Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After we had our winter tires switched out, our 2017 159" Promaster 2500 developed a shimmy in the front end on acceleration. It doesn't seem to happen all the time, but it happens often. We took it into the dealer, and they were lame-os. They said they couldn't reproduce it and gave up, though I can't imagine they tried that hard.

Anyway, any ideas what could be happening with that?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Ask the lame-o’s to rotate the tires to make the van owner happy. Report back. If it's the tires it will go away.

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
414 Posts
Happened on mine after 1st rotation. Slight shimmy accelerating between 40-50 especially under load like uphill. No unusual tire wear. Just did 2nd rotation and now it's gone.

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... rotating the tires didn't fix it, and the shimmy got worse. Turns out the CV boot is leaking badly and the entire axle needs to be replaced. The bummer thing is that they can't get the parts until Tuesday and can't schedule the work until Thursday, and we're in Boulder, where the outside air isn't good for me. They say the van should only be driven short distances in the meantime. Big bummer. And we took it in initially several weeks ago, but they said they couldn't replicate the problem then. I don't think they tried very hard -- it happened quite frequently. Would have been so, so much better if we could have dealt with it then. Oh well. At least it's under warranty so we don't have to pay for the work.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...At least it's under warranty so we don't have to pay for the work.
Make sure they look at both sides. Take it to an independent mechanic if you are near the end of warranty. This is a premature failure and the other side might not be far behind.

Ford pissed me off once on a similar situation on extended warranty. CV joint hadn't failed yet but boot was leaking. They only fixed the one side even though the other was clearly weather checked. Within months the other side started leaking and I had to take it in again, wasting more time, and pay another $100 deductible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts