Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I'm sorry to see this happen to one of us, Phil.

I've seen a metal sheet with many many fine holes that is in a way similar to your film. They wouldn't have been able to break through that, though in trying, the shock might still have broken the glass.

That "hole-y" metal would let in less light, I suspect.

If your van looked more like an RV, they might still have broken in. They might think that laptops and cameras might be in there.

I have factory rear windows as well and am planning to put in steel mesh, partly as a visible deterrent.

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
The other side of the coin says "Visible deterrents such as screens, bars, etc advertise the fact you are carrying something of value inside" . There are a few videos out there that show just how easy it is to get into a Promaster (or any other vehicle for that matter) without causing obvious noise & damage.
Unfortunately there is no good solution other than a junk yard dog, electric fence or loud siren to prevent this sort of behavior and even then you may very well be SOL!😩

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Human nature, installed alarm system after the fact. Anywho installed several PIR motion sensors, I have a feeling this is like putting lightening rods on your house after the strike and never having another strike :)

I going to install a plywood blank in the mean time and contemplate installing an aluminum or acrylic blank with a window that opens.
I'll more than likely source from an RV surplus place.
example, @tgregg use acrylic, but aluminum could be used
ref: windows for rear doors on PM

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I have factory rear windows as well and am planning to put in steel mesh, partly as a visible deterrent.
I took a look at the other van that got broken into, security bars on the rear door windows and a smashed driver's door window, I assume he didn't have a partition.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts