Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discuss here before; however, with the advancement of technology I am looking for more recent experiences....

We had out van broken into last night.....the jerk broke the window and rummaged through the entire van while we slept 30 feet away. Does anyone have recommendations for a security system for their van? We will be living in it full time once the build is complete, so security is a huge concern.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've thought about something like this for when it is parked in my driveway.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076HHDNDC/

or the Canary version. Canary is a better known name

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B078HGYKFF/

Another option is to get an android phone and run something like TinyCam Monitor Pro. It can be configured to sound an alarm on motion, record to a cloud account and send an email. Obviously you would need a cellular line for it.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Small world. When I remember to listen to Steve Gibson's info sec pod cast, Leo is the co-host.

Even so, I have a lot of experience with IP cameras and generally under a certain price point, they are all bad. This is well under that price point, so please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes I have, it takes quite a bit of movement to set it off. The sensitivity is adjustable and I have it set so the wind doesn’t trigger it

I have a python security system with remote start. Works great, no battery drain issues.
http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/Products/SecurityRemoteStart/633/5706.aspx
Have you tested this system when it is armed and you are inside the van? I am just wondering if motion inside would set it off?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Small world. When I remember to listen to Steve Gibson's info sec pod cast, Leo is the co-host.

Even so, I have a lot of experience with IP cameras and generally under a certain price point, they are all bad. This is well under that price point, so please let us know how it goes.

Hi,
The Wyze Cam Pro arrived today, and I have to say I'm pretty favorably impressed so far.

Setup very easy -- working in about 10 minutes.

Externally, the quality looks OK to me.

It gets its power from a usb socket, and it has to be plugged into a powered on USB outlet anytime you want it to work. Not so bad for an RV, since most of us have USB sockets.

It also has to have access to a wifi network any time you want it to work -- maybe not the best for an RV.

I think the video quality is good -- it says HD, and that's what it looks like to me.

The pan and tilt work quite well and are easy to use from the phone app that runs the camera.

I bought the camera mostly to mount in my house next to a window so I could see what's happening in the house and what the weather is doing outside the house when we are away, and it looks like its going to be fine for that.

It has a whole boat load of features (motion tracking, night, two way audio,...) -- to much to go into, but this youtube goes over most it:

So, so far so good for what I want it for. But, not so sure about how useful it would be in the van due to requirement for wifi.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,755 Posts
Winston has WiFi!

·
Registered
929 Posts
So, so far so good for what I want it for. But, not so sure about how useful it would be in the van due to requirement for wifi.

Gary
Thanks.

Interesting product. I always worry about anything that relies on cloud storage. If the company goes under, cloud dependent things become bricks. At this price, the risk is minimal. Of course, then there is the question of remote access. If one has to open their firewall to let the internet access this thing, that's asking for trouble. The Internet of Things is a menace right now. Very few companies seem to be able to get even fundamental security right.

Since my van is parked next to the house, WiFi should work for me.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Hi Thom,
Definitely true that if the company goes broke, the camera is worthless.

On security, I guess it depends on the design and the company. They did offer a firmware upgrade during the installation, so maybe they are keeping on top of it.

They did not ask for any special access or port numbers to open -- pretty much like my internet weather station, temperature monitor, router, PV system monitor, ... I used to like to shut my router down when we were away from home, but so much stuff uses the internet now its hard to do.

But, I agree its all a security risk.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Hi,
Here is another camera with motion detection, full HD video, pan/tilt and 2 way audio -- you can yell at the thief in real time!

https://smile.amazon.com/Wyze-1080p-Indoor-Camera-Vision/dp/B07DGR98VQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530133301&sr=1-3&keywords=wyze+camera+v2

Amazingly, only $37.
I heard about this on Leo LaPorte's tech radio show, and ordered one, but it has not arrived yet.
Discussed in this segment: http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1497/dick-debartolo-giz-wiz

Gary
Hi,
Just a quick update on how this camera is working out...

Quite happy with it so far.
Easy to install.
It downloaded a firmware update when installed, and a 2nd one just today. So, hopefully they are keeping on top of security issues.
The app is easy to use and lets you rotate and tilt the camera -- I have it in a window, so when we are away we can use the same camera to see outside and inside the house.
Picture quality is OK to good depending on lighting etc.
No bugs or glitches (yet).

Picture out the backyard:

The vertical kind of smudgy lines are reflections from the window that the camera is behind.

Gary

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I have had a few Wyze Cam Pans for about a year now. They work well and have a lot of good security features, like emails and storing past video on the web.

It uses wifi, and at home it would not be a big deal to link it into your home wifi, even from out in the driveway On the road, you would need a wifi hotspot on all the time to provide a connection to the 'Net.

The ability to send an email when it detects motion is very useful, and it has infrared included so it has decent near-range video at night too.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
So.....it happened, middle of the night, cold out, in the driveway.
My van is plain jane and would be mistaken for a work van, not by design.
It appears they smashed the window, opened the door and realized it contained nothing of value to them so they took nothing, and yet I can add some water/food and go traveling.
Police said I wasn't the only van in the neighbor that got broken into last night, he figured the tool thieves were cruising around, the other two cars were not touched.
Of interest is how my perforated white dot window film performed. It's not designed for this but instead of shattering into a million pieces they had to punch a hole through the window and tear the glass away, I can see the value in security window film.

Food for thought in this case, it's 50/50, if they could have seen there was nothing of value would it have happen? if it looked more RVish would it have happen? **** if you do and **** if you don't.
The only thing that may have prevented this would be to install a perimeter alarm around the driveway.
That whole window is shattered, I can't tell exactly what happen, but it kind of looks like they started to peel the corners after the glass shattered but didn't fall, so they punched a hole.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts