Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd found some good rear door awning / crank windows but in an effort to be sure all my i's were dotted I've unfortunately realized that "Includes Trim Ring For A 2" Finished Wall, Does Not Include Sealant Or Screws" very likely means that screws ARE needed -- but I will not use wood or other porous material to secure the window to the van.

This requirement of mine won't just affect these potential rear-door windows but all of the windows I want to add.

Is there a substance I can use in place of wood? (If so, am I going to be able to find a shop that will use it for installing my windows?)
Conversely,
Which window brands attach without screws?

I'm thinking that I have to find a non-awning-window way to allow me to sleep with a window open (and doors shut) even if it might rain.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
Most of the windows I've seen attach with a metal trim ring and screws from the inside. The 2" "filler" may be just for finishing it off on the inside. Look at some of the other threads that have been posted showing how these windows typical mount.

I would advise against opening windows in your rear doors (for obvious reasons) but instead mount them on the side of the van as far Bach as you can.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Or as far Beethoven as you can.
Our windows had a interior trim ring and were built for a flat sided RV with a 2 inch wall thickness. The trim ring pulls the window in using screws through it into the main window frame. To get a 2 inch thickness I just added as second ring of 1” polyiso insulation and compressed it between the exterior of the van and the trim ring on the interior.
See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230713&postcount=48

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Celtec is a good alternative to wood. Can you post a link to the windows you are considering?

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I'd wanted to avoid that in case someone steals them out from under me, but I really do have to evaluate whether I want the risk of driving off with one of them open.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-18-X-...d=372042933576&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Not surer what your are trying to say about someone stealing or driving off with them open. I never close mine other than December thru March in New England.

Those are good windows. RD & I both bought our windows from them (not exactly the same ones tho). They will give you a deal on shipping if you get more than one but you have to ask for it.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The same seller has what looks like a non-opening matching window if you want one to just see out of. Stop worrying about the open window. I have left mine open everywhere with the fan running on low to keep it cool, New Orleans, Key West, Houston, Toronto, Minneapolis, Kansas City, and about every remote place in between. NO ISSUES!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Kinro...d=352142813490&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Of course you might want to threaten folks just for effect:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THERE-IS-NO...426029&hash=item43c3ca620f:g:PXYAAOSwEppUUas1

Or perhaps a sign to warn of a danger inside:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIATION-W...152735?hash=item19d8c7c35f:g:4lwAAMXQ-9hRF7tU

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
I think the reason that rear windows don't open anymore is a corporate economic decision, not a safety issue.

I don't recall a lot of old news stories about van drivers in the past dying because of open back windows >:D

The 2018 Toyota 4Runner still has an electric rear opening window.... doesn't seem to be an issue!...

Although.... the manual says, "In addition, exhaust gases may enter the vehicle, causing death or a serious health hazard. Make sure to close the back door and back window before driving."... CYA language!

just my thoughts....;) If I had 'em, I'd open 'em! Did so all the time in my 1972 Dodge Tradesman van!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By "stealing out from under me" I meant buying them before I did :) (He seems to only have 2 on offer at the moment that have most of the necessary bits and pieces.) I'm not worried about someone breaking in through the back window.

I'm glad to learn that there are ways of creating that 2" thick frame other than using wood. (You have to admit that if the window leaks and the frame is made of wood, that is a pretty big mold risk.)

As for the exhaust risk, since I'm new at RV'ing / Vanning, I'll likely need a checklist at first to be sure I've got everything secured. (I can teach my 12-year-old co-pilot to help :) ) But I won't need it for long. If I put the bed along the back and storage under with access from outside, then it is extremely likely I'll be closing the back doors shortly before leaving and I can make a habit to check then. Or I can buy a CO monitor.

I'm so wishing I knew more than 4 people who have the skills and tools (but not time) to help me do anything.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
By "stealing out from under me" I meant buying them before I did :) (He seems to only have 2 on offer at the moment that have most of the necessary bits and pieces.) I'm not worried about someone breaking in through the back window.

I'm glad to learn that there are ways of creating that 2" thick frame other than using wood. (You have to admit that if the window leaks and the frame is made of wood, that is a pretty big mold risk.)

As for the exhaust risk, since I'm new at RV'ing / Vanning, I'll likely need a checklist at first to be sure I've got everything secured. (I can teach my 12-year-old co-pilot to help :) ) But I won't need it for long. If I put the bed along the back and storage under with access from outside, then it is extremely likely I'll be closing the back doors shortly before leaving and I can make a habit to check then. Or I can buy a CO monitor.

I'm so wishing I knew more than 4 people who have the skills and tools (but not time) to help me do anything.
Don't worry about missing out on windows. They come and go like crazy. Every time you check theirnis something different. If you see something you like just bite the bullet and jump on it. Most that I have even seen just have a metal ring on the inside that screws into the window frame and iOS it tight the butyl seals it on the outside. No one here has ever complained about a window leaking to my knowledge - now a clearance light is another subject all together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts