Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you do it? I got the generic small cheapie one and I can't see any way. At least it will be facing sideways, thus not so vulnerable to sudden stops, but I need something to keep it from flying in a sharp turn.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
I have a small cabinet/shelf behind the drivers seat parallel to the side wall. I cut two 1/2" x 2" slot in the shelf about the same width as the microwave. Then I took a HF tie-down strap, ran it over the top of the microwave with a hook going thru each slot and hooking together under the shelf. It has a ratchet, so I ratchet-ed it up until it was real snug. I put a small piece of towel at each top corner to protect the edges. Hasn't budged in the last 1000 miles!
The straps don't block the air vents on the side so it works OK too.

Someone else on the forum (KOV perhaps?) took the rubber feet off the bottom chassis and put rivnuts on the holes. Uses bolts thru a shelf to secure. I may try that next time the microwave is out. It is described in the thread I had about battery powering a microwave... still working on that!

·
Registered
625 Posts
On our current 'temporary' build, the MW is simply sitting on top of the plywood countertop. Two slots cut either side, just large enough to put a cam-action strap around it. Worked surprisingly well.

On the final build, when it has its own cabinet space, I'll probably shim it out side/side and top/bottom with pieces of minicell closed cell foam. The foam compresses, but is quite firm. A few squares of it at each corner.

·
Super Moderator
10,681 Posts
I removed the plastic "legs" on mine and ran screws thru from the bottom of the shelf. I think I might have replaced the screw holes with ¼-20 rivnuts tho althtjough my memory is failing fast! Of course, mine sets in a cabinet with about a ¾" lip in the front.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Mine is not bolted or strapped down. I built the cabinet so that I lift the microwave and then slide it back, then it drops down about 1/2-inch into place. The microwave's legs and frame engage into cabinet so it can't move unless it is first lifted. Gravity holds it in place.

It's worked great for 10 years on my Ford van.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Same strategy as keeponvaning, ours is bolted through the shelf in three places. 2 where the front legs are and one to an L shaped bracket added to the back. It's all 1/4-20 into rivet nuts I put into the microwave chassis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts