Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious others think of this type of gate as a dual-purpose safety partition (i.e. "headache rack") as well as a security device.

Something like this is only $200. A 6ft high gate with a 3 to 4-foot "expansion". 3-4 ft doesn't cover the width of the van of course. I'll fill the rest with a solid partition behind the driver's seat to be an impact barrier.

Since my van will have rear windows, I can see through them with this gate deployed.
And importantly, it should provide me with some sense of safety if someone breaks into the cab while I'm in the back asleep.

·
Registered
808 Posts
They make these gates in varying widths. Here's a link to one that expands for 5-6' wide.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-3693/Dock-Equipment/Folding-Security-Gate-5-6-x-6

I've looked into similar smaller barriers, but have much humbler needs-- to keep my three 15-25 pound dogs out of my cab.

What sort of cargo do think you'd be carrying that would slide forward past the seats? Wouldn't hanging web nets or strapping down your cargo be simpler, more practical and rattle free? There's no cab window to break as you find on a pickup.

Any perceived security factor while sleeping seems dubious. Are you so sure intruders would break into the cab rather than the back windows or the slider? Tools and other goodies are usually stored in the cargo bay-- not the cab. If they broke into the cab to steal the precious Uconnect5 ;), wouldn't they just slide the gate to the side or would you padlock the gate? Wouldn't the act of breaking into the cab wake you, allowing you to escape out the back door?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I have a suggestion. A survey of thieves was carried out years ago to discern what deterrents might be most effective to deter them. Interestingly they reported the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a shell was #1 . No surprise there. Now I am quite reluctant to have anyone carry or much less discharge a shotgun in the van I wonder if a nice loud recording of the sound might be effective. I know they have dog barking machines and flickering lights to fake a TV look. I’d hate to think someone would need to deal with thieves in an occupied van. We carry bear spray since a product that will drive off a Black or Grizzly ought to be effective against a scrawny pimpled meth head. It’s by the bed.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the bear spray idea, RD.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They make these gates in varying widths. Here's a link to one that expands for 5-6' wide.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-3693/Dock-Equipment/Folding-Security-Gate-5-6-x-6

I've looked into similar smaller barriers, but have much humbler needs-- to keep my three 15-25 pound dogs out of my cab.

What sort of cargo do think you'd be carrying that would slide forward past the seats? Wouldn't hanging web nets or strapping down your cargo be simpler, more practical and rattle free? There's no cab window to break as you find on a pickup.

Any perceived security factor while sleeping seems dubious. Are you so sure intruders would break into the cab rather than the back windows or the slider? Tools and other goodies are usually stored in the cargo bay-- not the cab. If they broke into the cab to steal the precious Uconnect5 ;), wouldn't they just slide the gate to the side or would you padlock the gate? Wouldn't the act of breaking into the cab wake you, allowing you to escape out the back door?
Yes my gate picture was from Uline too.

I don't anticipate much of anything flying around. Most things would be in drawers I'm thinking. --though, if you watch some of the vandwelling youtubers, many of them have kitchen knives stuck on the wall with a magnetic bar as if they are living in a hipster house. I hate to have those flying around the van in an accident.

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I plan to have bars or metal screens of some sort on my windows (rear doors and sliding door). I like to look out when inside but don't want anyone breaking in and getting at my tech toys (cameras, laptop, etc.). So the folding gate is another defensive layer when I'm away from the van. They can smash the front windows, open the door and gain entry to the cab area. But they won't be able to get into the living areas--the folding gate will be locked when I'm away.

The gate will also be locked when I'm asleep. While it's true that thieves may try to break into the rear, the windows will be barred. And if they break into the front, even when I'm in the back asleep, they won't be able to get at me. If nothing else, it'll buy me time to get up and fight back with RD's bear spray or an aluminum baseball bat (or a perhaps a weapon more viscious...)

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Even a wood baseball bat would be effective if applied correctly. LOL. Speaking of vicious I could release our Jack Russell Terrier on them. He is small although he doesn’t know it but if they happened to have a treat he would lick them to death, otherwise he would fight them to the death. Sorry about the humor if you are serious and concerned about safety but I have several thousand nights camping in towns, cities, along rivers, in the desert along the MX border, in MX, remote forest service lands, private and government campgrounds, truck stops, Walmarts, etc and have never felt threatened. Go camp, get the bear spray if you want to be reassured, don’t worry. As Ted Simon said “The World really is on your side” (Jupiter’s Travel's read it)

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
461 Posts
My eyes hurt at the very notion of deploying bear spray inside a vehicle. /forum/images/PromasterForum_2014/smilies/tango_face_crying.png
Middle of the day at a Lowes, went into get 3 keyed alike locks for our new cargo trailer. Didn't have them. Went out to the van to check HD Online. Wife was taking a nap in the back. Thought my wife woke up and rustling around. Nope. Compact car parked next to trailer, one EU2000 on the parking lot, someone in the trailer trying to rip the other one out. Locked him inside. Sprayed REAL bear spray in the vent, emptied the whole cannister. Drove him around the Lowes lot for a few minutes (well maybe for a half hour). Went into Lowes and had security call cops. Dude never even went to court even though he was caught on Lowes security cameras. Over 2k in damages he caused, but I didn't lose the generators. Got a call from his public defender pretty much saying if he goes to jail, I would go to jail for using bear spray and false imprisonment. Sure was fun though driving around the parking lot testing out the PM,'s acceleration and braking.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
el Jefe,
I love it! I’d gladly have my day in court on that trumped up charge. I’d want a jury of my peers as no one I know would send you or me the hoosegow for that.
Remember “You felt threatened for your life and were passively defending yourself and the erratic driving was due to the fear and anxiety” Come to think of it justice was pretty well done and considering what would have happened if you just turned him in (nothing) you should feel better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts