Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to start a build thread for Shiny. This will be my first RV build, although I've built houses and boats before. We've rented several RVs in Europe over the last 10 years and most were Fiat Ducatos. Those experiences cemented our priorities for Shiny, which are: a boondocking machine with a fixed bed, indoor toilet and shower, a small but functional kitchen, storage, and single fuel (no propane, all electric).

It's been ordered with factory swivel seats, UConnect 5.0 with backup camera, power mirrors, cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel, security alarm, 2 extra keys, aux-power connection, slush mat, mud flaps, premium HD suspension, wheel covers, 220A alternator, tow hitch, no badging (fleet option), and no windows. Motion Windows are on order. There will be one Maxxair fan centred fore and aft with solar panels at both ends (2+2).

We have a floorplan, which I'll post as soon as I make it presentable. In the meantime, I'll start with the basic electrical plan. I have most of the large stuff already. I want to thank everyone for their input. I worked from Gary's diagram. It's an experiment at powering some high wattage equipment (e.g., induction cooktop, hot water heater (Isotherm Spa), and small portable heater (Caframo True North).

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Floorplan 1.0

This is our general floor plan. Utilities (batteries, fresh-water tank, Isotherm Spa HW heater, etc) under forward end of the bed (over the axle) and stowage space aft. Grey-water tank underneath the van. Half of the shower doubles as the hall to the bed; the other half doubles as parking space for a clothes drying rack (etc). The head is a porta-potti. Lower kitchen cabinets hold sink, fridge, and portable induction cooktop. Upper cabinets and table yet to be determined. MaxxAir fan above the shower, with a pair of 100W solar panels forward of the fan and another pair aft. We'll fine tune all this once we get the van around the end of April.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Very nice. One suggestion is to look into awning windows where the bottom opens as we love ours when we want fresh air and it’s raining or looks like it might by the time we get back from our walk (lunch, shopping, bike ride, etc......)

·
Registered
366 Posts
In case you didn't just forget to add it in the plans, I think you'll want to build a raised floor section for your feet to touch down when you have the front seats swiveled around. I plan to do this and probably also use it to put in a mount for a table leg/stand to go between both seats. You can also use it for storage or for house electronics as I've seen some do.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case you didn't just forget to add it in the plans, I think you'll want to build a raised floor section for your feet to touch down when you have the front seats swiveled around. I plan to do this and probably also use it to put in a mount for a table leg/stand to go between both seats. You can also use it for storage or for house electronics as I've seen some do.
Yep, that's in our plans, just not on this drawing. All the electronics go under the bed. We 'll use it for shoe storage, ala RD, MsN, and others. Possibly a table post-mount, too, but I'm really hoping for a swing table like post #15 here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53658. I'll test the geometry full-scale once we have the van.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep, that's in our plans, just not on this drawing. All the electronics go under the bed. We 'll use it for shoe storage, ala RD, MsN, and others. Possibly a table post-mount, too, but I'm really hoping for a swing table like post #15 here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53658. I'll test the geometry full-scale once we have the van.
Thanks for that link. I'm going to try and add a sleeve to the front of my kitchen cabinet to swing a table in front of the swivels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm taking a slightly different approach. Neither the Ms or I are very good at crawling off the end of the bed w/o taking the sheets and blankets with us, and we don't want to crawl over each other on our nightly sojurns to the potty so we opted for a bunk bed solution. The Ms gets the lower bunk and I'm in the nose bleed section when she travels with me. Makes better use of space in the 136 WB. The top bunk hinges down to create a slanted back turning the bottom bunk into nice seating for 3 or 4 if we have company stop by for tea. Normally the bunks stay made up as beds.

I ordered the factory swivel seats. The cabinet behind the driver has a cantilevered shelf, (may decide to turn it into a shelf that folds down when not needed) to provide a table for the driver, and the passenger has a table that folds down and swivels out of the way when not needed. Floor is raised for about 18" so our feet don't dangle ala Edith Ann (if you're old enough to remember Laugh In). The raise floor space will be more storage.

This leaves large storage spaces and counter tops for the galley, under the bunk, and behind the driver. Most storage will be full extension drawers as I'm getting to old to get down on my hands and knees and reach back into low cupboards. At this point we like the open feel with no upper cupboards. This may change but for now we're going to see if we can do without.

The little round recessed steel cylinder next to the sink is a 1 gallon steam table drop-in that will be used as our trash can. The Ms worked in the restaurant industry for many years and she likes being able to scoop the mess down the hole in the prep table.

Porta-Potty is stowed in the bottom of the cabinet behind the driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
SSS,

Looking at the floorplan and thinking a bit more, I wonder....

Did you consider doing two beds on each side against the wall, and extending the hall up the center to the back doors? I have a similar setup on my 159 and it still gives me plenty of space for storage and a long area to walk in, get dressed, move long objects, etc.

My couches are 24" wide, and easily extend out into the aisle (hall) making them 30" wide. It's a pretty comfortable width for us for sleeping. Or with a slightly modified top, you could have 24" couches that extend across the aisle to get full 36".

Here's a picture of the setup: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=321362&postcount=7

Just some food for thought... hmmm, food.... time for lunch!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here is the plumbing plan, so far. This part will definitely be a father-son project. He's a plumber.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the plumbing ideas! I like how you linked the various parts, I think I will look at adding a strainer and pressure tank to my setup.

Shaun

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you consider doing two beds on each side against the wall, and extending the hall up the center to the back doors? I have a similar setup on my 159 and it still gives me plenty of space for storage and a long area to walk in, get dressed, move long objects, etc.
Yes, we considered something like your setup. But having a permanent bed is a major priority for us. Among other things, we don't like making up a bed every night, and neither of us like couches. Weird, eh?

Funny story -- the last RV we rented in Europe had something similar to yours. Only the aisle gap was filled with a removable board held up by small aluminum brackets. The first time I climbed into bed, the brackets sheered off and I plummeted to the floor (I'm 190lbs). We slept in separate narrow beds for 4 weeks! And then McRent charged *us* 50 Euro in damages. It didn't affect our bed preferences though.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I will look at adding a strainer and pressure tank to my setup.
Shaun, the instructions for this particular pump (Shurflo 1008) say it doesn't need an accumulator (small pressure tank). But some posts on other RV forums claim it still pulsates at low-flows, so I'm installing an accumulator just in case. Be aware I do tend to over-engineer stuff. Case in point: in addition to the strainer, I am putting one of these on my tank-filling hose. https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-40043-X-TastePURE-Flexible-Protector/dp/B0006IX87S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491167627&sr=8-1&keywords=camco+filter

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Steve. If you don't mind which strainer should I get for the Shurflo 131? The manual says to use Shurflo 255, but when I search I see many different versions of the 255. My pump also says an accumulator is not required. My pump: http://shurflo.com/rv-products/131-shurflo-revolution-pump-12-vdc-3-0-gpm
You and I have the same pump (131 = 4008). The various 255 strainers just have different connection fittings. If you're not sure, 255-315 keeps the most options open.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shiny has arrived!

We picked up the van today. That's a whole lot of empty space full of promise! Very impressed with how it drives, too. Way better than our '91 Ford E350ext (136"WB). First step is Noico sound deadening, then on to floor and insulation. Photos to come.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
About this Discussion
115 Replies
34 Participants
emat
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing