Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I hope I am posting this in the right section. I am planning to install a 2KW diesel air heater, which I purchased on eBay. It should arrive within the next few days. I opted for a small unit to conserve space and also avoid overheating our reasonable well insulated 159" high roof. I am considering two main locations, either parallel to and near the outside wall just aft of the driver's seat, or inside the sink cabinet, which is partially blocking the rear of the passenger side slider. I estimate the wiring from house batteries in the garage to be about 10-12 feet each way, so a 24 foot loop. Allowing for 10 amps at the glow plug start-up, I figure 10 awg wire is the best choice. Just checking what others have done, and think makes sense. I know these heaters can have problems if there is inadequate current reaching them on start-up.

The other question is really about location. I know some members here have used the location behind the driver's seat. Any tips or suggestions for that? I know it's a bit tight there, but seems doable. How about running transverse in front of the slider? Problems?

I am considering options for the fuel tank, and my two best choices are either:
1. in the engine compartment above the fuse box on driver's side [most likely finding a 1 gal + or - lawnmower fuel tank]
2. undermount with a fabricated drop down bracket inspired by Phranc and shown here: see post #189

For those of you who have been there and done that, please tell me what you think.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have had no problems with behind the driver's seat. Just make sure you have enough space for the unit and ducting. It's a little tight underneath, but nothing that can't be managed with a little measuring and some small test holes. Under your sink cabinet should be fine, too, given the same precautions. I ran 12ga wire (6ft one-way) and have no problem with start up.

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
99 Posts
Regarding mounting position: I would suggest giving lots of thought on where you want the heat/ducting running. This could influence the location. I was considering placing mine behind the drivers seat but ended up placing it just inside the slider, forward of the passenger wheel well. I used a T-duct so I can heat both under my raised bed and have duct running toward the cab area.

Wiring for the heater: Yes, plan on 10 amp draw during startup for the glowplug. One trick to minimize your run is that you can ground the heater to the van body instead of relying on the negative going all the way back to your negative bus bar / terminal. This assumes your auxillary system is also grounded to the van body. The benefit here, is that the resistance of the van body is 0 so you only have to account for the voltage one-way (not two-ways) and thus can use a smaller gauge wire. The tradeoff is that you are relying on a ground to the van body that could theoretically fail due to corrosion, rust, loosening, etc. Depends how well you establish the ground ;)

Regarding a tank: Most of us who have gone "under the hood" are using the 5 Liter tank.Using the lowest setting (1.6hz) you can calculate the fuel usage to be 2.7L per 24 running hours. For those of us who are just camping with these vans that's usually fine, because we're not actually running the heater all 24 hours of a day (we're driving to he adventure, hiking, skiing, etc. during the day). So for me I can get 4-5 days out of a 5L tank on a camping trip. For lifers, who are parked with the heater on all day, they probably want a larger tank so they're not refilling it every other day.

At first it seemed like it was going to be alot of work to mount a tank under the hood, I'm REALLY glad I did this and don't have diesel fluid inside the van anywhere. Definitely one of the better decisions I made. but then again, I don't need a big tank... Just the 5L

Hopefully this was helpful

1 - 3 of 3 Posts