Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in contact with someone at Sussex Installation over in the UK about the reinforced handles and secondary deadbolts.

They will ship to the US, except you will pay 75 GBP (~121 in US dollars) for shipping on a set of locking handles.

However, they are the only game in town if you want secondary deadbolts on the rear doors, sliding doors, and driver/passenger doors. The locks are Mul-T-Locks, which are decently pick resistant.

These may be expensive, but they are more secure than the "hockey puck" locks on most vans, because most doors are not reinforced to install those lock brackets, while these locks from the UK actually have large metal places to protect the handle and other locking mechanism parts.

Another parts maker is Fiamma. They only make awnings in the US, but they make a product called the Safe Door in Europe. This is bolted on, and slides shut, then you push a button to lock it. (The reason for this is that you can push the button to lock it in the unlocked position, so nobody can lock you in the van when you are in it.)

I do know that security is an issue (I've my "Jimmy Jammer" locking plate on my pickup tested multiple times by people trying to pry around the handle to get to the locking bar), so I'm keeping an eye out on van security accessories that do the job, but don't look make a van look like a Third World prison bus.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is another link:

http://www.van-locked.co.uk/

More specifically:
http://www.van-locked.co.uk/Shop/Vans/Fiat-Ducato-~-Sept06TOcurrent.html

There are some other places that are findable from Google, although mainly in the UK.

Van Locked also has a selection of deadbolts, but they offer HeoSafe cab locks which can be opened from either side, but the thumbturn can be deactivated when the van is vacant so the door can't be opened by breaking the window. They offer a complete handle replacement called the SlamPlate which totally gets rid of the outside handle. Of course this means having to use a key every time the door is opened, but if the door is closed, it is locked, no ifs, ands, or buts.

For a lot of people, this may be considered extreme, but a lot of us are putting our livelihoods into these vans, and these locks will go a way to ensure our stuff doesn't wind up turning into a tweaker's meth rock.

·
Registered
363 Posts
GPS tracking is key for me. If transporting expensive goods, it will be a good idea to know where things are going and if stolen, tracking it and taking police right to it helps a lot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I guess some extra security is necessary if you are transporting valuable goods. How much does it cost to get all this stuff installed on the Promaster?

Before this all I had seen was a bank security Promaster. i think that is overkill, but some extra locks could be worth it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it would be cool to see an armored heavy duty promaster for transporting money, gold, etc. Even an armored version for the Ducato passenger van would be cool

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GPS tracking shouldn't be that hard to upfit. LoJack is pretty good for this, and there are several business/enterprise services which can show you your van's location in real time.

I'm not as worried about the vehicle stolen as I am about the contents. If a vehicle is stolen, I get a police report, hand over the VIN, police report number, and other items to the insurance company, and get a replacement. Most passive anti-theft engine immobilizers from the factory do a decent job at keeping the van in place.

If the stuff inside gets stolen (which is more common than a vehicle theft), then it is a lot more work. If the door is opened in an unobtrusive way, the insurance company may ask for a lot more paperwork, or just decline the claim and say, "sue us". Even if the insurance company pays, there is inventorying everything, figuring out what is missing, fixing the damage to the van, and so on. Having stuff stolen or a van vandalized can cost more than if the van is completely gone.

This is why I'm interested in security products for vans. It doesn't have to be armored car tight, but something that will deter with appearance, as well as resist a meth-head wielding a crowbar. Even the large hockey puck locks can be useless if they are just bolted into the thin steel of a door.

Upfitted security won't deter all attacks, but it makes it so that it will be a bigger fight, and with the handles that automatically lock when shut, it will ensure that someone can't try to take advantage of an unlocked door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts