Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have the video feed from the OEM backup camera display all the time on a rearview mirror monitor. If the connections from the camera are unplugged from the Uconnect and plugged into the rearview mirror monitor (with separate 12v power to the monitor), will it work? Is the OEM camera supplied with power when the ignition is on or only when the vehicle is in reverse? Will the vehicle's system "complain" that it cannot find the video feed in the Uconnect? [The vehicle is a Winnebago Travato 59K, so the rearview mirror shows just a tiny "slice" of what's directly behind the vehicle] Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
The camera is always powered when the ignition is on. If you can find the video in on the unconnect I would think you could rewire it to any always on powered monitor. I doubt if the computer would care but who knows? I'm no expert but if I were you I would try it. Or, do what proeddie is planning and just get another camera and connect it to your mirror monitor.

Ed, what do you think? ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have also considered another camera, but it would need to be a wireless connection because I cannot find a clean path to run a wire (the Winnebago modifications have closed off all the possible routes). I've read that the wireless arrangements are far from ideal, being subject to interference, etc. I may end up having to go that route.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am sure one day people will get sick of me saying replace the UC5.0, today could be that day? I do know with aftermarket units you can control the on and off of the camera on most touchscreen aftermarket units. My Pioneer AVH-5700 has this function and it is great! When I tow my trailer full of stand up paddleboards, I usually turn on the camera for the first hour to make sure all the boards are secure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I don't want to give up the navigation screen to see the camera view. That's why I want to shunt the video feed to another monitor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like to have the video feed from the OEM backup camera display all the time on a rearview mirror monitor.
solution: connect the camera to a power source that always on instead of reverse light.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
Here's my 2 cents...

The camera is powered on when the key is on.

The camera is displayed on the UConnect radio using the CanBus system for communications. The days of "hook a switch to a wire" are gone! The camera is displayed when you put the van in reverse and the CanBus tells the radio to display it. No switch or relay involved, just some 1's and 0's.

You can hook a switch to a wire, kinda. If you find the white/blue stripe wire in the harness in the rear corner on the passenger side, and ground it with a switch, the camera will display on the radio screen (tip from fellow forumite). Why? because you're grounding the wire that tells the CanBus system that the rear passenger side door is open... and for some reason, that is programmed to turn on the camera display! Of course, a light will display on the dash indicating that the back door is open, but that's not a big deal. Also, a small beep will happen occasionally to warn you, but no issues with doing that.

I have done that and it is useful. When we brought home a large fig tree that a friend gave us, we put it on a cargo tray in the hitch receiver, and it was useful to see what was going on back there!

I plan to add a separate wired camera mounted in the license plate area to give a more rearview-like look at what's happening. The wire will go to a 7" monitor mounted in place of the rearview mirror. *Spring plan... getting cold out there! I've been spoiled with the 8" radio monitor in my Challenger, and the 5" display on the PM radio is pretty small (almost useless). I would imagine that a 2" rearview built-in-the-mirror display would be impossible to actually see anything in!

I'm not sure I would trust a wireless connection, but depending on the brand, it might work well! JEM, I hear ya, but it might be worth the effort to try and get a wire from front to back... maybe outside along the frame? Go for it!

Ed

ps. yes, the fig tree made it home in one piece and is resting comfortably in our garage, next to the Challenger!

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
Ed, I agree with you, BUT the OP only wants to view the BU camera with a separate monitor. I don't see why it ca't be disconnected totally from the canbus and powered and viewed on another monitor. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
No, we are saying the same thing. The camera should have power all the time, so if he can find the lead that feeds the camera video to the radio, and disconnect it without any errors, then the wire should provide video to a different monitor.

My only problem with that is the view it provides.... good for knowing how far to back up without hitting a wall >:D, but not great as a substitute for a rearview mirror while going forward. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am sure one day people will get sick of me saying replace the UC5.0, today could be that day? I do know with aftermarket units you can control the on and off of the camera on most touchscreen aftermarket units. My Pioneer AVH-5700 has this function and it is great! When I tow my trailer full of stand up paddleboards, I usually turn on the camera for the first hour to make sure all the boards are secure.
Andrew....how do I access this feature on my unit considering we have the same set up? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to be so late in replying . . . busy December and January. Anyhow, I ended up with a separate camera mounted on the side of the trailer hitch. Wireless. The monitor clips onto the rearview mirror. It's much bigger, and also functions as a rearview mirror with the camera off (though with the camera on and set to a certain brightness, I can use the monitor both as a camera or as a mirror depending on how I focus my eyes. Weird). The goal of the camera was to be able to figure out when I am far enough past a vehicle in the lane to my right so that I can move over without cutting off that vehicle. It works. The power for the camera is from the power feed to the trailer hitch (so the lights need to be on, but I do that anyway because that gives me daylight driving lights). The power for the monitor comes from a power source behind the console. Running a wire is possible but would require cutting through something somehow to get the wire from the underside into the cabin. If the wireless ever proves unreliable I suppose I'll need to try that.

Thanks to all for the help and comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts