Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first nonstop drive from Chicago to St Louis just under 300 mikes total. As I was nearing my exit off of I55 the dash beeped at me, then said "Service Engine" "Service DEF System". I won't be able to get it to a dealer till I get back home Monday. So I'll post again what the issue is when I find out. BTW mileage is 3796.

·
Registered
329 Posts
BTW, I hope mine was fixed with the replacement of the wiring harness cause we're headed out on Sunday morning from Florida to New Mexico and I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope we don't have any problems along the way....

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after my class I got in the van and started to drive back to the hotel. The screen popped up saying "Speed Limited within 200 miles Service Def See Dealer"

Of course the drive back is 270 miles, and when I called the dealership this morning they said they can't get me in till Wednesday. Tried to call back when the new message popped up, and of course they service department is closed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got off the phone with the dealership service department I bought my promaster at, he said get it to a local dealer asap. He said do not reach zero on the mileage count down, cause once I shut the van off when it reaches zero it will not restart.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
These two DEF cases are a bit different phenomena than earlier ones. Earlier we were getting reports of DEF issues early in the van's use, often in the first 100 miles. I thought those were issues with bad DEF from MX or from sitting too long, and I still do. These are different in that several gallons or more of DEF would have been used before the codes come up suggesting a different issue. The code P2BA9 mentioned suggests bad DEF and there are solutions to it on other Chrysler sites that a ECM update lets the computer tolerate a wider range of sensor feedback to "ignore" this issue as it is probably not bad DEF really. Here and elsewhere, changing out the DEF injector has solved it but the flash of the ECM may be a better solution. The bad wiring in undoubtably corrosion from DEF in the wires. I am just blathering as I only have been able to review what is happening here and in other Chrysler forums. This is still a very small group of van's with issues after nearly a year with almost none.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got to a dealership that services promasters, but the promaster tech is off today. So I am stranded in Springfield Il till Monday. What fun....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know if Fiat Chrysler will reimburse me for being stranded out of town due to this issue?

The dealership did try to reset the mileage count down I'm hopes I'd be able to get back home. Thing is home is 230 miles away, and the count down would not reset. The countdown is now at 90 miles. So the cheapest hotel I found is going to run me 180 bucks for the weekend.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have dropped the PM off at the dealer, gotten on hotwire.com and found myself a rental car to go home for the weekend. Pretty sure that would have been less than $180, and it might be easier to get reimbursed for transportation than for lodging.

Food for thought if there is a ' next time', but I really hope there isn't.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I am back on the road. The tech went to pull the codes but there was none in the system. (Saturday code clearing attempt cleared the codes) Yet the DEF countdown was still present. So they contacted Star which told them to preform the Stars case S142000006 and take it on a 30 mile test drive. The countdown is now gone.

They replaced the def fluid with fresh fluid. So here is me crossing my fingers. Oh the service manager told me that Fiat Chrysler will reimburse me, all I had to do is call and tell them that I had a trip interruption.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heard from FCA today, they are going to cut me a check to reimburse me for the cost of the trip interruption. The nice lady kept asking me if all I was claiming was the extra nights stays in the hotel. If I had the receipts for eating out, or anything else that was caused by being stranded over the weekend to let her know. So within the next 14 days I should have my money.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Great! I'm sorry you missed Easter dinner with the family but this is a positive solution. Replacing the DEF, Star knowing how to rest the countdown and $$ for your losses seems as fair as we ever get. My simple call to customer care was good as well. Perhaps FCA has found a new soul? Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We had this issue on our trip this weekend (2014 with ~7200 miles when the issue popped up, refilled DEF around 3 weeks ago with BlueDEF). Fortunately, were about 120 miles from the Carson City Ram dealership and were able to drop in. I didn't get the exact code the tech scanned, but it was "Insufficient DEF Quality".

He said the STAR recommendation was to empty, clean, and refill the DEF tank, them reprogram the ECM with the latest firmware. It was going to be Tuesday before they could schedule us to get the tank drained and cleaned, so I had them update the ECM on the spot and topped it off with Mopar DEF. For some reason, the tech could not tell me if the firmware he programmed was the same version or an update (I was eager to know if the DEF quality parameters had been tuned). The rest of our trip (~700 miles) went fine.

FWIW, when I went to the parts counter to get the DEF, the guy asked what kind of DEF I had put in on my previous fill. He said that the one common denominator across all the DEF quality issues they get is BlueDEF. I guess I will stick with the overpriced Mopar stuff from now on.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
I have been using the really cheap Wally World brand to good results. $7.88/2.5 gallon. I am so happy to hear the results of your little incident. All diesel owners need to get in to a dealer and get the latest firmware update from about 2 months ago I believe. How would they clean the DEF tank? It may be more people are buying BlueDEF so it shows up as a problem more????

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have been using the really cheap Wally World brand to good results. $7.88/2.5 gallon. I am so happy to hear the results of your little incident. All diesel owners need to get in to a dealer and get the latest firmware update from about 2 months ago I believe. How would they clean the DEF tank? It may be more people are buying BlueDEF so it shows up as a problem more????

RD,

The interesting thing is your DEF container is the container of the Mopar DEF (Mopar is white though). Maybe you inadvertently found the manufacturer of Mopar DEF :). Is there a LOT and PKG number on yours?

-Tyler

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Interesting. The container itself is made by LEE with a Q around it. It is API certified. It is stamped with: BSE-4485-C62616 Part # STECHDEF
No Lot or PKG number I can find. I have a second one with a different BSE number BSE-4201-050216 probably from a year ago. Same part #. I don’t recall if the aluminum cap seal had any markings.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
21 Participants
mikesee
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing