Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so with the diesel, we are to leave it in gear and set the handbrake. Has anyone run into an issue with the handbrake poking you in the leg or arse as you try to get out?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have a ripped pair of good hiking shorts left from a debacle which resulted in my hanging from the handle and nearly falling on my head! That was 5 months ago and no repeat as I have newfound respect for that gooser! You learn. I have no problem with it now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I as well have been ' hooked ' several times , but only in the winter months due to longer and bulkier coats.Fortunately, I have always had one foot on the ground so I was stable and able to 'unhook' without incident.But, I always use the brake and so far no freeze-up . Looking forward to warmer weather and no heavy coats.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Every time I see that dang thing I know it's plotting against me. I have been "goosed" by it a few times, but never snagged yet. I know it's just a matter of time.

I see on the 2016's that they have the option for a power Parking Brake. I would have sprung for that option if available.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got jabbed where the sun don't shine getting out the other day. We had 60mph winds and I was trying to keep the door from blowing out of my hand as I got out. The wind pulled me out and I took a hard step down and it happened. Ever since I rotate in my seat put booth feet on the step well then exit the van. I guess they had a bit of oversight in the placement of the hand brake. My Sprinter has the hand brake lever on the right side of the seat so this was never an issue.

Now to figure out a way to adjust the lever so it can no longer do anyone bodily harm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had mine for less than a week and already had a few intimate encounters. Now I go with the same two feet on the step technique. Tried to order the electric brake for my 2016 but it wasn't available in October. Probably impossible to retrofit the electric brake but it looks like it might be possible to relocate the handle mount to the foot well. But I have much higher priority projects, like floor, windows, insulation and a bed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A lovely pair of my shorts ripped as i was left dangling an inch from the pavement. There was probably some expletives stated. Only happened once though! ��

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say we all call and complain about this to Chrysler and have them do a free upgrade to all our vans when the electric parking brake is available.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dead of night, van cold, glaze ice everywhere, step slathered with snow, stuff on feet melted just enough for greatest teflon anti-gravity effect, and more worried about the initial launch off the seat than crash landing on icy concrete.

Don't ignore that old saying “Once an accident, twice a coincidence, three times is a habit”.... Maybe they'll issue a warranty-mandatory day-glow pink feathered boa "rainbow" lever mod to keep sleepy or distracted drivers wary?

Yup. Y'all have my sympathies, got some chuckles from the positive attitude adjustments confessed here.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't know what you folks are doing to get tangled in the hand brake. I've never done that.

An electric parking brake is more stuff to go wrong. I don't like those.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Got one in my Leaf and it has worked flawlessly for five years, releases automatically if your buckled up, in gear and give a little go pedal. Best part is it never tried to crawl up my butt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, I was the victim today, first day in shorts today, got hooked and dangled for a few secs, dropped my phone face first in the gravel. Not sure how I got out of it but it wasn't fun.

Handbrake location: fail

Reactions: SewerRatz

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know what you folks are doing to get tangled in the hand brake. I've never done that.
Happens when I "glide" out of the seat to the left. We call it the sodomy stick. We hit it enough that it is bent out a little wide. :p So I pivot 90 degrees sideways and jump out.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Handbrake and shorts

I too have caught my shorts on the brake handle. I came up with a prototype protector a black sock filled with foam pipe insulation and sewed along the top to the seat. By just sewing along the top of the sock, it will act as a hinge at the sew line and not interfere with the brakehandle. This was made with parts laying around the van so cost outlay to me was zero.
HANDBRAKE 2_20160819_075822.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Been geesed (that’s goosed several times). So far only one pair of shorts ripped as I took the headlong asphalt plunge. Score 8.6 according to my wife! I have tried to bend the handle close to the seat to no effect. There is probably a good product idea in this.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Is this a diesel problem? I've never come even close to catching anything on my gas Promaster EB. I've probably only used it 2 or 3 times in the two years I've had it and have totally forgotten it even exists. I did pull it up just to see what people are talking about but there is no way I could ever catch anything on mine, up or down and I'm only 5' 7"!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Been meaning to try the hand brake, maybe this will remind me.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Trust me KOV if you used the E brake and wore shorts.... sooner or later you are taking the plunge! On the diesel if you don’t set the E brake the warning chime is incessant and loud. Probably you don’t get the chime so you don’t use the brake? With the brake handle down I don’t think it will get your shorts. So yea it may be a diesel thing. I have learned to avoid the catch-me. We are the same height!

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Perhaps I have "small hands" , as one well known pundit likes to suggest to others? Or, is it fingers?

At any rate I wear shorts all summer, never use the EB and have never been sodemized by anyone or anything! Am I missing out on anything? Are my hands/fingers too small?

I guess we shall all find out in November ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts