·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any more info on this? I've got an April 2016 diesel. I tried searching and can not find anything on this.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to find it again and timed out again. This is a global TSB and the engines may not have been shipped to the US
TSB 09-013-16
released on 09/23/2016
This bulletin applies to vehicles built on April 15, 2016 (MDH 0415XX)
equipped with the 3.0L I4 ECO Diesel Engine (Sales Code EXG).
A long parts list and 13.7hr to repair is included with the TSB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll talk to my dealer about it. My van has a vibration/shudder when it is under load. The dealer can not figure out what the problem is. It does it in all gears and is the worst at around 35-45 mph. They think it's engine tuning related, but also have not ruled out an axel problem. At this point they don't want to just swap parts to see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Which tire set do you have on it, Vancos or Nexans?

The VancoFourSeasons are notorious for being out of round which will not balance unless a well-trained tech uses a truck wheel 'road-force' balance machine which analyzes the balance & finishes by spinning the wheel/tire against a roller with xxx pounds force to give the technician a weight solution pattern that nearly compensates for FCA buying 2nd quality tires.

I battled the 35mph hop for the longest time until I demanded my dealer drive the van at highway speeds for an hour to get the rubber husks as hot & soft as possible before they balanced them, only then did their notes reveal two of the tires had 30 and two had 50+ pounds of out-of-balance forces. (Note: a Honda technician said Hondas' condemning limit on road-force is 28lbs) There remain some highway speed points where some shudder/hop is noticeable while the tires are cold and it NEVER feels like its riding on rails, kind of floats.

I had a commercial trucking tire outfit (across from TireRack headquarters, TR refused to work on the PMs 'dualie style' rims) write out three of five of the tires were condemnable and the dealer just sniffed and mumbled that's not how we do it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got the Vancos. I think that has a better chance of being the problem.

The van is going to the dealer on Monday to have the DEF fill pipe replaced. On my first DEF refill, after pouring in about a gallon, it started pouring out the underside of the van. I'll have them spend some time checking the tire balance.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I would bet on the tires as a shudder at a given speed IN DIFFERENT GEARS means the shudder is NOT the engine as it would be running at other RPMs at the same road speed. If I understood you it happens at 35-45 mph in perhaps 4th 5th and 6th? If so it is probably not engine. Your comment about “under load” suggests it may be drive chain related, but after the transmission, perhaps the half shafts, wheels or tires. Give the service people really clear symptoms to avoid misdiagnosis. If it is reproducible get them to drive the van while you ride to make clear what you are experiencing. I have had times that the service folks have told me “It can’t do that.” It almost required physical restraint to get through that!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The good thing is the service tech was able to reproduce the shudder. The bad part is he's not sure what to do about it. We'll be talking tires Monday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts