Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)want a fan that opens and turns on with thermostat so unattended vehicle can cool a bit)
2)want a fan that can run protected from rain (for unattended or at night)
3)want a fan with variable speed - will probably run at a slow speed - dont' want a strong breeze, just get rid of hot air
4) would like to get it installed (just don't have the driveway/shop to work on it and don't want to "learn" on cutting holes in the roof).

so, have looked on internet and see both Fantastic and MaxxAir recommended. Questions:
1) the MaxxAir vent cover looks quite high (maybe 8-12 inches?) Is the Fantastic lower ?
2) with above criteria, any specific models ?
3) best place to buy / install - CampWorld seems to have higher prices but read somewhere that they install for $50 ? For installing would like someplace in the Mtn West USA
thks

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Hey outdoorvanman
I have never owned a fantastic fan so maybe someone can chime in.
Have a MaxxAir and it is 5 inches when closed. You can set it to any temperature to open
automatically. You can drive with it opened and in the rain. 10 speeds and reverse.(10 also).
With remote control.

MAXXFAN Deluxe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 2 MaxxAir Deluxe fans, one set to draw air in and the other to exhaust it out. I leave them both open when the van is parked, even in the rain. No problems with water getting in. I have driven with them open too, but usually don't because of the additional road noise when open. As skylights, they provide more light when open, but still some when closed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just put in a Fantastic Fan this weekend. Make sure that whomever puts yours in for you lines the roof with plywood before crawling around on top. I thought I had it all covered and was proud of my work and then noticed the dents all around the side where I climbed up. I'm not happy but at least it's on top where no one can see it. Still have to put on the air conditioner and roof rack so I'm going to be really careful then.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Another vote for the MaxxFan Deluxe model.

I installed one at the very rear of our van. With the lid down, its not too bad, maybe 4-5" tall, fairly inconspicuous. But with the vent open its probably 12" tall, and very noticeable.

But with the way the vent lid works, you could have it open in all but a really windy storm and it should stay dry inside.

As for the install, its not too bad. Did it myself, first major mod on the van. Hardest part was drilling the first hole. And with mine installed all the way at the rear, was able to do it from a ladder and not have to climb on the roof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thks for info - sounds like Maxx Deluxe is the answer - will just have to remember to close lid when going under trees, etc I'll place order.

interesting that can install from back with ladder - I'll have to look at that - then maybe can do a week deal with RV storage place for covered stall. How many days did it take from start to finish - accepting that it's first time and slow. My first inclination is have someone do it but keep hearing about workers leaving dents. seems like everything these days is DIRDIY (do it right, do it yourself).

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
I also have the Maxx Delux and it does everything you want it to do. You can most likely buy it for a lot less than Camping Wirld, their prices are unreal. I would bet you the $50 installation charge they advertise is not in a new Promaster! Most likely to simply replace an existing fan. Putting it in is not difficult but I can guarantee you that you can't get a good, complete job for $50 unless you pay way to much for the fan itself. I bought mine thru Amazon and would recommend it to anyone.

I leave mine open all the time, rain or shine, for ventilation and have never had any rain get in. I do close it the few times I run the AC, however.

Cutting the hole in the roof and installing the fan is kids play. I would recommend you make up a frame for it to sit on tho (two hardwood ribs should be fine. The wiring is nothing either just connect to your house battery with fuse, of course!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
When you get the fan just get familiar with it. Can use the trim case as a template.Triple check
everything before cutting. You can use an old carpet with plywood on top of that to kneel on
on top of the roof. In my opinion working off of a step ladder would feel awkward and unstable.
Best to be comfortable and calm. That's the way the job turns out the best.

I used bute tape (spelling?) to seal it.(gasket). I tripled the valleys with it (3 layers) .
Then a plywood frame inside that the screws fasten to. Make the wood frame first.
After it is all done I cleaned around the exposed screws on top with methyl hydrate.
(rubbing alcohol) and used butte tape on top of the screws, one inch squares and smudged them
on. One and a half year later and no leaks yet.

Oh just make sure that you clean any surfaces that require the butte tape with the alcohol.
That way there will be no chance to leak.
And that's how I did mine. It is really easy to do.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
I run my inverter (to run my fridge) and the fan all night long and the batteries never go below 12.3v and they typically fully recharge within an hour or two as soon as the sun gets up there. These fan don't draw much power but you do need a decent size, good battery set up, obviously that can be recharged during the day (that's why solor is perfect for this application).

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I'm sure you could run it off the van battery but the risk of having a low or flat battery when most conversions have a coach battery means few would make that choice. I wouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
^^ Oh ok, so it runs off a solar setup then. Not to the PM battery?
Sort of. It runs off my two house batteries that get recharged by solar. Never connect up anything like this to your starting battery (unless you want to walk)>:D

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
okay, thks. Will order it and then figure out the install.

will run this off house battery via 12v circuit breaker.

ps: really like your ceiling - is it 1/8 paneling that curved to fit ? How did you secure ?
I changed it since then. Yes it is 1/8 panel board. Used strips of wood to cover
the joints and #8 lath screws. Stained with "sun bleached" and 3 coat of waterborne
Varathane.
Here is another pic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Change looks great. I"m sure the sun-bleached makes it much lighter inside.

with the steel ribs so shallow - did you use stringers or just short screws not to pierce the roof - guess this would apply to the fan wood frame as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts