Ram Promaster Forum banner

Service Parking Assist

33K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Jann Smith 
#1 ·
Today my "generic" warning light came on and I got a message "Service Parking Assist" on the screen. Any idea what this is?

It's Sunday, and I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow, but would love to avoid the 50 mile drive to get it sussed out.

Thanks

#4 ·
Mine was on for months, the dealer replaced a sensor and it went away... then it came back.

I have periods of random back up beeping, then it goes away.

The mechanic thought it was my bike rack, but I've pulled it off and the dash light remains.

When I get back over to Seattle I'll have them check it again.

It's annoying, but it's not a big deal.

#7 ·
My 2018 has given me this 2x's in about a 4mth period and it eventually cleared itself. I don't drive mine much as the present time. I don't have a hitch or any ice. I only have 1,200 miles so far. My driveway has a 1 to 2% grade and have parked the van both nose up and down and don't know what the cause is. I don't set the parking brake but maybe this is the cause.

#8 ·
I use a cargo carrier on mine and I get the light... it seems like after a certain number of reverse cycles with the cargo carrier on, I get the light and the message. not sure how to clear it, but if I remove the carrier it goes away. I am trying to find a way to shut off the sensors with out the light coming on. I really hate driving around with an idiot light on. if someone finds a way to trick the system into thinking there is alway a trailer connected, that'd be awesome. it seems that if you get the factory trailer wiring, the computer knows when you have something connected and will disengage the sensors...

#9 ·
The Parksense has a disable line that is triggered by the factory trailer lighting module - here's information on hooking it up:
https://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233169&postcount=2

If you hook that up, and if you put a load on your trailer lights (either by having lights on your carrier, or by just plugging a 6 ohm 30W load resistor into the trailer lights), it will tell the park assist module "Of course you are reading something back there - we are towing something! Chill out!" and that may help you avoid the warning message.

#11 ·
I'm having similar issue with the Service Parking Assist light coming on after installing a rear ladder. My question is this: If I were to shorten the lowest 2 inch portion of the ladder legs, would it make a difference? Or do the sensors locate things in the general vicinity, including a few inches above it. I don't really want to go through the hassle to chopping the legs with a hacksaw or angle grinder (and risk damaging the ladder, or surrounding paint) if it's not going to fix the issue. And taking the ladder off to make the cut is the last thing I want to do, I already had to do it once to adjust the clearance around the license plate. Each time I remove the ladder it scrapes some of the white paint off because the brackets are too snug.

#13 ·
This sensor has a different spec,

Elliptical detection zone with appr. field-of-view
(FoV) opening angles of
± 60° @ –3dB horizontally
± 30° @ –3dB vertically

#15 ·
For giggles you could make a 55° triangle on paper and see if it clears, since you are only interested in the upper part of the 110° angle.

#16 ·
As an update, I cut the lower 3" or so from the ladder bars, and when I cranked up the van the warning light disappeared. However, putting it into reverse still caused the steady alarm sound (which made me think it would have eventually turned into a full blown warning light?). Just to do a full test, I added the black rubber base protectors (which are about 2" long and in the picture), and tried again. To my surprise there was no warning sound, and everything is back to normal! Maybe the black covering makes it somewhat more invisible? Either way I won't mess with it unless it acts up again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.