Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on an ordering spree. Breakers breakers and more breakers. Again using the diagram
on Gary's site (thanks again, and again Gary).
One thing I'm not easily seeing in everyone's build galleries are images of the actual light fixture(s) used in their PMs, nor the on-off switches used.
Images, links would be very helpful.

We're scheming lights in these places, your thoughts apprecited-
1. in the ceiling over the entrance at the sliding door
2. in the ceiling kinda behind the driver's/passenger's seats so when you swivel to the pedestal table
between the seats the light will be over the table
3. we're doing a cabinet behind the driver's seat with a fold down work table sized for two people
to work on their laptops, so two lights over the fold down table
4. two lights over the head end of the platform bed, his-n-hers.
5. light mounted on each rear door that aims straight down at yet more fold down tables/rear work
station

So thoughts/links on lights to be ordered please.

Also if you don't mind please suggest switches for
1. lights above the bed, each controllable
2. switch at sliding door entrance to turn on all the lights at once (is that possible, I'll have to get with the electrical guy and ask about that), or at least several

As always I'm thankful not having to re-invent the wheel at each step thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,825 Posts
It will depend in part on how bright your interior surfaces are. I installed 5 of these (chrome finish)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MV1V80C/ref=psdc_11439431011_t1_B00MV4T25C

Pointed at my white ceiling, one at a time is usually all we need. I spent so little time contemplating their purchase that I am amused when people comment on them. Switch is on the fixture, so no need for separate switch. Beware that many fixtures designed for "rv's" are intended for Class A & C and would overpower our vans. I learned the hard way--I have a humongous one I need to get rid of.

I thought I needed a light over the slider. Ended up without one, haven't missed it.

We have two lights at each end of the bed. Symmetrical. Even light when we spread out maps. Could switch ends of bed if we wanted. Why not?

Consider a small directed light so one can make breakfast/coffee while the other snoozes. We will be adding that.

I fretted looking for something small for answering natures call at 2am. I shouldn't have worried. USB ports have lights on them. Leave the cover off one and problem solved.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Our light fixtures had integral switches:

We used this over our counter:
http://www.dyersonline.com/gustafson-satin-nickel-double-directional-reading-light.html

We placed one of these in each corner of our bed.
http://www.dyersonline.com/gustafson-satin-nickel-directional-reading-light.html

Replaced the incandescent bulbs with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E2PKN0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that these lights will need ample room behind them for the rotating portion of the fixture.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points and links. Thanks.
I don't fully understand the Class B,C distinction for light requirements but
do understand a little light goes a long way on bright/white walls.
We're still planning on the insta-wall-kit from Penda or Legends Fleet and they are either
whitish or grey.
These are the lights that so far have caught her eye-
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dual-surface-mounted-led-fixture/78003
Comment please.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,825 Posts
You may be sending them back and ordering RD'S, which I suspect would fit your decor better than mine. His van is much darker than yours will be, yet less than half the light can be too much for him.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
You're too fast for me! Just saw the post.

I have some extras of these

They are nice and bright, use warm LEDs, and are surface mount with a switch for on/off. I like them because the milky cover diffuses the light so you just see light, not LEDS.

And I have some (6) extras at $15 each if you're interested.

In the ON mode...

I have a dimmer for all my lights (I have 6 in my van... 4 in the living area and 2 in the back bathroom/dressing area) so there is plenty of light when needed, but easily dimmed to a dull glow for TV watching, bathroom breaks,etc...

Regardless of the lights you get, I would suggest a dimmer.... they are cheap, some are remote control, and 1 dimmer will do 4 or 6 lights easily.

ed

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed thanks for the notice.
I'll show the boss when she gets home later this evening.
Looks to be plenty of light with that fixture.
Will have to study dimmers....can any LED be dimmed I wonder?
We're looking at 6 total fixtures, the ones ordered are double sided if that helps, so you can turn off left or right or both...so in a way that makes 12 total.
While thinking on this, can all 6/12 be on one circuit? You all will know, else I can ask my electrical man when we get way down the road to that point.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Proeddie, even more important. In the image above of your light, what is the little block between the light fixture
and the insulation? Or, how did you attach the fixture?
These fixtures seem so light maybe they can be attached with double sided adhesive?
Also is that a fold down table kinda below it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Having something your spouse likes outweighs everything else. Dimmers will solve any excess light issue. One reason to put lights on separate circuits is one blown circuit won't leave you in the dark.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
mm,

You could use double stick tape, but the fixture has a place for four screws to attach it. When you take the trim cover off, you can access the screws so when mounted they don't show. The block in my picture is a temporary support until I put my ceiling in. Below it is the door of the upper cabinet over my fridge.

Here's a better context picture of the two lights in the back area.

A dimmer like this will dim almost any 12V led. They work up to 8A which is over 6 of the fixtures I mentioned on one dimmer. If the boss is interested, I can put one in with the 6 fixtures mentioned above...

Different types are all over eBay... "12V LED dimmer". I use one like this and take it out fo the box and mount on a wall plate. The remote versions are on eBay too.

ed

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it adjust the voltage/current, or a pulse width modulation? Pulse width can be annoying as your eyes move the lights will track in a jerky fashion. Various Cadillac LED tail lights come to mind.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have 2 of these in the main area https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Fixtu...85880452&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+led+lights+3+pack I use the switch on each unit for turing on and off. These lights are very bright with both sides turned on.

I have one of these over the counter and one above the top bunk https://www.amazon.com/Light-AUDEW-...564&sr=8-36-spons&keywords=rv+led+strip&psc=1 the one over the counter is on a standard house switch like 49 cents at home depot . the one over the bed uses its own switch on the side

I have this one on the outside of the van and its operated by a standard house switch to. https://www.amazon.com/Lumitronics-...d=1485880717&sr=8-3&keywords=rv+outside+light its not super bright but it does the job

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Proeddie that picture speaks a thousand words because of the context/environment showing just how much light those fixtures put out.
Love the little city and the servicing express circling it! Promaster Express ?? Lot of work there.
Also thanks for the wiki on the dimmer.

So it looks like MsNomer is correct yet again on how it is easy to overpower the small coach area of the PM with lights; yet there will be times when I will need it to look like an airport light-wise inside when I'm inevitably looking for a small lost part having rolled under something

One thing I've noticed in this whole process is that there are often too many choices...sometimes where you can't make a wrong decision but other times when you absolutely can!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Charger thank you too! Great links....and I'm slowly seeing the light.

At this point the only two lights we're still trying to find are the fixtures that will go on each
back door that stick out from the door 3-6 inches and point straight down. We plan to have folding
down table/shelf on each door for task work and will need to light up the fold down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts