europe? I could see myself up for a few months of travel there in a few year's time.

·
Super Moderator
8,338 Posts
I think it was about $2k a few years ago (Newark to Rotterdam) but you can put 1 ½ Promasters in a 32’ container. RORO is the best & simplest deal but no real security for anything inside. I brought many Mercedes over in the 80’s RORO with no problems and it was about $1k in those days!

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
That $2K cost is RORO as the few travelers I have spoken to were in agreement. They had done it the other way (Rotterdam to Newark or Halifax NS.) Container shipping looks to be no more surprisingly.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Thanks guys. I've been telling my wife that the savings on the cost of a hotel AND a rental car for such an extended trip could cover the shipping. I understand that insurance costs are a killer though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts