Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know of a pretty shady business practice from Van Horne Dodge in Plymouth, WI.

I was looking at a used 2016 Promaster 2500 with the Smartfloor system and seats installed in the back. The mileage was listed at just over 12,000 miles. It was listed on Autolist at $34,488 and on their own web site for $38,750. I sent an email asking if it was still available, and this morning they edited the price to be $42,000 on both Autolist and their web site, then called me back. If you click on "Price History" on the Autolist listing you see the change they made this morning.

I was told that the Smartfloor system and seats was not included in the price of $34,488 even though it is clearly listed under the "Included options". I was also told by the sales guy that called me back that this is still considered a "new" van even though it has over 12,000 miles on it because "It has always been in house, and we rent it out to local corporations to use as a shuttle. It has never been registered or titled". Yet another lie as the listing and the Carfax report say "One Owner" and that a title was issued in July of 2017.

Overall I am pretty disappointed. I was ready to purchase at the advertised price before they changed it. I know that overall car dealerships are pretty shady and will sell their grandmothers to the Devil for a dollar, but this really felt intentional and dishonest.

Just a warning to others..

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
535 Posts
You could order a new van for that price. Move on.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sounds like more proof they are allowing eight-year-olds in business suits to run departments, companies, agencies, nations... Scary ain't it?

Sales Managers try to leverage the upfitter's packages, but 12000 miles into it I'd think the bloom is off that rose... The lowest publicized price mentioned seems like a rational negotiation starting place...

https://tinyurl.com/ya8xf4d5 <-- Kelly's Blue Book valuation of a 2016 window van with every possible option, $23200 to 27,500 private-party retail sale.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could order a new van for that price. Move on.
Where?

The interior up fit with Smartfloor, 8 seats, Medallion wall liners and rear heat and a/c are $15K. $34,488-$15,000 = $19,488. Please, tell me where I can order a van for $19,488.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like more proof they are allowing eight-year-olds in business suits to run departments, companies, agencies, nations... Scary ain't it?

Sales Managers try to leverage the upfitter's packages, but 12000 miles into it I'd think the bloom is off that rose... The lowest publicized price mentioned seems like a rational negotiation starting place...

https://tinyurl.com/ya8xf4d5 <-- Kelly's Blue Book valuation of a 2016 window van with every possible option, $23200 to 27,500 private-party retail sale.
That's the way I looked at it. Van would be worth about $24K-$25K . Upfitter package when new was about $15K. After two years and 12,000 miles say $10K value for upfitter package. So $34K-$35K.

Potentially less, but it can take months to get on a schedule for an upfitter. Some people will pay the price to not wait so they aren't as negotiable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, the part about jacking the price up after an inquiry really takes the cake. It's a good warning, since this dealer has a whole bunch of new PM inventory, and lots of colors, too. They prominently mention "Call About our upfit programs..." in the detail for each one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not sure the dealers are really on top of their websites. My guess is it's farmed out to others and they just pull automated information from FCA and they apply standard discounts. Could be honest mistake that they didn't include the upfit. I've seen the same with conversion vans. Website posts the price of the base van without the upgrade. I've never dealt with Van Horn, but to their credit, they seem to have the most stock of non-white and higher optioned Promasters.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you look at their listings on Autolist and check the price history, you'll see frequent price drops of several thousand dollars followed by a similar increase a week later, then back down again, then back up.

It might have been an honest mistake, but in three different places they clearly indicated that the price includes the upfitter portion. You can buy a new 2018 with the same upfitter package for $42K, so asking that for a 2 year old van with 12,000 rental miles, already titled, warranty 2/3rds gone and calling a "new leftover" is shady enough. Changing the price makes it worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts