Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying a 159 window PM. I want to install two bucket seats and a sofa/bed. Pretty basic conversion.
Where can I find a low cost upfitter to install the seats, plus flooring, sidewalls and headliner?
Any ideas?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
John,

Good idea getting the windows from Ram if you want them. Not too expensive and they look a bit more trimmed out on the inside.

On the other hand, I have not had any success getting any commercial installer to discuss putting additional seats, no less trim and a headliner in at a low cost. The issue is that because Ram does not make a passenger van (yet), every place I've spoken with does not want to take on the liability for installing the seats/seatbelts, etc.

I've seen places around here that will do a 15 seat conversion, but the cost is over $20K, and they don't respond to a request for just 2!

Or you can get the floor tracks installed and set it up like a medical transport van with wheelchair hold downs and a few seats, but the price is also very high, and it's hard to tell if it is "street legal" with the powers that be.

If you get someone to do a legal, back seat install, ask your insurance about insuring it. That gets interesting too!

I did a lot of research on installing some Sprinter seats with Sprinter clip in bases as some have done, but it's really hard to be sure that your insurance would back you up if someone was hurt in an accident. Seeing pictures of some of the installs that others here have done, it's obvious that it would be as safe (if not safer than the factory seats), but would it be legal? Tough to say.

I think life will get simpler when Ram introduces a passenger version of the Promaster.

Not trying to be discouraging, and I'm glad you getting into a PM!

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts