Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ignored the warning to my detriment and today I have the joy of cancelling my credit card. No, I didn't order a $500 computer to be sent to Delaware, nor did I change my email address to one in Ukraine.

Fortunately, I caught the misdeeds literally as they were happening, so no net harm done, just some hassle. My sin: same password used on another site. I knew better

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do NOT Like to be pushhhheeed to change passssssssssssssssssssssssswords.
Probably wil live forum for-ever

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I changed mine and then they changed it for me again on their own!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why we need 10 character passwords with a mix of upper and lower case as well as special characters, to access a forum that people can read without an account. Are we storing nuclear launch codes in some sub directory somewhere ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is why I chose to use my Google account as my account information on many sites. The security behind it seems to be a bit safer than creating new accounts on sites with the same information, ie email and password on 10 different sites. Even some of the big companies sites get hacked though, so who knows.

Really, our credit cards should have a security pin to use it, much like our debit cards. But, for some strange reason the CC companies dont want this. From what I understand, they actually profit from the fraud, weird!

It is such a PITA to change out cards these days, sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Its all about stealing your recovery email address

I asked a friend who owns a mobile banking company about online security breaches and she had this to say:

Along with your really important passwords i.e. banking or any thing to do with money transactions etc, your email password should be right up there as your most guarded password!

She said once a hacker has access to your email account you are really exposed! The hackers could care less whats on this forum, they just want any easy entry point into your life to turn a profit .

So if your recovery email address on this site is the same one that you use for every day life and you use the same password for your email as this site or have an easy password to crack (the hackers run software programs to try pass words). Once they are into your email account they can send out request to reset your password for any account you have and they will change the recovery email address to their own email address. This may be how they gained access to MS's credit card account.

The first round of hackers likely just sell on all our information to another bunch of hackers who drill down deeper.

So hears my layman thoughts on how to protect yourself:

1) change your password to a new one for this site. If you used the same password for your email change it now! I don't think this needs to be to complicated. Use at least one cap, one number and punctuation, use 8-9 characters. Its not hard to think of something you remember using this method.

2) use a throwaway recovery email address, gmail etc. and don't use it for anything but junk.

3) If you used your normal email address as your recovery email and used the same password or have an easy password I'd strongly suggest you change all your sensitive passwords.

4) don't give any info out to this forum or any others other than a through away recovery email. No real names, phone numbers, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anybody else hate the new robot password mandate?

It's been so long since I ever used my email password I don't even remember where to begin looking for it.

Would probably be easier for hackers to find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm here with a new username, but only for a short time. I think I'l be moving on soon. The process seems unable to reset my password on my old account. It fails every time. At some point I'm sure I will get locked out of this account as well at which point I'll just be a lurker and read posts, but not contribute in any way. A forum is supposed to be an easy tool to use, where people can share ideas and solutions, but if it's harder to log into than a Department of Defense Level C2 system, then its more trouble than its worth.

Seriously, anyone in the world can come to this web site and read every singe post anyone has ever posted, without a username or password.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts